“Love this hotel, staff are fantastic and so are the rooms”

The Wellington Hotel
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Ventnor
Edinburgh
“Love this hotel, staff are fantastic and so are the rooms”
Reviewed 12 September 2011

We stay here every year when we go to the Isle of Wight. We think the location is fantastic and the town Ventnor is the best place to stay on the Island.

The rooms are spacious and most have a balcony which on a sunny day can make the view look like the Italian Riviera! The staff are really friendly and the night doorman is a great character.

Breakfast is high quality and nothing is too much trouble for the staff. The hotel is small enough that you feel like you get a personalised service.

We can't wait to return next March.

The only small issue is the lack of parking, not much they can do about that as the hotel is built into a steep hill but best to get there early and leave the car. Check out the spyglass inn at the shore which does great seafood and live music.

Room Tip: Front facing rooms often have balconies and a fantastic view.
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 September 2011

Stayed on a two night weekend break with a friend. It was my first time on the Isle of Wight and a wonderful visit.

The view from our room (number 9, a super deluxe on the ground floor as you enter from the road) was fantastic, looking down the cliff to the sea front. The hotel's 81 private steps from the dining terrace were handy for getting down to the promenade quickly, getting back up was equally convenient though slower and a little more breathless!

The hotel has lots of character with its lovely verandahs and arches all across the seafront side. The ironwork has a few rusty spots when you look closely from your own balcony, but I felt this was only to be expected with the salty seaside location!

The inside of the rooms is not ultra-modern but to me this is completely appropriate for the style and age of the hotel. The room and bathroom were medium sized with a wardrobe and drawers for storage, plug sockets, lamps and everything we needed. There was no mini bar but there was a hospitality tray and kettle as well as free slippers! The decor is plain and simple, painted white or cream, with white cotton bedding and towels and wooden furniture. The shower room was clean and everything worked well.

We really enjoyed breakfast in the airy, bright dining room with its terrace overlooking the sea - you can eat out there which is lovely on a fine day. I am sure it would have been a great setting for an evening meal or drink too, though we didn't have time to try this.

The staff were friendly and helpful and recognised us whenever we went to reception or the restaurant.

I'd say if you're expecting corporate chain hotel style, it's not for you - but then Ventnor probably isn't for you either. If you're looking for a comfortable, friendly, convenient seaside hotel in a brilliant location with amazing views, book it now. I agree it isn't cheap but I felt we had value for money and it was worth the price for the lovely balcony and outlook. It really did exceed our expectations, specially taking into account previous reviews on this site.

Room Tip: Check whether you get a private balcony or shared terrace - both are nice but you might prefer to be...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
13 Thank Charlie162a
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 September 2011

I've just returned from a weekend in this hotel with a friend of mine. We booked the hotel on a whim, having not yet read the Trip Advisor reviews. When we did read them, we were rather worried, as many of the reviews are not very complimentary. However, we decided a room with a balcony and a sea view outweighed everything else, and so we kept our booking.

We were not at all disappointed. The room itself was lovely - spacious even with twin beds, clean and comfortable. The view was amazing, and having the balcony just made it perfect. The staff were friendly and helpful, and the hotel itself is a beautiful building, and very close to the town centre.

To address some of the negative things that have been said:

We travelled without a car, but I can see that parking is tricky for the hotel. However, this is clearly stated on their website, and they do offer alternative ideas on where to park

I don't really agree that the hotel is looking tired and in need of TLC. I really liked the feel and look of the place - not too pretentious, but still smart and comfortable. The decor on the walls is tasteful and in good condition. The cream carpets had the odd stain in a couple of places (and they really could do with renewing the carpet on the stairs down to the restaurant) but they are nothing like as bad as some people have made out - I padded around barefoot quite comfortably!

The towels are absolutely fine - they are just clean, white, standard hotel towels. And I thought the complimentary toiletries were great - they are fairly posh ones!

Our shower was also fantastic - hot and strong.

The breakfast was fine. You serve yourself, and it includes cereals, fruit, brown and white toast, and a whole range of full English ingredients: sausages, bacon, fried eggs, tomatoes, mushrooms and beans. I wanted scrambled eggs, so I asked for them and they came quickly and were absolutely delicious, really nicely made. The only thing I might have liked were some pastries, but this is a minor detail.

We didn't eat supper in the hotel, so I can't vouch for the quality of food or the speed of the service I'm afraid.

When we asked for extra teabags and milk for our room, they arrived within five minutes.

All in all, we were very impressed, much more than we expected to be given the reviews, and I urge you not to be put off by some of the more negative comments below! We are quite discerning, I assure you... :-)

Sitting on our balcony until late into the night, chatting quietly and listening to the crickets and the sound of the waves made for two absolutely fabulous evenings, and I would love to return to this hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
11 Thank Louise R
East Grinstead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 September 2011

We have just returned from a marvellous three days. Our room was not large but fine for a couple. We had a fantastic sea view.
Food was good, but we have never had such slow service. Goodness knows what the chef was doing in the kitchen! Two hours for a two course meal to e served (we gave up on the idea of the third course). Today we had an early breakfast, noone else in the restaurant and had to wait 25 minutes for our cooked breakfast.

Staff serving were very friendly.

We think the hotel will need some TLC very soon otherwise it could start to look tired.

3 Thank Gill B
Orpington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2011

my husband and i stayed at the wellington for the august bank holiday weekend
and i cant review it high enough we had a fantastic time here the room was really good the restaurant and and bar were fantastic we ate in the hotel every night nothing was to much trouble for the chef to prepare for us and the bar manager (carlos) and his staff offered a service way above the standards that we expected - i cant rave about this hotel enough as in our opinion was exceptional

Room Tip: the sea views were amazing
2 Thank gillandmick626
Haywards Heath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2011

My Husband and I recently stayed here for two nights for our Anniversary. I had already booked the hotel when I read the reviews and started to wonder if I had made the right choice.

A few days beforehand I emailed the hotel to ask about a few extra touches and they were very very helpful, they offered Champagne chocs flowers etc.. I also requested breakfast in bed and they were very very accommodating. So I was feeling alot better and more confident about our reservation.

We had the Superior room (most expensive) which had the most incredible views across the bay. In general the hotel needs a little TLC which wouldnt cost the earth to make this a stunning hotel. Little things like a new shower head with a new washer, new towels, nicer toiletries. Matching upholstrey in the rooms and new carpets. If you can look past these things then you will have a lovely stay.

We didnt eat in the Restaurant as there were so many to choose from, we went to the Ale and Oyster one night and the Hambrough the following.. both were amazing.

Overall we had a pleasant stay, the staff very very helpful but it definitely needs a little TLC to bring it up to standard.

Room Tip: The best room in the hotel is the Superior Room on the corner above the Bar... amazing!
3 Thank ecoughtrey
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2011

Nice hotel with nice people full english breakfast was very nice. only problem i found was that it had very limited parking and if you have a long car such as an estate you will struggle to park outsdie the hotel even if there are spaces.

View was amazing rooms very clean.

There are a few bad reviews for this hotel on this site but it would seem that the owners are taking the bad reviews on board and working to improve things

2 Thank Pac1982