“Lovely ambience”

The Royal Hotel Restaurant
Ranked #8 of 57 Restaurants in Ventnor
Price range: US$9 - US$51
Cuisines: Seafood, Contemporary, British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Drinks, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: The Royal Hotel has achieved 2 AA Rosettes for excellent food for over 17 consecutive years and has appeared in every Michelin Good Food Guide since it's inception in 1911. Lunch and afternoon tea are served daily in our beautiful, Colonial-style conservatory and terrace with its backdrop of rare, pink, climbing mountain geraniums. Spend the evening in our glorious, award-winning restaurant and the menu created by our head chef Steven Harris, is sure to delight and surprise any seasoned gourmet.
Ferndown, United Kingdom
“Lovely ambience”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Food and service of a high standard - the ambience is very good. Food is well cooked and presented beautifully. Catch of the day item on menu was always good. Starters were unusual and very good - can highly recommend the Ballywagga Soufle! Deserts very good too - the cheeseboard was of a particularly high quality.

Visited June 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Gloucestershire
“An impromptu drink that became lunch”
Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

We stopped in to meet family for a drink and stayed for lunch after being tempted by the menu. The food was very good and unbelievably good value (£15 for two courses!) with the exception of my wife's risotto main which was very bland (not just a seasoning issue).
The staff were among the best we've ever been served by and seemed to be career staff with a skill and understanding of their trade that was remarkable in the truest sense of the word.
I'm a professional gardener and noticed the layout and maintenance of the gardens immediately and enjoyed being in them.

Ventnor, United Kingdom
“Birthday lunch”
Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

Visited here with my parents and young daughter on Wednesday the 3rd of June as it was my 21st birthday the weekend beforehand. Although their lunch menu is a good price I was expecting a lot more and was disappointed with my meal. Drinks took a very very long time to arrive and staff that were on seemed a bit more interested in getting things ready for the afternoon tea than us. We all had fishcake as a starter which was nice I then had the seafood handrolled pasta which was very dissappointing as the only fish in it was plain white fish and nothing else. Parents said the risotto and rabbit were both very nice. I then had the creme brule which was ok a bit eggy however the homemade ice cream was delicious. Overall not a bad experience just quite disappointing as I was expecting more from it as I've heard such nice things before

Coventry, United Kingdom
“Wonderful Sunday Lunch”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We have stayed at the Royal Hotel a number of times but this was the first time we visited as a non resident for Sunday Lunch.
This was probably one of the best Sunday lunches my wife and I have ever had.
The starters were lovely but the highlight was the main meal. We both chose Roast Beef and it was done just as we like it -it was really tender. With a very large Yorkshire pudding, a good number of roast potatoes and an excellent selection of well cooked vegetables it was a generous and very tasty meal.
We have always loved eating in the Appuldurcombe dining room- it has such style. The staff had their usual friendly and efficient manner.
We know some would find the cost expensive but for us it was such a wonderful lunch experience that we think it is well worth it. It was lovely to come back.

• Visited June 2014
“Fantastic dinner”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We often visit The Royal, and are lucky to have such a fabulous hotel close to home. We visited recently for a lovely evening meal, the food was excellent, service as good as ever.

I feel that the hotel and staff are always very welcoming, and I always look forward to visiting the Hotel, be it for just a drink or a lovely meal.

Once again , many thanks for a truly lovely evening, we are looking forward to visiting again soon.

1 Thank isleofwight64