“Great for the children”
Review of Old Park Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ventnor
Old Park Hotel
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Ventnor
Bath, United Kingdom
“Great for the children”
Reviewed 27 July 2013

Having read all the reviews posted on this website by other guests we took the plunge & booked a 4 night break in a "modern" 3 bed suite hoping we were well prepared.
Actually the hotel was charming in it's old-fashioned way, the owners & staff were really lovely & helpful, especially Laura who managed the restaurant & who genuinely helped to make our stay.
We were blessed with amazing hot weather and the food (and wine list) was above our expectations so full marks to the chef.
Although the rooms were dated in the newer wing they were adequate. We were given a tour of the rooms in the old wing when they were free one morning and have decided that we would prefer to stay in one of them next time we come from a space perspective.
We actually welcomed not having a mobile signal, the extremely poor TV reception & the poor WiFi reception - it all added to our holiday and the children (aged 8 & 5) had a holiday to remember & met lots of new friends. They loved the pool, badger feeding, play area & even the evening entertainment.
We ventured out further afield & had lovely days at Steephill Cove, Dinosaur Isle & on Ventnor seafront.
All in all we had a lovely break, thanks to everyone at Old Park & we will be back again for sure!

The Clarke Family

Couples
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2013

I have 2 year old twins and have just been to the hotel with the kids and grandparents for an 85th birthday celebration. The hotel and the isle of wight was perfect for kids. There is plenty of space to run around in, a soft play area, indoor swimming pool, large gardens, outdoor swings and climbing frame...... So perfect for keeping the kids entertained and making a stress free experience. There was a kids dinner from 4.45-5.45 and the evening food for adults was great. The hotel is a little old fashioned so if you want a 5* looking place this isn't for you, but if you want to relax and enjoy the kids, this is ideal. The staff were really friendly and helpful also.

3 Thank Vladka_trip
Windsor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2013

We have just come back from the Old Park hotel, we had a great longer weekend with our 16 months old son. The garden is great, the swimming pool is a good size and the play zone area is fabulous for children when they wake up early:-). I did really like the kids dinner from 5pm till 6pm and the choice was great, after putting our little one to bed we put the hotel babysitting monitor on in the nursery room and we could then enjoy a gorgeous 5 course meal while our son was sleeping. Marketa

1 Thank marketa k
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2013

We have just returned from a 4 night stay using the, 'book 3 nights and get 1 free' offer. We were prepared for a slighly dated hotel as per previous reviews and indeed it was. On the first day we brushed this off as 'we were expecting this, it doesn't matter'. By the end of the holiday it was beginning to get really annoying as other cracks appeared in the service and facilities. The list of issues includes (in no particular order):

1. No mobile phone reception, well okay, they cannot help that being where they are...but
2. No outside lines worked in the rooms. When we enquired, the owner just sort of winced and said sorry, they had just changed from BT and the new provider didnt provide lines in the rooms!
3. We were the only people in the hotel for the first 2 nights. That was weird. It would have been nice to have been told in advance. Perhaps the alarm bells should have started ringing? And all alone in a hotel with no mobile or outside line? What if there had been an emergency?
4. The outside area was good but around / under the climbing frames were very large thistles and there were old drinks cans around. Not well maintained.
5. The walk to the beach was overgrown with nettles, something another couple (when someone else eventually arrived) also commented on.
6. The indoor play area was okay and I cannot comment on the lack of heating as others have as we had sunny weather, but smelt very musty.
7. The inddor pool was so cold that I could not personally find the resolve to go in. My wife went in with our daughter but my son would not go in either. On the last day I managed to go in to keep my daughter happy and my wife said that it had warmed up as there was now warmer water being pumped in. So is it only heated on weekends when they have more than one family in?
8. The shower area for the pool was not very clean. We showered back in the room
9. The food was okay but I doubt it was cooked fresh. It seemed like pre prepared vac packed food. While it was all quite nice, this is not what I expect. My wife even commented 'for the money we are paying I dont expect pub food'
10. We were hoping for some entertainment but being so quiet, none was provided.
11. The bar area was infested with ants. The owner commenting 'I really must put some ant powder down'. Really? Ant powder and young children? Needless to say he didnt get around to it.
12. Our bathroom seemed to have been recently modernised and was quite nice but the shower leaked so after a shower we had to use towels to stop our 2 young children slipping on the floor. Also it seemed to have a limited supply of hot water.
13. The TV reception was awful to non existent. Okay, you dont come on holiday to watch TV but my children like to watch just before bedtime - it was so bad they couldnt. My 2 year old has now learnt a new saying, when the screen went blank every 30 seconds as it lost signal he would say 'COME ON TELE'.
14. I had previously rang to ensure they had wifi to keep in touch with work. When I asked for the code, the owner said the wifi wasnt very good so he could look up something for me on his computer if I wished. While he did give me the code, and I just managed to get my email, forget about doing anything else. The signal around the hotel is poor and the speed terrible. With a lack of phone communication surely the wifi should be upgraded?

