The Wellington Hotel
Old Park Hotel(St Lawrence)
US$195
Travelocity
Good 3.5/5
Bourne Hall Country Hotel(Shanklin)(Great Value!)
US$139
The Hambrough(Ventnor)
Great 4.5/5
  • Breakfast included
Very Good 4/5
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Breakfast included
All reviewslovely locationstaff were really helpfulventnor beachbalconyviewsseatlcspyglass
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 August 2008

We were pleasantly surprised by this hotel after reading the most recent reviews. Ok, the public stairways could do with a carpet shampoo, but other than that, we found the hotel to be clean, all the staff to be very helpful and friendly and will go out of their way to help you and the breakfasts to die for. No frozen sausages here!!

We didn't have an evening meal here, so can't comment, but if the breakfasts were anything to go by, not sure there would be anything to complain about.

For those who need a cup of tea first thing, take your travel kettle, as there are no tea/coffee making facilities. If you order through room service (24 hours a day for hot and cold drinks) you will have to pay £5.50 in total (for both tea and coffee, not each) inc £2.50 service charge, which I found reasonable, but we did expect the facilities to be there and I am a bit of a Tea Jenny!!

Parking - So what if you can't park right outside the hotel, the public parking is only a hundred metres away and an easy walk back to the hotel overlooking the bay. You can however, if you are staying for more than a couple of days, ask reception for a Parking Permit which gives you the opportunity to park in any of the public car parks throughout the island for nothing (otherwise take plenty of change with you) You could always call them prior to your visit to ensure a parking permit is in place for your arrival - The reception staff will be only too happy to help you.

The only thing I will say is that the hotel photos are a little misleading. The picture on the website is of the Superior room, not the Super Deluxe - so the room was a little smaller than expected. We booked a Super Deluxe (which, as smokers, meant we didn't have to stand outside the hotel to fulfill our evil habit!!) purely so we had a balcony. The balcony area is sectioned off from next door, but only by wrought iron, so you can see your neighbours, but that's not a problem. They have nice furniture on all the balconies and the room was exceptionally clean.

Otherwise, great views, great location and overall a great hotel.
Nothing at all to worry about and we would certainly go back there.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LaineyWebb
Reviewed 17 August 2008

This hotel trades on its sea-view rooms, which are described as super deluxe and cost £130. Yes, they have a fantastic sea view. No they are not super deluxe and they are nowhere near worth the money. Our room (11) was basically clean, although the cushion on the chair was stained and the bathrom was in need of regrouting. The balcony was OK but badly in need of repainting.

The door to the balcony could not be locked. I mentioned this to the woman after we checked in. She shrugged, said it was safe but that she would get someone to look at it. If she did, they didn't fix it as it still couldn't be locked when we left.

I also asked about parking and was told the car park in town was best - but wasn't told that the hotel can supply tourist parking tickets that allow cheap parking across the island. I later discovered they could do this, but was told they only had 7-day tickets so couldn't meet my 2-day needs. This left me (as I explained) having to get up before 8 am to buy a valid ticket in the car park (it's free 6pm-8am). I bit the bullet and bought a £6.60 24-hour ticket from the car park instead.

The TV had dreadful recption - no ITV at all and fuzzy ghosting BBCs 1 & 2 and C4. Signal too poor to get teletext to check weather forecast (and this is superdeluxe?). The hotel is also fun to navigate round. Because it is built into the cliff side, it is a maze of stairs and doors. That's fine, although a few signs wouldn't go amiss.

However, the biggest mistake we made was to have dinner. This was overpriced and largely inedible. My starter of Italian anti past came straight out of the packet from a supermarket - it was cheap rubbish. My partner's mozzarella and tomato salad, featured supermarket cheese and a remarkably flavour-free pesto sauce. The mains were no better. Overcooked duck and lamb. The duck came with what was allegedly cherry and port suace, but was in reality a jar of cherries tipped over it in the vague hope that some flavour might be imparted. The lamb was accompanied by four huge portions of mustard mash and came swimming - and I mean swimming - in a sauce that seemed to be made from a jar of mint jelly (and I mean a whole jar) mixed with cheap tasteless gravy. The sweet mint jelly completely swamped any flavour of the meat, and the mustard mash was left fighting with the mint for superiority. We skipped dessert... When I mentioned to reception as I checked out that they needed a better chef, she laughed.

This hotel has ideas way above its station and misrepresents itself online. Even the indequate guests' information book said it has a "justifiable repuation for fine food", which I suppose would be correct if that reputation is for destroying fine food and serving the remains with whatever rubbish they've bought from the supermarket.

All you really need to know about this hotel can be summed up by the fact that there are no tea and coffee making facilities in the rooms, but the guests' book proudly says that hot and cold drinks are available from room service 24 hours a day, for which there is a service charge of £2.50. Customer care? Yeah, right...

