“Little gem of a restaurant”
Review of Fogg’s of Ventnor - CLOSED

Fogg’s of Ventnor
Price range: US$11 - US$43
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: We are proud to work with a dedicated team of local Island Suppliers. Our meat is sourced from local farms such as Kemphill and Dunsbury by Island Foods Butchers. Our vegetable supplier "5 a day" is based in Ventnor High Street who works with an array of local farmers.. All produce is local and seasonal wherever possible, some grown in Ventnor itself. The majority of our fish is caught and supplied by Ventnor Haven Fishery, mostly caught the morning it arrives on your plate. Our mussels are rope grown in the River Exe, Devon. All our dry goods are supplied by the Island company Medina Foods. Gourmet Mushrooms are grown on the Island, as well as the tastiest tomatoes courtesy of The Tomato Stall. Our wines are supplied by Majestic Wines based in Wootton, giving us a diverse range of quality wines for your enjoyment. Locally baked bread comes from Sarah's House on Ventnor High Street. Thank you for making our chef's job that little bit easier!
Reviewed 28 June 2014

This is about the first time I've ever ticked the yes box for the "Is this one of the best meals you've ever had in a restaurant?" prompt Tripadvisor puts up, as having eaten in quite a few Michelin star restaurants I've eaten some pretty special (and very expensive) food - however I've never until recently started reviewing on Tripadsvisor.

We were expecting the meal to be pretty "OK" and reasonably priced. Instead it was spectacularly good and priced no more than you'd pay for some decent pub grub.

It doesn't really promote itself to be "fine dining" but it is better than some recent "fine dining" experiences that have cost us two to three times the price.

To be honest I wanted to have seconds of my main course (and not because it was small, but because it was so delicious), but that would have been greedy. However I did succumb having had a very light first dessert and ordered a second different dish to fill myself up on.

Highly recommended.

Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

Me, my partner and our daughter were in the iow visiting family and Phileas Foggs was recommended to us.
I must say that I could see why, the food was delicious with tasty flavours and the service was second to none!
My partner had the madras, which he said was just like the one in our local Indian (so a HUGE compliment!!) And I had the pork belly which was cooked to perfection.
The staff were friendly and very accommodating as we had our little one with us (8mths) and we felt that they welcomed us and nothing was too much trouble.
I would recommend to anyone visiting this area, as it is a short distance walk to the beachfront, so you could reward yourselves with a cheeky cold one and some yummy food!!

1  Thank Cheekymonkie12
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We checked on this site befor booking the resturant and the reviews were good.
We're we're very disappointed with the food, it was fish Sunday and the fish my
Husband and daughter had was bland, overlooked and tasteless. It was served with frozen McDonald type chips as the home cooked fat chips were off the menu. I had steak as I don't eat fish, this was my only choice and again bland. I was not offered any sauce so it was dry,fatty steak and McDonald's style chips. The scallops starter my daughter had was overlooked and £10 which
Was expensive for the standard. Desert we missed as everything came whith isle of white ice cream and the ice cream was off the menu. The menu on a Sunday night is written on a blackboard and that's it. So you spend your time in a very small dinning room staring at a blackboard which is right behind a table of four. We had to apoligies to them as there was so many things not available we had to change our order. We will not be returning.

4  Thank margaret r
Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

Another fabulous half term in ventnor... Two visits to restaurant ( as one is never enough!!) .. Mark and his team ( some new faces) where just as welcoming as ever... The new refurbishment is fantastic... Well what can I say , the salt and pepper squid was divine as ever , the squid was cooked to perfection , you can certainly tell all the fish is fresh... The lobster I had was also delicious... I felt very spoilt... I love the new bucket and spade fish and chips for the kids , what a fabulous idea... We are looking forward to returning in august so save us a table and have the squid ready!!! Xx

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Went on a busy Saturday evening. The food was OK but really no better than most decent pub food and at much higher prices. Essentially the menu was steak / fish with chips and salad, and the salad was lettuce/tomato/cucumber - boring! The best thing were the waiting staff who were efficient and friendly. The restaurant needs to uprate the kitchen extraction as there was an annoying smell of hot fat throughout the seating areas.

1  Thank Glyn S