“Tranquillity with some good exercise”
Review of The Royal Hotel

The Royal Hotel
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Ventnor
Reviewed 29 July 2011

I titled my review based on my experience during my 2 nights stay with my fiancee for my 30th birthday, my partner booked the trip for us and I was a little worried because I have high standards when I'm not in my own house/bed :) however I must say this hotel didn't disappoint me at all.

The food! Amazing! Good choice for the 3 course meal I had, starter sea food soup, main pork cooked 5 ways, and chocolate heaven (very nice) for desert, my partner loved hers too, can't remember what she had though though the sweet was the citrus tart.
We also got a picnic from the hotel, very nice for a special occasion, we ate our's on the top off the hill with lovely views.

The room, we stayed in room 35, nice clean room, the bed was so comfortable, its was a little warm but we just slept with the windows open, the bathroom was modern but still was in keeping with the hotel.
We found the staff externally helpful, they couldn't do enough to make our stay enjoyable, they worked long days and none stop, I'm not sure what wage the hotel industry pay's but these guys and girls earn every penny they get.

And after all the wonderful food and drink there are some nice walks and plenty of steps around to burn it all off.

Thanks for memories the royal hotel and its wonderful staff.

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank bedrock123

Reviewed 23 July 2011

This hotel is the best !!!the staff were so friendly and nothing was to much trouble. We are going back with friends next month. The food in the restaurant is first class. I would recommend this hotel .

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 July 2011

We only stayed for 2 nights but very quickly felt relaxed and well looked after. The quality of the food in the restaurant is excellent and all staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 July 2011

As the IoW has many small amateurish hotels, it was a pleasant surprise to find a well run large hotel. The location was very good, with nice views onto the garden and the sea and a short walk into Ventnor centre. We did not have an opportunity to use the terrace, but it seemed appealing for an evening drink. Room was clean and well appointed, decorated in period style.

Dinner was good, breakfast offered plenty of choice and was good quality, however service was slow (staff forgot the order - processes should be improved to prevent this).

Room Tip: Second floor for a better view
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 July 2011

This is the 4th time I've stayed at The Royal and will be returning with family this month. The service is excellent, staff courteous and food wonderful!

Rooms have always been 100% comfortable and clean and staff ready to help when needed.

Looking forward to my next visit!

Room Tip: Book early for a sea/garden view, but if not you won't be disappointed
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 July 2011

Rooms drab but clean. No air con. No iron in room. No fridge. Stayed 3 nights. Beware - they call you every night at 530pm to 'check' if you want to eat in the restaurant. Ver annoying if you want to nap. We were then turned away at the entrance of the restaurant because of a no trainers policy. Felt humiliated! They claimed the policy was in the small print of their terms and conditions. We wouldn't stay here again. Not worth £190 a night!

• Stayed: July 2011
5  Thank GeorgeMcG
RoyalVentnor, Manager at The Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2011

I am extremely sorry that this guest was not admitted to the restaurant because of his trainers. I have subsequently reviewed our dress code policy so that this type of incident will not occur in the future. I have personally apologised and offered to make amends. Our dress code in the Appuldurcombe 2 AA Rosette restaurant is smart casual - we prefer our guests not to wear trainers or sportswear. The restaurant has a following for special occasions and celebrations and therefore in consideration of this, we suggest smart dress. The Conservatory restaurant is far more informal.

Reviewed 10 July 2011

The hotel itself is well sited in Ventnor and the grounds are well maintained.
We had a classic room overlooking the garden and sea (which is an additional cost), however the room was very small indeed and pretty drably furnished with a large water mark on the ceiling.
Didn't eat in the restaurant as we couldnt get a suitable booking time on 3 of the 4 days we stayed. The cooked breakfast was good, however cold buffet was a bit limited.
Bed was a standard double - although comfy.
Room facilities were disappointing for the standard of hotel - no robes, slippers etc, uninspired beverages and toiletries, no air-con.
Reception service was functional, however too much emphasis placed on making meal bookings as opposed to explaining the hotel facilities - ie where breakfast is served, providing info on the local area etc.
This is an established older style hotel which does have character, however it is let down in quite a few areas.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank imp1
RoyalVentnor, Manager at The Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2011

We really appreciate your feedback and we are looking to improve the areas you suggested. Our toiletries have been upgraded and we are in the process of getting together an information pack about the island to give to guests. At present there is only one centrally located on the magazine table near reception.

The Royal was built in 1832 and is run by the Bailey family who, over 15 years, have painstakingly restored the building. There is a constant programme of refurbishment and upgrading and we continue to invest every year in improving our facilities.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ventnor
Lakeside Park Hotel & Spa
#3 of 51 in Shanklin
Hillside Hotel
Hillside Hotel
#3 of 9 in Ventnor

Been to The Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!