“Better than the reviews”
Review of Hillside Hotel

Hillside Hotel
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Ventnor
London
“Better than the reviews”
Reviewed 12 November 2010

We enjoyed the food at Hillside as much as Michelin star restaurant in town – plus excellent wines at very reasonable prices.

The building has great charm – refurbished to the highest standards and furnished with design classics.

We have stayed in a lot of boutique hotels around the world – but Anna and Gert are doing something very special at Hillside and deserve every success.

Be warned though ....the care, attention and warmth is such you will not want to leave!

1 Thank BOBREGATTA

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 November 2010

Our stay at Hillside was exceptional from start to finish. Anna and Gert were the perfect hosts and made every effort to make our short stay here perfect. The room was spotless and very comfortable, with a breathtaking sea view. The breakfast and dinner served at Hillside were a real plus - excellent food presented without fault. The location was also brilliant - Ventnor is a great place to be based for exploring other parts of the island and has some great restaurants. Will definitely be returning here soon!

1 Thank Adam321
Leeds, England
Reviewed 1 November 2010

My wife and I spend one night here. All the good reviews are true. This place is great - I thoroughly recommend it.
We had a lovely meal in the restaurant as well.
If you're a couple thinking of staying on the Isle of Wight, this is the place!

1 Thank Boringmiddleagedman
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 7 October 2010

I stayed for 3 nights with my daughter in August. I found the owners Gerd and Anna were very attentive and welcoming. Wonderful views, breakfasts and the beds are so comfortable. We had a great time, and would love to return one day.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
East Sussex
Reviewed 23 September 2010

Stayed recently for 4 nights with friends. I re-iterate the excellent reviews.

We had dinner on two occasions. The food, prepared by the French chef, was of a very high standard and gave a choice on main course of meat, fish or vegetarian. Breakfast offered a wide choice of hot and cold food. Pre dinner drinks were available between 6 & 7 pm if desired and were priced at what I considered to be good value.

The hotel is immaculately clean and our room was spotless. We had no problems in sleeping with open windows ( as mentioned in another review ) and our room key was also used to open the front door if we arrived late.

In all, a thoroughly enjoyable stay and we would not hesitate to return.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
England
Reviewed 19 September 2010

Wonderful owners that are willing to go the extra mile to ensure that guests experience the most enjoyable stay possible.

If only all hotels had such commitment to great service !

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
West Sussex
Reviewed 18 September 2010

I must admit, I was a little sceptical that Hillside could live up to the very good reviews it had received on Tripadvisor -it sounded a little too good to be true. However, it was clear from the off that Hillside was a very well run small hotel with owners who really went that extra mile to ensure guests were happy.

The hotel has excellent views of the sea from all rooms, together with the dining room and conservatory. We were a party of four, my wife and me, and our two mothers, my mother being a little disabled and actually not so well right now, so we occupied three rooms altogether. All the rooms were very well appointed, utterly utterly spotless, with heated flooring, and all the furniture was in good condition and everything worked as it should. There are two lounges available for guests, with adequate seating. Everything has been carefully thought out and designed.

I don't know who the earlier reviewer was who marked the owners down, but I am sure he must have stayed elsewhere - the owner couple bent over backwards to accommodate all our needs, and took great care of Mum. Nothing was too much trouble and everything was done efficiently and with a smile.

We took dinner there one evening, and it was superbly cooked and presented in a very comfortable setting.

I have a few nitpicks, and they really are nitpicks I have to say:

The free WiFi was a tad unreliable.
Our double bed had this new idea of twin single duvets - I prefer a full duvet myself.
The room was a bit too white for my taste, I would have liked to see some more colour, but it IS a question of taste. (N.B. my wife loved the decor, so there we are.)

You will find cheaper accommodation, but you get what you pay for.

Would I recommend it? Certainly. Would we stay there again? Definitely!

I have no connection with Hillside, and if you look at my other reviews over the years, you will see I always say what I think!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank Paul_East_Wittering
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ventnor
The Royal Hotel
#5 of 9 in Ventnor
The Wight
The Wight
#5 of 29 in Sandown

Been to Hillside Hotel? Share your experiences!