“Excellent Fish and Chips”

Ocean View Fish & Chips
Ranked #36 of 66 Restaurants in Ventnor
Price range: US$0 - US$6
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Takeout
Description: We are a traditional award winning British Fish and chip shop enjoying fantastic views overlooking the sea . We serve tradional fare cooked fresh to order all food is prepared on the premises Fish daily and Chips made by hand on the premises .We are open year round six evenings per week and the only five star rated chippy in Ventnor We are located at the top of Oceanview road at the top of the Hill we have free off road parking to the rear of the shop
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Very clean small takeaway restaurant. Parking is an issue. Food is reasonable priced. Delicious fish and chips. Fast service. Good choices on menu.

1  Thank Yarrumab
Richard H, Owner at Ocean View Fish & Chips, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2015

Hi Yarrub,
Glad to hear you had a great visit and you enjoyed your experience ,yes parking is always available to the rear of the shop (for free)

Reviewed 21 September 2013

This place by far is the best Fish & Chips on the Isle of Wight! Went there the day before but they were closed. Only open for lunch and dinner during off season I guess. It was worth the drive back across the island for sure. It was up there with the Fish & Chips in St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada. The chips were great, and the curry sauce on the side was homemade and amazing, the best sauce I have had a a chippy. There was a cue of locals so you know it must be good. It is strictly a take away just keep that in mind.

Hi Ken , Thank you for your great review and we must be doing something right if you think we are the Best ...... ,yes we are a very busy, if little shop and queue are inevitable...
Hope to see you again !

Reviewed 6 September 2013

This used be the best Fish and Chip shop in Ventnor . So what's happened ? Well its changed hands for one thing . And its now selling something that was the weirdest looking fish I've had in my life . I've eaten a lot of Cod and I've eaten a lot of Haddock , now I'm not a fish expert but I believe the only thing it had in common with either of these fishes is that at some time in its life it lived in the water . I say water because I'm not sure it came from the sea . The fish I was sold had no taste and it had no texture . I would never go back to this Fish and Chip Shop . I can
probably say that in less than 2 years it will have shut . Selling disgusting inedible food is never going to be a success . Come on guys either get your act together or jump ship but don't serve that rubbish . The chips weren't great either !!!

3  Thank CRonaldo07

Hi Ronaldo,
Sorry about the late reply but we have been really busy these past two years, yes we are still here. We are also sorry to hear you had a bad experience, as you say you are from Ventnor.?
Why did you not bring back your food for a refund or replacement perhaps, if it was inedible?
We Only Sell 100% Cod or Haddock, I also notice you have only written one review ... .smells fishy? :-)

Reviewed 23 June 2013 via mobile

This ought to be the best fish and chips in Ventnor, but it isn't! Spotlessly clean and professionally presented you can't help but be impressed initially, and the chaps serving were courteous. The fish was cooked to order and took exactly the time indicated. Took the fish and chips back to where we staying full of expectations - and boy what a let down! The batter was crisp but extremely oily but the fish was very dry and didn't taste like the ordered species but we'll never know, and the 'large' portion of chips could have been more generous. Will we try them again - no, not when the Haven offers such superbly fresh fish and chips we won't !!

1  Thank Fatboyriding

All our Fish and chips are prepared fresh daily. This is known by hundreds of our repeat customers. we ARE the locals favourite
If you were not happy with the food you should have brought it back, where it would be replaced or refunded?
Unfortunately you chose to review on tripadvisor and bad mouth us and at the same time recommend your OWN business ... ".Ventnor Haven Fishery" ............Haters Hate