“Peaceful Break in this Lovely Hotel”

Ventnor Towers Hotel
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Ventnor
Reviewed 7 June 2011

Just spent a couple of days back at Ventnor Towers. It was the relaxing break I needed which is why I have returned several times over the last five years to relax and recharge. It's impossible not to relax here in the warm atmosphere that is generated by the lovely owners and their staff. This coupled with the extensive gardens along the top of the cliffs overlooking the sea, it is not surprising that I met several other people who were also returning guests..
I've stayed in various rooms and always found them of good quality. They are all different which is part of the charm of this lovely old hotel. My room this visit was one of the new ones and I wasn't sure whether I would like it as much as the more traditional ones but it was lovely.. Blissfully comfortable bed with smooth cotton sheets. The bathroom was very smart with a roll top bath and separate shower cubicle. The bedroom was beautifully appointed and best of all it had French window opening onto the garden! I could walk straight along to the outdoor pool without having to go through the hotel. The pool has been completely refurbished since last year and is absolutely beautiful with mosaic tiles and smart steps down into the water. This must have cost an absolute fortune but was well worth it as the pool is such a lovely feature of the hotel. The water is heated so there isn't that awful shock when you get in.
The food is always excellent. The dining room looks out across the gardens to the sea and it really is lovely enjoying a meal in such a setting.
I would strongly recommend this hotel for its hospitality and comfort in a perfect setting.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank MissusWhicker

Reviewed 5 June 2011

We have returned today from a weekend away at Ventnor Towers for our wedding. The whole day was amazing in so many ways. Catherine was a fabulous wedding organiser and nothing was too much to be asked for. The team at the hotel were so helpful including helping to accomodate and transport the majority of our guests from the mainland to the island even when they had to use other local hotels.
The hotel is an older building but that adds to its charm and no two rooms are the same. The food was amazing, and we felt welcomed into the hotel as if we were family.
We would like to thank the team - Catherine, John, Pauline and Liz - and we are sorry we do not know the other names - you were all stars and made our day fabulous.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 April 2011

My husband booked this hotel from the reports from tripadvisor, I generally book all the hotels as I have worked in the travel industry for a long time and get access to the up to date guide on the hotels. The couple who run the hotel lovely people, but when we got to the main entrance my heart sank, it looked like a very run down and uncared for hotel, very shabby, inside the foyer was alot better, but the bar , and dining room looked like it had been left for over 20 years, very very shabby,.. The website is misleading, obviously my husband had booked because the pictures on there did look great. The outside gardens especially the slope down to the pool were falling down, children could have fallen down through the large broken gaps, I only hope they get this sorted out before the season starts, The breakfast was very good, but a great shame about the hotel, looks nothing like the website, if we had know I would have booked into another hotel

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank sd1407
Reviewed 13 February 2011

What a lovely stay ! As soon as we arrived, we have been welcome in such a warm way that we felt special.The service is absolutely superb , in the well old school style, it was charming. Yes,the choice of a cream carpet in communal areas is not really wise but the room was bright, clean and comfortable. The Bathroom is a must. You shouldn't take in consideration the never happy and very fussy customers review.(the basement rooms offer you stunning views on the garden) If you choose to stay in a proper Victorian building, built in 1872, you have to expect cracks in the ceiling,and multiple staircases.Let me remind you that if you can enjoy such stunning view, it s because the hotel has been built on the side of a cliff. Please believe me, its a charming place to stay, the traditional breakfast was served with style and kindness and was delicious. It s a lovely "old school" hotel, run by lovely people, far away from the impersonal chain hotels you can find everywhere for more much money.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank annesoseaview_IOW
Reviewed 7 November 2010

We are usually really fussy about where we stay & have been known to cut our holidays short! However, we have stayed here a couple of times now and are already planning our next trip. If you want five star hotel facilities then this isn't for you as it is a small family run business, so if you want a hotel where you are looked after personally and with such care, kindness and friendliness then this is it, they couldn't be more obliging, looking after us and our young children. The gardens are wonderful and our children loved exploring and the freedom they get in the grounds. There is a 'secret' wendy house tucked under an apple tree, full of exciting toys and treasures & in the summer they spent every day in the pool. The main hotel is full of character and is a lovely victorian building with beautiful high ceilings and the most wonderful views across the sea. The snooker room provided an evening of entertainment as did relaxing by the bar while the children played with the well stocked toy box in the lounge. We found the food great and certainly came back a few pounds heavier, even the kids had their own special menu when the daily prepared menu was felt to be too rich for them! We love this hotel and it is the people who make it so wonderful and we are looked after so well and are really looking forward to our next trip back.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 October 2010

My colleague and I arrived at the hotel at 9pm after travelling since 11am that morning. We we're tierd and hungry. we asked the reception if we could order room service only to be told they do not do room service. The receptionist offered to order us a take away which we did. whilst waiting she showed us to our twin room. to get to the room we were led down some stairs to the basement!! The carpets were ment to be cream but they were so dirty and stained they were disgusting and appeared grey! The room was no better, it had an old fashioned tv with indoor ariel that we could not get a picture on at all. the cold water ran warm when we cleaned our teeth! The sink wouldnt drain,it was blocked and The bath had soap scum around the edge from whom ever dared to use it before us! The room was so cold as the heating wouldnt work so we slept in our clothes! We did ask the reception for another room but she said she had none available! Next morning at breakfast there wasnt another sole in the dining room, we ordered breakfast and enjoyed the views. Breakfast came and as my colleague put her first fork full in her mouth she found what I can only discribe as a long thick curly chest hair!! that was enough! when we told the staff, she offered us something else but to be quite honest we couldnt have eaten after that, she left us sitting there with the plate infront of us! We went to pack, I went out onto the patio area to take pictures of the view as it was a lovely day with great surroundings.....unfortunately the patio was covered in dog muck! which I steppin in! Why would the patio area for guests be covered in dog muck?? We left very quickly, the staff didnt even ask if we had enjoyed our stay most probably because they wouldnt have liked the reply! We will never ever stay in this hotel again and i would not reccomend it to anyone, instead I will warn people away from it!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank howarthhouse
Reviewed 18 September 2010

This was the fourth time we have stayed at the Ventnor Towers. We have always enjoyed the warmth and friendliness of the owners and staff, who always go out of their way to ensure your comfort . There is a good choice of food on the menu and it is all home cooked in the lovely dining room with sea views. The hotel has a lovely warm, homely feel, we will certainly be going back.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ventnor
The Royal Hotel
#5 of 9 in Ventnor
2 mi away
Luccombe Manor Country House Hotel
Lakeside Park Hotel & Spa

Been to Ventnor Towers Hotel? Share your experiences!