“Fantastic hotel, charming staff and excellent food” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Royal Hotel

The Royal Hotel
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Ventnor
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Fantastic hotel, charming staff and excellent food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

My wife and I stayed here for a long weekend. We found the hotel to be an absolute delight. Our room was really comfortable and had a fantastic view of the gardens with the sea beyond. We had dinner in the restaurant on a couple of occasions and found the food to be some of the best we have eaten. We loved it so much in fact we stayed in the hotel for lunch on the Sunday. The staff are amazing. So friendly and efficient. They really are a credit to the hotel. I never normally bother to write a review on the places we visit but I felt that I really should on this occasion as we really felt that the Royal is a very special place. A fantastic mix of old world charm and service and modern food and presentation. We shall certainly be back.

Room Tip: It's worth the extra for a front facing garden room, purely for the sunrise over the sea.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
RoyalHotel-IOW, General Manager at The Royal Hotel, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
We all appreciate the time and effort that goes into writing a review, and I am pleased to inform you that the team at the Royal were really proud to read yours. Warm Regards.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013 via mobile

Lunch menu, there is one for your perusal, however, if you do not delight in eating meat or fish you will be left not only disappointed but also very hungry.

Having been here before and had delightfully imaginative veggie food imagine how upset I was to be told there were no options available. After a little coercion we were offered the evenings selection of Tagliatelle with mushrooms and blue cheese. Feeling totally uninspired we asked for a salad, this is what we ate and it was perfectly adequate. Why I wonder would such a thing not be on the menu when clearly it can be produced. Lovely environment, shame about the lack of thought and invention from the kitchen.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Michaela2468
RoyalHotel-IOW, General Manager at The Royal Hotel, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Thank you for your feedback. At the time of your visit there was not a vegetarian main course on the menu however you were offered a Mushroom tagliatelle. Furthermore there was a Gallybagger Cheese Soufflé as a starter. This was an oversight on our part when we printed the lunch menu that day. We can only apologise for this and have since rectified the problem. We are always happy to adapt dishes and to meet our customers needs and we are pleased you enjoyed your salad.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

Have stayed here overnight during my romantic trip to the Isle of Wight in September. Firstly the island itself is highly recommended - plenty of activities and places to visit, but car is a must! I chose this hotel because of its perfect location, good reviews and good impression from their website. Generally the hotel is nice and well cared after. Clean. Very good bar area and the outside area near the small pool. Fantastic restaurant - deserving a Michelin star. But the room was a disappointment - very tiny + very old furniture and bathroom equipment. Requires certain renovation if they want to stay on the forefront of the hotel industry. Generally recommended, but mindful of the size of the rooms better take something higher than standard.

Room Tip: Mindful of the small size of the rooms better take something higher than standard.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dm_boss
RoyalHotel-IOW, General Manager at The Royal Hotel, responded to this review, 19 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your very honest review, The hotel does have 53 bedrooms which all vary in size, decor and aspect, although they are all rated as being of four star standard by the AA. Warmest wishes.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for only one night alone as we were staying in a self catering cottage for the week and my husband had to return home unexpectedly, I didn't feel at ease where we were and hey ho I was the lucky one to have the fortunate experience of staying at the Royal!! The staff are excellent, welcoming and knowledgable, everyone couldn't have been more helpful. I stayed in a lovely 1st floor room overlooking the garden with a sea view, perfect for watching the sunset and rise! The dining experience was super,with very good food ,and being alone I certainly didn't feel out of place. Thank you to all the staff for making my stay a very happy one ,in which I plan to bring my husband back to enjoy himself one day.

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Gill C
We are really happy that you enjoyed your short experience at the Royal and look forward to welcoming back with your husband in the future. Warm Regards.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013

I can not recommend the food enough - the meals I have had here are some of the best I have tasted, and I have eaten at many highly rated restaurants. But, it isn't all about the food since the waitress staff are clearly very well trained and care about what they are doing. Just awesome!

The rooms are pretty nice too - more functional than 5 star, But then I stay here for the food rather than fancy TV's or King size beds. The entrance and communal areas are really comfortable, excellent bar.... and all ten minutes from the beach.

Room Tip: Try to get a room at the front of the hotel for a good view of the sea. Views from the back look ov...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
RoyalHotel-IOW, General Manager at The Royal Hotel, responded to this review, 10 October 2013
Thank you very much for your wonderful review. We look forward to having you back soon.
Warm Regards
Looe, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013

Just spent a fabulous 5 days at The Royal Hotel - such a special and relaxing place. Lovely lounges, superb dining room - 13 chandeliers [!] - only matched by the delicious food, great presentation and varied menu. The staff, without exception, were a delight so somewhere there must be a great manager. Totally unstuffy and I certainly hope to stay there again in the future.

Room Tip: We had rooms on the second floor but I think all the rooms would be quiet - couldn't even hear t...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
What a lovely review! I shall pass your comments on to all the Staff who will be delighted. (I did meet you during your stay but unfortunately did not get a chance to introduce myself, as it was in the middle of dinner service.) I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.
Kind Regards
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013

We were taken to The Royal for lunch on the occasion of my husband's 65th birthday. We had just arrived from Kent to stay in Shanklin for a week's break. It was a surprise to my husband and a delightful one! The food was faultless and the staff most attentive. We dined in the shade of the beautiful gardens on an idyllicly sunny afternoon. I know my husband loved every minute and it was a great reunion with our friends who moved to the island some 3 years ago. It would be lovely to stay here at sometime in the near future. Thank you for a wonderful time

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We are so pleased that you all had a lovely lunch, and hope that you will be able to come and enjoy the full experience of staying at the Hotel in the future.
Kind regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ventnor
Luccombe Manor Country House Hotel
BEST WESTERN New Holmwood Hotel & Restaurant
The Wight
The Wight
#6 of 31 in Sandown

Been to The Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!