“Royao l Hotel Ventnor”
Review of The Royal Hotel

The Royal Hotel
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Ventnor
Reviewed 14 September 2011

We stayed at the hotel in June. Having paid extra for a front facing room we were disappointed by the small size of the accommodation. We have had larger, pleasanter, rooms in 4/5* B and Bs!! It was difficult to get around the bed because of the tub chairs to the foot. The little furniture there was looked cheap, and we had no conditioner in the bathroom. The food we thought seriously overrated, although since we do not eat meat or shell fish we were limited in our choices. Given the cost of staying at the hotel it seemed to us pretty poor to charge extra for smoked haddock and poached eggs for breakfast, and we would have thought the fruit salad should have been laid out as standard, rather than being something one had to request from the waiting staff.
Guests who have not brought their cars to IOW need to be aware of the steep cost of taxis from Shanklin and return. They cost us around £28.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the rear can offer noise from the kitchen and related units. We heard other guests com...
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Helen B
RoyalVentnor, Manager at The Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2011

Thank you for taking time to post feedback on TripAdvisor however I wish you had communicated some of the issues raised whilst you were with us, as then we would have had the opportunity to address them. We want you to enjoy your stay and leave feeling satisfied with our hotel and services. For example our chefs would have been more than happy to create different dishes for you - many of our guests have special dietary requirements, it's just a case of letting us know. Likewise if you were not happy with the room - we would have tried to find an alternative.

I know sometimes people feel awkward raising issues but really we only want you to have the best possible time and if we had been given the opportunity to resolve things during your stay then undoubtedly your experience would have been enhanced.

Very best regards

Reviewed 12 September 2011

The room was nice, but the press of water was very low, especially of cold water. All in all we enjoyed our stay, breakfast was tasty, dinner is superb. Wifi coverage is very poor and there is no option of a wifi spot in the room/

Room Tip: We had a sea view room, the sound of the sea was very comforting
Reviewed 5 September 2011

The service was second to none - all staff were friendly and welcoming without being intrusive. The atmosphere was pleasant and calming - no stress to be found.
The room was pleasant and the veiw was outstanding - overlooking the garden and the seafront
The beach was a amall walk away as was the town centre and also attractions - Botanical Gardens.
It is an ideal spot to do anything you wanted - outdoor swimming pool, beach walks or shopping in town.
The hotel is delightfully quaint with lounge, bistro, bar and restaurant with outside seating practically everywhere - to suit all walks of life - children included.
The food is absolutely outstanding - so much so it was difficutl to chose from the menu.
There was not much in the way of entertainment - but I enjoyed the piano playing on the Friday night.
Will definitely recommend it to friends and will be back again some time.

Annette Wilson -

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
RoyalVentnor, Owner at The Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2011

Thank you for taking time to post your review - it really makes our day when we read comments such as yours as we really strive toward complete customer satisfaction. Thank you once again.

Reviewed 31 August 2011

We stayed for two nights in August. Loved everything about the hotel. Food was great and the bedrooms very comfy.

Reviewed 27 August 2011

I was going over to the Isle of Wight for its half marathon, so thought I would make a weekend of it. A Times travel piece said that Ventnor was THE place to stay. The Royal Hotel was mentioned as a nice play to stay, so I thought I'd give it a go. Well, its common areas are very nice and the service is superb. The breakfast is very nice, and I had one very nice dinner: well cooked, nice atmosphere. However, I was very disappointed by my 'classic' room. I was on my own, so the 'single' room was literally a single - a tiny bed in a small, square room (I'd say, no more than 7 x 10 feet). It was very, very basic. I paid £120 a night, so expected something a bit more classy and comfortable - even the pillows were flat. Also, for that rate, I don't expect to have to pay extra for a newspaper or an espresso. On the positive side, they did give me a £20 voucher for dinner, I assume as an incentive to eat there. As for Ventnor, the village area is very boho, and I happened to be there for Ventnor Carnival so saw the illuminated parade. However, the seaside promenade was a disappointment; I'm still not sure why many of the businesses were closed at 7 pm on a Friday night in the height of Summer. In summary, there are several other hotels in the area that appear to be better value, so I'd try them out before coming to The Royal Hotel.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank doctorj42
Reviewed 23 August 2011

A well-positioned hotel at the top of the island budget that could do with a refresh and update. Whilst the rooms were clean and roomy enough the hotel just feels a bit dated. Which is not to mean classic styling, but a bit fuddy-duddy.

That said, one cannot fault the food, which was most excellent. Dinner and breakfast were a real treat and we were very impressed. Although the atmosphere was a little stuffy.

The service throughout was excellent, and the staff very pleasant and attentive.

• Stayed: August 2011
RoyalVentnor, Manager at The Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2011

Thank you for your review and praise of our food. We are very pleased to announce that we have been included in the 2012 Good Food Guide.

In reference to your comments regarding the interiors - we invest substantially each year in renovation and refurbishment. The lounge and bar area have recently been upgraded and this year we intend to update several bedrooms, the reception area and remaining corridors.

The hotel was very run-down when the Bailey family bought it some 15 years ago and it has been lovingly restored and was the first hotel on the island to be awarded 4 AA stars - something of an island success story! It's an ongoing programme and the Baileys feel passionately about preserving this beautiful heritage building. I do hope you return to see the improvements.

Reviewed 23 August 2011

I stayed at the hotel for three nights with my husband and parents last weekend.Everything was perfect,the rooms were stunning and the staff extremely helpful and polite. The gardens are beautiful and a credit to the gardener who even potted up some seedlings for me to take home, thank you. The food was incredible, beautifully presented and delicious. There was nothing to fault, this hotel is perfection and we can't wait to return.

• Stayed: August 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ventnor
Luccombe Manor Country House Hotel
#1 of 51 in Shanklin
The Wight
The Wight
#5 of 29 in Sandown

Been to The Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!