“A Rare Gem!”
Review of The Royal Hotel

The Royal Hotel
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Ventnor
Reviewed 18 July 2012

This is our second visit to The Royal Hotel in recent years and I must say that my initial review still holds strong.

The staff are polite and so attentive, with many recalling our surname and greeting us whenever appropriate. The rooms are clean, and spacious with decor to match the hotels ambience.
This time our room was south facing, and the views of the sea were glorious.

However, all of this pales into insignificance when you step into the hotels restaurant. I consider myself quite experienced when it comes to fine-dining and this is nothing short of fine! The waiters and waitresses are discreet but assiduously attend to the comfort and requests of their guests. The food is simply devine, with a wine menu unsurpassed anywhere else that I know of throughout the Isle of Wight.

Sadly the weather wasn't kind whilst we visited which prevented us from enjoying the outdoor viewing area or swimming pool. However, in the past we have used both facilities and again have no complaints. the lawns and gardens are well manicured and full of many beautiful varieties of flora and fauna.

My wife and I enjoyed our stay at the Royal so much, that we have booked to spend another 3 nights there next June, to celebrate our Ruby anniversary.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank James K
RoyalVentnor, Manager at The Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2012

How very splendid to read such a lovely review and we are all delighted that you enjoyed your stay so much you are coming back next year. We will endeavour to do something about the weather!

Best wishes, William

Reviewed 18 July 2012

After deciding on a night away on the Isle of White and some searching online we found The Royal's website and decided to book for one night and have afternoon tea, dinner, bed & breakfast. I booked a Premier room and I wasn't disappointed! The room was large and airy and was very tastefully decorated with some lovely Edwardian photos of The Island. The bathroom was also very large with a big shower and roll top bath. The only gripe I have with the room was that the shower fittings needs some attention and the knob actually came clean away in my hand and the toilet seat is a little loose; also the iron and ironing board that I call reception for was crap!

Afternoon tea taken at The Royal is a fantastic experience! The sandwich range is very good as is the selection of cakes and the scones are very light. I would have preferred a 1:1 sandwich cake ratio but I'm nitpicking and I'm sure I could have more if I wanted, we didn't even manage what we had so they boxed up the leftover cakes for us.

My girlfriend and I were delighted with dinner, every course was delicious and the staff were attentive without being annoying, a great fine dining experience. Breakfast was also very good, had the full english, naturally, and was again, excellent.

All in all just what I expected for the price and from a 4 star hotel - near perfection. Would highly recommend and stay again in the future.

1  Thank rehab71
RoyalVentnor, Owner at The Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review. It is great to get such lovely feedback.

Reviewed 16 July 2012

This is a hotel of two reviews - the food and everything else! Our experience started when we booked the hotel at the quoted rate - it was our anniversary and so we booked a deluxe room with a sea view, a champagne afternoon tea and dinner in their dining room for the following evening. Then three days later we received an email with an offer for accommodation with dinner included. I telephoned the hotel to see if we could have the offer. After a negotiation with the duty manager (the receptionist had no idea about the offer) it was agreed that we could have the offer - then my husband received a confirmation that only included one dinner on the evening already booked, not on every evening as on the offer. The manager actually said that we were sent the offer by mistake and it was only on offer for new bookings, I pointed out that we were well in time to cancel our booking and make a new booking! Anyway I really couldn't be bothered to call and have another long discussion so we just left it with one dinner included which in the circumstances seemed good enough.

When we arrived we were given room 47 - it is a deluxe room but it is opposite the lift so very noisy - avoid it if you can. The room had a very large bed - only it is a shame that the sheets were too small and impossible to tuck in properly.

Breakfast is served in the dining room. The menu is good and the food very well prepared even if the eggs could be a lot hotter. But why, in a hotel of this standard, is coffee not served individually but from a large glass container by a waitress. Not only is it 'stewed' but getting another cup is a feat of endurance.

Afternoon tea was delicious but we were sat at a table in the conservatory which is just by the doors to the bar - the doors are kept open and it is very draughty so we asked for a different table but none were available. We had tea at 4.15 only children's supper is also served in the not very large conservatory not long after this so we spent half of our tea time listen to various kids screaming, crying and their parents trying to get them to eat! I would strongly recommend booking tea at an earlier time.

