“A great room and a lovely terrace”

The Wellington Hotel
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Ventnor
“A great room and a lovely terrace”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here over bank holiday weekend- with lovely weather this hotel was super. It has an outdoor terrace with steps leading to the beach- could be forgiven for feeling in Cannes! Room was excellent and breakfast very good. Only (minor) whinge was that restaurant was closed for duration or stay. It would only have needed to serve a cold beer and a passable meal to make this a 5 star review!

Stayed April 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Chichester, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

We stayed for one night (Saturday). It was worth every penny. The room was newly decorated, small, comfortable and came with a balcony and an amazing view. We sat until we froze, watching the the sun set and the moon rise. The owners were attentive and friendly. The breakfast was plentiful and delicious. It was out of season (just) and I sense that some things might be different with a full house, nevertheless it was lovely and I would definitely go back again.

Room Tip: I think all rooms are sea facing so no problem with a dull view.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Petersfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

I really like this hotel. It has 28ish rooms all but a couple with a stunning sea views, It is a bit like being on a cruise ship. There is some allocated parking slots on the street. Reception was very friendly and helpful and our room was very modern, comfortable and clean. There was a patch of damp on the wall but not surprising considering how wet this year has been so far. The dining room and bar also look over the sea and there is a lovely sun terrace. There are steps to walk directly to the beach and very close to some nice restaurants and Ventnor. We paid £115 for B+B which was very reasonable. I probably would not take my Mum here as there are a lot of stairs- otherwise a hidden gem and great hotel for a short break

Room Tip: Always ask for seaview then it is up to you if you have large picture window, balcony or suite. Cos...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DocHolidayHavant
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

The Wellington has a brilliant location and therefore amazing sea views from the bedrooms. Staff at the reception were friendly but professional which is the combo you want.
The hotel is great although in need of a little bit of TLC. Beds were not very comfortable which can be an issue if you have bad back like I do.
Also a shame that during our stay (3 nights) the room was not cleaned at all.
Over all it was a great stay and I would say that the hotel has a potential for 4 star rating with a bit of money and hard work. Would definitely stay again given a chance.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sylwia W
Surrey, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

My husband and I enjoyed a comfortable weekend here in late October. One reason for choosing the Wellington was our expected late arrival time. The Wellington information showed the reception was open until midnight, although once there we learned it is staffed 24 hours/day. We were able to park on the street at the front of the hotel, which was better than we'd expected from the website.
We had a sea view room, but decided a balcony would not be beneficial so late in the year, as was proven when staff were requested to remove furniture from a guest's balcony because of strong winds.
The breakfast, full English, had a better range of juices and fruits alongside the cereal, toast and cooked food than many hotels we've visited, and was available until 10am. The restaurant was closed for refurbishment in the evenings, but with the town centre about 5 minutes walk away, this was no problem.
The hotel is well located for access to the town, sea front and coastal footpath and we would happily return.

Room Tip: Consider the season before paying extra for a balcony as most, if not all, rooms have a sea view. I...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Cynthia B
Stafford
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013

Had a great stay at The Wellington, big comfortable room with a view to die for. The bed was fantastic as was the bath. Important features for the business traveller like me. Just a bit like it needed some decorating.

Had a great breakfast and then sat out on the balcony, fantastic.

Didn't have my evening meal there, went to The Spyglass Pub, what a great night there. Good company, great food and outstanding music.

Overall I didn't want to leave.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank timbers1234
Reading, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013 via mobile

I stayed with family for a few days and we took a couple of rooms both with balconies. Definitely worth getting, in order to see/hear the sea. Rooms seemed fine to me, WiFi mostly worked (I had to do some work while there), although once or twice I got error messages. We had one evening meal there and we thought the dinner was very good (we were particularly taken with the strawberry soup), the breakfast was a little bit hit and miss though. The sausages were excellent but the poached egg was a bit watery and vinegary. We were served breakfast a couple of days and a couple of days we had a buffet- I don't think we minded either way but then we always had breakfast early. There was going to be some refurbishment done in the dining room, so we heard, which fortunately didn't affect our stay but I could see that a little bit of updating wouldn't have gone amiss. The staff were friendly, one in particular. I would be quite happy to stay there again and I think we all loved the sea view.

• Stayed September 2013