“A lovely hotel in a great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Royal Hotel

The Royal Hotel
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Ventnor
London
“A lovely hotel in a great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2009

Stayed for a weekend at the Royal as a party of seven - extended family - and thought it was excellent. The situation, set in its own gardens and small outdoor pool made up for lack of sea views. Plenty of parking, delightful staff, good food, decent rooms - the weather was perfect and the round the island yacht race was fantastic.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
bouillon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2009

This was only the second time that we have visited to this charming hotel which is set in beautiful and well maintained gardens
After exploring the gardens and taking in the splendid seaviews ,on this quite warm February evening, we made our way to the bar where we were greeted by very curtious staff and enjoyed our aperitif in front of the open fire in relaxing comfortable sofas
After choosing our meal from the wide ranging menu we were taken into the magnificent
restaurant which is full of character and a warm friendly atmophere
We were made to feel very welcome and the staff provided a very friendly and attentive service without being too intrusive
The quality of the food was exceptional without a doubt-warm homemade breads, fresh fish from ventnor bay(the sea bass was stunning) and the isle of wight cheeses- good quality local produce cooked by an obviously highly skilled team
The puds were fab and we finished with coffee served again with homemade petit fours in the airy conservatory area
We have lived for many years on the continent and have eaten in many fine restaurants
and The Royal Hotel is up there with them

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
Cambridgeshire, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2009

We spent a long weekend at the hotel at the end of February. It was our first time there. The hotel was very clean and well-cared for - not a dud lightbulb in any of the public rooms or our bedroom which is a good indicator of strong management. We were delighted with the food, the dishes were well planned, tasty and well presented. We particularly enjoyed the fish dishes as the fish came from a local supplier about 200 yds from the hotel. Our room was comfortable, clean, plenty of light and the hot water was very good. Ventnor does not seem to have too much parking space outside the hotels, so it is useful to know that this hotel had plenty.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2009

We have just returned from our second stay at the Royal (this was an early valentines break as I have to be away on business for the actual weekend!) and was once again delighted with the service received.

The food is fantastic and as a big fish lovers, we really enjoyed the locally caught catch of the day. The staff are friendly and efficient and the hotel itself as always impressed.

Barely even went out into the area this time...but the hotel provided everything we needed!

Highly recommended for a getaway from it all hotel.

• Liked — Food and Staff Friendliness
  • Disliked — The Weather :)
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
St Albans
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2009

We chose to stay here recently to celebrate a family birthday. We were a group of very mixed age, ranging from twelve to eighty. Everyone thoroughly enjoyed the stay - the staff couldn't do enough for us.
We were met with a very pleasant greeting. Our rooms were decorated beautifully and were very comfortable. There was a choice of bedding (particularly important to my family as we suffer from allergies and do not cope well with feathered bedding!).
The food was outstanding - the best I have ever tasted, in fact. I would return for this reason alone. There was always plenty of choice, and even the more fussy eaters among us were highly satisfied.
The building itself is marvellous. The decor is attractive and there is a perfect, relaxing ambiance about the place.
We were very well looked after by the staff in general. I am not sure how anybody could stay at this beautiful hotel and not enjoy themselves. I shall certainly be recommending 'The Royal' to everone I know!

Stayed January 2009
Bristol, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2009

Could be a lovely Hotel but staff not very friendly - I stay in many hotels and felt this was uncaring. No help was giving with bags etc!

We could not have the room we were supposed to have so was giving other but this did not have the view we had booked. No extra pillows even when asked for several times.

The meals were very hit and miss, it seemed if you ate early you had a better choice, but we liked to eat at 8.30 so often things had run out- this was also the case with fruit at breakfast.
Service was slow - and I hate being rushed! After dinner we often did not get coffee as no one to serve it.
We paid for one of the better rooms so was also strange that we had one of the worst tables in the dining room.

I had asked about things to do locally as do have mobility probs. and was told plenty of shops and the sea near by, but these were to far for me to reach on my mobility scooter. Also the hill to the front was very steep not ideal for someone using a mobility scooter.

I ofter return to the same hotes but gave this one a chance and sadly will not be returning. Felt rather deflated by the whole experience.

• Liked — Nothing!
  • Disliked — Not disabled friendly room not always clean
  • Stayed September 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank PearlLyme
Portsmouth
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2008

A very pleasant hotel and overall we enjoyed our stay. However, when we arrived home I realised I had left my much-loved night-shirt in our room. I telephoned the hotel and a helpful receptionist called me back to say they had found it and would post it back to me. I was very pleased until I received a letter asking me to refund their postage costs of £1.94. Considering we had paid over £500 for a two night stay I was not best pleased. Was it really worth receiving £1.94 in postage stamps at the cost of our future return business at £500 plus each visit?

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Disappointing choice at breakfast
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank mjw59
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ventnor
Luccombe Manor Country House Hotel
#6 of 31 in Sandown
The Clifton
The Clifton
#2 of 54 in Shanklin

Been to The Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!