Hillside Hotel
  • Breakfast included
Holliers Hotel(Shanklin)
  • Pool
View Hotel
All reviewsmodern arthis teamisle of wightvegetable gardenhome grownsmall hotelhigh standardno tea or coffee making facilitieswarm welcomeoverlooking the seaunderfloor heatingenjoyable staywonderful weekendbreakfast was excellentdanishhousescandinavian
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 March 2014

I have just returned from a weekend with my daughter at Hillside .
This is a very special place
The decor is beautiful neutral Scandinavian with modern art , some antiques and wonderful attention to detail. We shared a twin room with was light bright and ver comfortable , it had a shower ( next time I will ask for a bath ) .
The food was delicious , always a good sign when you can't choose. The wine was excellent unusual and reasonably priced.
Gert was such a helpful caring and inspiring man and his team followed suit.
The ethos is one of locally sourced ingredients and as such he has developed an amazing kitchen garden including a watercress bed , bee hives and plenty of fresh vegetables .
Will I return , yes I would love to .
Ps I would love tea making facilities in the room I'm not great at getting out of bed without my tea and a larger bath towel would be nice , Minor comments when I have had such an interesting relaxing time.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank AnnaSussex
Reviewed 17 March 2014

A small quirky hotel where nothing was too much trouble. Excellent service and food. Basic but comfortable rooms. Exceptionally clean. Charming clientele. Would have liked in- room tea/coffee making facilities otherwise a perfect choice for our first time visit to the Isle of Wight.

Room Tip: We were on the top floor with wonderful views.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank LBroadoak
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Superbly furnished in Danish style. Bed very comfortable and room scrupulously clean. Breakfast well presented and the Hotel's Bistro in the town is worth a visit. I'll be back. Note bad Vodafone reception at hotel, though good wifi.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Kim P
Reviewed 9 March 2014

This beautifully restored 18th century home was the perfect setting for a relaxing break near the sea. Gert and his team were gracious and did their utmost to make our stay enjoyable. The rooms were immaculate and I had one of the best vegetarian full English breakfasts EVER.
My husband and I travelled from London without a car and were pleased to learn it was easy reach the hotel by public transport.
Bus #3 is your best bet and drives right past the hotel. (The island's bus system fantastic and doubled as our scenic tour provider; and the drivers are very skilled at getting through those narrow country lanes!)
We will definitely be returning. Hopefully next time for a longer stay!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Amanda L
Reviewed 3 March 2014 via mobile

Beautifully presented

Fantastically decorated

Useless shower

Toilet system needed urgent attention

Bed ridiculously small.

Breakfast at a Time of the day that I didn't realise there were two in one day.

No tea or coffee in the room

Bottled water and no glasses

Soaps and shampoos not replenished

Soiled bathroom towels folded neatly placed back on towel rail after I'd left them on the floor

One downstairs room with an open fire. Warm snuggly and inviting The other room like a clinical theatre cold and desperate

Staff extremely attentive strange sometimes extremely overpowering to the point of being in posing on a conversation

Question is would I go back would the eight people that I was with go back unfortunately the answer to that question is a No.

For a hotelier that has travelled all round the world, is a expert on business he really should look at his own establishment.

But thank you very much for a great weekend you were height of our entertainment and conversation.

Thanks again