“Total disaster”
Review of Mayfair Hotel

Mayfair Hotel
Ranked #46 of 51 Hotels in Shanklin
Reviewed 17 September 2010

I have just returned from a National trip with my 73 year old mother at the Mayfair Hotel Shanklin, what a disaster!!!. Taking into consideration this was a bus trip full of over sixties many with mobility problems i cannot believe National a large company with a good reputation use this hotel. There is no lift to any floor. There are 14 steps to the entrance of the hotel with two very thin small members of staff to assist 40 passengers with cases. There was no one organising the collection of suitcases after a 10 hour bus journey. My mother has quite severe arthritis in both knees and struggles with stairs we were given a roof on the top (second floor) having to walk up 50 something steps to reach the room. All the carpets in the hotel were dirty and the corridors smelt old and damp. The room had a double bed and a single bed, the sheets were clean. The ensuite was a joke it had a half size bath with a seat for the elderly ( on the second floor)and a rubber spray which was attached to the bath taps ( i was seriously looking for the hidden cameras i really did think this was a joke ). We went for our evening meal and had to walk down the stairs to the ground floor and then another two sets of stairs to the dining room in the basement. A dingey room with dirty carpets yet again, no ventilation other than when the room got so hot they had to open the doors on the the outside car park. Dont be fooled by the picture of the pool it doesnt look like that anymore is dirty and dry and has not been used in some time. On the plus side the food was edible if somewhat basic. None of the waiters spoke very good english but were pleasant enough. To make matters worse on the way back National made a complete mess of the booking for the ferry and were arrived for the 0830 ferry to be told we were booked for 0930 THE FOLLOWING WEEK!!!!!! luckily we were saved by Red Funnel the ferry company who did allow us on at 0930 otherwise i would still be on the island now and believe me 5 days on the isle of wight is enough to bore anyone under the age of 60 rigid!!!

• Stayed: September 2010

Reviewed 15 September 2010

I Booked the Mayfair Hotel on Saturday Morning through a last minute booking agency. Arriving Sunday afternoon, thought I had a good deal!
Walked into the hall way and no-one was around. Walked around for a couple of minutes then the landlady appeared, but walked past me to do something else, then she came back and looked at me as if 'what do you want?' I expalined about my booking, then she walked off again. I attempted to find Reception, when I eventually did she was sitting behind the desk doing something else. She said I wasn't booked in and after 5 minutes of searching and uncomfortable silences she eventually found my booking. I had room 12! Aaargh!!! had to be some kind of punishment! Just to give you an idea, I had to put a toilet roll behind the headboard to stop it banging everytime I got up to do something. I couldn't even bring myself to have a shower the ensuite was that bad! or box room with a sink!! I decided to go out and a few drinks so when I returned the memories would be a blurr!!! I must have a few because when I returned I decided to have a drink at the bar, I ordered a lager and the bloke behind the bar asked if I had the correct change instead of the fiver I had in my hand, I replied no, to which the barman wanted to look in my wallet just in-case I was lieing, I had my pint and trudged back to my cell where I counted down the hours to the next day!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank Callyeve
Reviewed 31 August 2010

I wil start with the postiive and there is only one thing which was the view from our room, amazing seaview! Apart from this I was amazed that we lasted the two nights. Blood on the sheets the 1st night, no one at reception to welcome us, had to walk round trying to find someone and when we did they had no knowledge of our booking and spoke little english.
No hot water and a shower that dribbled out if we were lucky. Complaints were ignored by us and several others in the hotel.
WOULD NOT STAY HERE AGAIN!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 August 2010

Where to start...a big disappointment, in no way lives up to its name. Very tatty and in the most part very dirty. Very basic rooms put together by a DIY amateur. The swmming pool is a stagnant pool of green water and there is rubbish stored under the bar building. The grass hasn't been cut this year by the look of it and there is lots of rotten wood on the outside of the buildings. Our room had a bathroom that does not comply with Health and Safety regulations as it had no window and should have an extractor fan fitted. The bathroom was also filthy and we did not feel safe putting anything down in there. Breakfast had to be pre-ordered the day before, never heard of that before. To sum up, don't go there.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 August 2010

We stayed at this hotel for eight days from the 13th August. We didn't know what to expect after having read all the negative reports, however we received a warm wecolme from the staff, our rooms (one double and one single) were both spacious and clean, plenty of hot water and clean towels. The food was very nice and enjoyable and there was a good selection of beers, wines and spirits in the bar with entertainment a couple of nights. Our thanks to everyone for an enjoyable stay we will definately go again.

• Stayed: August 2010
1  Thank diane186356
Reviewed 24 August 2010

I have just come back from a long weekend at the Mayfair, I found it clean and
comfortable, food lovely, service good, staff friendly and welcoming and will definitely
go again. Also perfectly situated for all the amenities of Shanklin and the surrounding
areas. Only disappointment was the swimming pool wasn't in use.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank 186402Jackie
Reviewed 24 August 2010

Myself and my 9 year old son have arrived back from a wonderful stop in this hotel. We were at first very anxious about our stay after reading various other reviews, however we were pleasantly surprised to find none of the awful events that were said to have occurred to other people were present at the Mayfair during our stay. The food was excellent, the service top notch and the stay was overall a fantastic experience. If you're of a later age however, there is currently no lift, and the stairlift only goes to the lower floor. So be sure to ask for a suitable room.

I would highly recommend the Mayfair to a friend, and wouldn't hesitate in going back.

Renee & Joseph