I could go on about it being dated too, but from previous reviews, everyone knows this.
The only saving graces were our waitress Laura, who seemed to go above and beyond in an effort to cover the cracks, and the fact that our children didnt notice any of this (except the pool).

While the overall experience of this hotel was passable, for £240 a night it should have been a lot better. We will return to the Isle of Wight, but not here.

As stated by many, it could be great

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank John F
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 April 2013

We have some mixed feelings about this hotel. I found it on Google after looking for family friendly hotels. After reading previous reviews I thought I was reasonably well informed and did not expect it to be a 4 or 5 star hotel. We stayed for 3 nights in March. The hotel is dated but have friendly and helpful staff. The food was over our expectations, both for kids and adults. The intercom system worked well. There was always something on every evening for the older children. Our 5 year old begged us to stay for longer! Grounds are great and swimming pool is a decent size. However, it was freezing. If I would have known I would have packed more warm jumpers. I guess the owners were casually trying to save money and pretend that they didn't notice the cold. The dining room in the morning and evening was so cold. We were wearing our coats indoors. Also, the warmest place in the hotel was probably the swimming pool area. Unfortunately, the shower area outside the swimming pool was freezing cold and we ended up wrapping up the kids and taking them back to the hotel room for a shower. We had the same experience with the softplay area. The parents were standing watching their children play, hoping for the children not to catch a cold with their shoes off, with scarfs and jackets on. You just had to keep moving to stay warm. For me, this was a major flaw. The owner pretended that he did not know that the heating was turned off and said he would get someone to have a look at it. They were probably just trying to save some money this cold and long winter but as a guest you expect it atleast to be warm. The bedding was dated with a horrible brown blanket and sheet. The hotel room we stayed in had carpet in the bathroom. I don't know if they all do. I wouldn't have it in my own house and especially not in a family friendly hotel. The cream carpet looked dirty and I didn't want to think how many children, and adults, that had missed the toilet seat...

We met really nice families that had been coming back year after year. Everybody was saying that the hotel has true potential to be really great. It is a family orientated hotel that will be hard to find elsewhere. We have decided to try it again in the summer, hopefully without the heating issues.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank CharlieS854
Yeovil, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 April 2013

We found the hotel through a Google search: 'family friendly hotel Isle Of Wight' - I am very pleased to say that this place was perfect for our family. The set up of the breakfast and the evening meal is perfect, and gave us a much needed freedom and rest from the kids, we used the listening service in the evening which worked very well and we felt the kids were always very safe. The location is stunning and there's plenty to do - our kids are aged 3 and 4 yrs and we found this placE well catered for them...it must be said that you should not expect mod-cons and luxuries, but what you can expect is a very quirky hotel, set in some wonderful surroundings and being very child friendly...it must be said that the evening meal was amazing and should be given 5 out of 5...I would recommend this place especially for families.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank 980tomm
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 September 2012

We visited this hotel primarily to see the badgers which can be viewed from the bar as they are fed on the patio around 9pm. This was a truly magical experience.

The hotel staff were very welcoming on arrival and we found the accomodation clean and comfortable. Facilities were a little dated by today's standards but more than adequate for a short stay and the pool and games room a definite plus. The grounds are quite rewarding giving easy acces to woods and the coast path.

We shall definitley return, evn though there were no children in our party.

Room Tip: Bathrooms vary so if you want a room with a shower and bath you need to specify this. If a couple...