If you're desperate and not hungry or thirsty, the overpriced rooms are ok to stay in (hence the 2 out of 5), but in all honesty this hotel needs to learn that it can't treat its guests like muck.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 4 August 2008

This is the first time I have written a review but needs must. Any person or establishment who succeeds in reducing my wife to tears on our tenth wedding anniversary will receive the same treatment.
Having seen this hotel being built a few years ago I believed it would be a fantastic place to stay. After two postponed trips due to work we finally arrived on 27 July. Non existent parking was interesting but fortunately I enjoy spinach so carried all cases half a mile. Entered the so called deluxe sea view family room that was small, dirty (hair balls in bathroom) and sported two fragile camp beds to sleep my two children. as soon as the children jumped on them (as children do) they collapsed and went flying into the wall !
After seeing Mario the owner at reception he agreed to move us the following day to a 'better' room so no complaints there. For what is believed to be a family hotel the children could not do anything that was safe. Front door to premises always open no staff to be seen at many times of the day. Maze of stairs and corridors ensured you need a compass to exit.
Anyway after putting this to one side I held hope for the cuisine offered in the restaurant, especially after seeing Les Routiers and Michelin Guide stickers on full display at front of hotel.
We walked into a cramped restaurant that was obviously over booked, rude waitress when asked for table just said 'Its not my problem!' Anyway bottle of house white on decaying balcony helped pass the time. Once at table real fun began.
Menu arrived that looked promising for both children and adults.
Having travelled for nearly ten hours by car just wanted something simple and go to bed. Seafood starter was an interesting medley of ingredients straight out of a packet. Salad had the hallmark of yesterdays left overs. Steak and Salmon main courses were the best, freshly defrosted but still retaining the frozen centre ! At this point the childrens pizza and chips arrived, needless to say i stopped my children trying to eat it. We all got up and left the restaurant. I must have missed the warning but no staff could be found to deal with these issues. I eventually found the two waitresess in the kitchen on the next floor being entertained by the so called chef. What timing, as I entered the kitchen the chef was finishing a tale to his audience and laughing with a sickening racist punchline.
Disgusted I asked one waitress to accompany me to the Hotel manager and she recited what had just happened. At this point I had enough and went to comfort my wife. The following morning I explained all to Manager who could not even be bothered to take notes of all these issues, i was asked to email hotel !
At least she agreed that my comments had been made before but the owner would not listen!
This Hotel is a farce, misrepresentation on the website and appalling regard for customers. I would not feed a dog the food they serve and they are very fortunate I did not call the Police for the racist chef.
Most of us work very hard for the money in our pockets, do not waste it going to this so called Hotel.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank Spyglass1
Reviewed 30 July 2008

The Wellington's great advantage is its position above the bay, so it can rightly offer rooms with an excellent view of the sea. It was lovely weather and Ventnor looked great. But views alone do not make rooms 'super de luxe', and maybe the hotel is too reliant on this for its appeal?

Our 'super deluxe' room was no such thing: far too small to deserve that description; en suite with shower only; small basic TV set; fresh decor and curtains spolit by stained carpet (wine and worse); inadequate cupboard with no full-length hanging space (and upper row of hangers unreachable even by 6 footer), plus grubby fingermarks on the door; so-so bed with grubby valance; broken key to balcony still hanging on fob so no way of locking that door.

Our balcony was unfortunately in a row of three next to one occupied by heavy smokers so we couldn't use it when they were there. We had asked for a non-smoking room (are there still other kinds?), but suffered from smoke smells drifting into our room -- it was too hot to keep the balcony door shut at night. We might as well have been in a smoker's room. The Wellington should take steps to minimise this passive smoking problem -- by putting smokers in rooms with adjoining balconies perhaps.

The breakfasts were good (dinner texpensive so we didn't try it) and the staff were friendly. But we were surprised the reception was completely unmanned sometimes during the day, with street door wide open and keys hanging in full view. One had to lift receiver to ask: 'Can we take our key please?' 'Of course'. But it might have been anyone speaking.

Car parking a problem, and we had to lug our cases down to public car park when we left. Couldn't at least one spot outside the hotel be reserved for arrivals and departures as road is too narrow to double park?

We'd like to have left our comments at the hotel as the folder in our room requested, but we were told to leave them on TripAdvisor! So here they are -- hope the management sees them and at least cleans the carpets, and stops claiming quite ordinary rooms are 'super deluxe' . Then we might have been more appreciative and less disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GillianLondonSW17
Reviewed 29 July 2008

We have a 2 year old child, so finding a nice family friendly hotel can be difficult. We booked a Family Room for 4 nights, and were slightly disappointed to be put in a standard double with an extra bed on the first night, the holiday didn't start well!
However, the next day we were moved to a much larger, lighter and better suited room. All rooms had excellent sea views, and the terrace that we had breakfast on was superb.
The breakfast was something else, there was definitely something for everyone, and the food was cooked very well!
All in all we had a lovely time at the Wellington and would definitely return and recommend the hotel to friends.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)