“Great service, mediocre room for too much money”
Review of The Royal Hotel

The Royal Hotel
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Ventnor
Reviewed 27 August 2011

I was going over to the Isle of Wight for its half marathon, so thought I would make a weekend of it. A Times travel piece said that Ventnor was THE place to stay. The Royal Hotel was mentioned as a nice play to stay, so I thought I'd give it a go. Well, its common areas are very nice and the service is superb. The breakfast is very nice, and I had one very nice dinner: well cooked, nice atmosphere. However, I was very disappointed by my 'classic' room. I was on my own, so the 'single' room was literally a single - a tiny bed in a small, square room (I'd say, no more than 7 x 10 feet). It was very, very basic. I paid £120 a night, so expected something a bit more classy and comfortable - even the pillows were flat. Also, for that rate, I don't expect to have to pay extra for a newspaper or an espresso. On the positive side, they did give me a £20 voucher for dinner, I assume as an incentive to eat there. As for Ventnor, the village area is very boho, and I happened to be there for Ventnor Carnival so saw the illuminated parade. However, the seaside promenade was a disappointment; I'm still not sure why many of the businesses were closed at 7 pm on a Friday night in the height of Summer. In summary, there are several other hotels in the area that appear to be better value, so I'd try them out before coming to The Royal Hotel.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank doctorj42

Reviewed 23 August 2011

A well-positioned hotel at the top of the island budget that could do with a refresh and update. Whilst the rooms were clean and roomy enough the hotel just feels a bit dated. Which is not to mean classic styling, but a bit fuddy-duddy.

That said, one cannot fault the food, which was most excellent. Dinner and breakfast were a real treat and we were very impressed. Although the atmosphere was a little stuffy.

The service throughout was excellent, and the staff very pleasant and attentive.

• Stayed: August 2011
RoyalVentnor, Manager at The Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2011

Thank you for your review and praise of our food. We are very pleased to announce that we have been included in the 2012 Good Food Guide.

In reference to your comments regarding the interiors - we invest substantially each year in renovation and refurbishment. The lounge and bar area have recently been upgraded and this year we intend to update several bedrooms, the reception area and remaining corridors.

The hotel was very run-down when the Bailey family bought it some 15 years ago and it has been lovingly restored and was the first hotel on the island to be awarded 4 AA stars - something of an island success story! It's an ongoing programme and the Baileys feel passionately about preserving this beautiful heritage building. I do hope you return to see the improvements.

Reviewed 23 August 2011

I stayed at the hotel for three nights with my husband and parents last weekend.Everything was perfect,the rooms were stunning and the staff extremely helpful and polite. The gardens are beautiful and a credit to the gardener who even potted up some seedlings for me to take home, thank you. The food was incredible, beautifully presented and delicious. There was nothing to fault, this hotel is perfection and we can't wait to return.

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed 23 August 2011

First of all the premise for a bad review of this hotel is a comparison to other equally priced hotels on the Island. Which as I say are equally priced but are in a league of their own. This hotel is clearly geared up for 60+ which is why it seems to get great reviews!

Arriving at the hotel after our wedding we were hoping for something special. Unfortunately this wasn't to be the case! When we turned up they didn't know who we were despite the fact we had dropped our cases off earlier in the day, and they had been delivered to our room!

The hotel was very clean but it was very dated, we certainly didn't see any proof of any of the pictures in the marketing info in the room we stayed in! The corridors were long and dark and the room was a very boring decor.

The food the next morning was nice, if a little poncy... They feel the need to arrange it in some novel way, ignoring that though it was a nice breakfast.

If you are thinking of a nice coastal hotel to stay in on the island, think again, I can think of at least three places as nice as this hotel with a similar price tag, the George in Yarmouth has similarly priced rooms but includes a four poster bed a balcony and uninterrupted views of the sea, and lovely decor, food etc. The Hambrough also has similarly priced rooms and although we havent stayed ourselves friends have raved about it and so had michelin!

All in all, dissapointing, although it wouldn't have been if the price of the room was £120 as opposed to £240! (although the £40 compensation went some way to bridging this gap)

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HollyHarris
RoyalVentnor, Owner at The Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2011

I am a firm believer in TripAdvisor; however I think this poor review highlights some controversial aspects of online reviewing and I am grateful for the right to reply.

I would like to mention that the guests checked in at midnight and left at 11-am the following day. They spent around 11 hours in the hotel, most of which I assume they were asleep before writing this unpleasant review. Our Resident Manager apologized profusely for the mistake referred to when they arrived at midnight and they were compensated because their room was not to their liking.

In answer:
Corridors do tend to be long especially in a 53 bedroom hotel
The hotel was built in 1832 and is unashamedly old-fashioned. We are one of the oldest hotels on the island and take pride in our heritage and beautiful building.
All bedrooms are clean, regularly inspected and decorated in a country house style which I accept may not be to everyone’s taste.
Our food is a high 2 AA rosette quality and we have just been included in the 2012 Good Food Guide
The Royal is the first hotel on the island to be awarded 4AA stars and we are among only 30 other UK establishments to have appeared in every single Michelin Guide since 1911 - a fact we are celebrating in October with Michelin.
We don't seem to get great reviews we do get great reviews - we are extremely blessed to have loyal customers and this year we have been featured in The Times, Telegraph, The Independent, Tatler, The Lady - to name a few
Our guests are from all age groups. We are geared up to please our customers - whatever age.

For a family run 53 bedroom hotel these are significant achievements and I would argue puts us in a league of our own.

Obviously I am sorry that these guests did not enjoy their stay at our hotel, especially given it was such a special day for them. I wish them well and a happy life together but feel upset and bewildered that they chose to write such an unfair review.

Reviewed 22 August 2011

We stayed in the family suite which was beautifully decorated and appointed.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 August 2011

We returned to The Royal because of our excellent stays on 2 previous occasions. Unfortunately, the promised 'birthday dessert plate' did not arrive for my wife which was disappointing as I wanted to surprise my wife on her birthday with my son and daughter in law. The food was brilliant and hotel mainly very comfortable as usual apart from no hot water in one of the rooms which was not resolved after the first complaint and needed another mention on the second day before we were offed another room.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 August 2011

Lovely hotel, family run with beautiful gardens and excellent food. We ate out one night at The Hamburgh Hotel-Michelin starred- not as good as The Royal with dire service to boot.Also has a beautiful terrace with ace views. Recommended- although we did pay extra for a deluxe room.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ventnor
Lakeside Park Hotel & Spa
#3 of 51 in Shanklin
Hillside Hotel
Hillside Hotel
#3 of 9 in Ventnor

Been to The Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!