My husband asked specially if we could have a table for our anniversary supper by the window in the dining room and definitely not in the middle of the dining room by the door that was used for service by the waiting staff. So as you can guess, we were given a table in the middle of the dining room by the serving door! We were given menus but no one asked us if we would like to order a drink! The waitress came to take our food order and I pointed this out which was met with complete indifference so we just ordered a bottled wine. The shame of this dining room is that having been completely irritated by the service the food is absolutely delicious. I had a cheese souffle to start, my husband a terrine and we both had pork tenderloin for main course and a 'taste of summer' for pudding - all simply fabulous.

When we checked out our bill included the dinner that was supposed to included in the room cost. At this point my husband asked to see the duty manager who then heard all our complaints! She did take off the cost of our dinner, she only charged us for a standard room, and the glasses of champagne with our tea, which is actually all she could do in the circumstances. We have also had an email from the hotel since coming home to apologise again. But really to have these complaints at the end of three days away to celebrate our first anniversary is not what you want.

I would really compliment the head chef here as the food is outstanding and you can eat at the hotel without being a resident.

Room Tip: Do ask for a room with a sea view but avoid room 47
1  Thank Andrea H
RoyalVentnor, Front Office Manager at The Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2012

I can only do what I have already done face-to-face and via email only this time publicly and that is to say I am very sorry that you were disappointed with your stay. It was unfortunate that the window tables were reserved and I understand how this may have affected your dining experience especially as it was an occasion. We have never had a complaint about noise from the lift and this has now been noted. I am sorry the children were noisy when you were having afternoon tea, we will be addressing this issue in the future and thank you for bringing it to our attention. I wish you all the best for the future.

Reviewed 15 July 2012

we were self catering near Ventnor, so decided to treat ourselves to a special evening!
We were very dissapointed. Starter was good, but the "Catch of the day" was a bowl full of salad leaves and two small over cooked fillets of fish, with a bowl of new potatoes on the side.
I could have cooked this better myself. Maybe we just chose the wrong evening.

Reviewed 6 July 2012

You could be mistaken into thinking that this is a rather stuffy old hotel but how wrong could you be. From the entrance onwards with the most attractive garden giving a semi tropical feel, to the best dining room I have been in for years, this place ticks all the right boxes. Polite helpful staff are a rare sight these days but they are here in abundance. The food offered is breathtaking especially the new vegetarian tasting menu and just listen to the pianist on Saturday evenings.

1  Thank philip l
Reviewed 6 July 2012

Queen Victoria used to come here for afternoon tea, so the hotel offers The Royal Afternoon Tea, but we decided to wait for Dinner. The cheese souffle was the best I have had ever. Over 3 nights we sampled the local fish on two occasions and lamb and chicken on the third. The slight wait for the main course was rewarded by the chosen dish being cooked for one individually.
The staff are very friendly and welcoming. All 4 star facilities were present except a spa, with free wifi in Reception. The whole hotel seems to have been tastefully refurbished to maintain the original style. A couple of things to note - an extra charge for lobster (local) or beef as well as coffee prevails for a £40 3 course dinner. Surprised the bar didn't bring any nibbles with the drinks.
The parking arrangements do need a complete rethink and it's a steep walk down AND back from the beach!
By the way, if you intend to visit all the attractions bring your satnav - the white roads are thrilling and will soon get you back on track, but leave the limo at home.

Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 3 July 2012

Hotel is in good location and is clean. Room size is adequate but could use an updating in the bathrooms. Parking is difficult as primary parking is up and behind the hotel that has no back entrance. Nearest parking is limited in size but no parking spaces are marked and thus parking is haphazard.
Staff is friendly but "stiff" which contributes to 1950s feel. While a small outside play area exists, the hotel is not very tolerant of young children.
Food at hotel is generally good, but our group had a mixed opinion on the entries selected. Breakfast was good with basic choices available.
Overall, a good choice given the options in the area.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms higher up with a view
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank John S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ventnor
Luccombe Manor Country House Hotel
#1 of 51 in Shanklin
The Wight
The Wight
#5 of 29 in Sandown

Been to The Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!