“Disgusting hovel” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Ventnor
London
“Disgusting hovel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2009

We booked with Late Rooms, what we thought was advertised as a high quality hotel. We booked a "superior De Luxe room with own Balcony". Upon arriving at the hotel we found that there was virtually no parking and had to circumnavigate several times before we managed to get within walking distance. Upon checking in the receptionist took us on a long trek downwards, down several flights of stairs, finally presenting us with a tiny, airless room with a tiny television which could barely be seen from the bed. I sat on the bed, dejected, and noticed at that point that there was no tea or coffee making facilities in the room whatsoever. I looked out of the relatively insecure french doors only to find that we did not have a balcony at all. Our room led out on to a communal decking platform which was also shared by several other rooms together with anyone using the restaurant and/or the bar. I then decided to complain to the receptionist. I trekked up the three flights of stairs again to see the receptionist (No easy task as I am disabled and cannot walk much), only to be told that there was nothing she could do as the "Hotel" was full. I told her that I was disgusted and that I wanted the name of the owner(s) for a full complaint. She promised to give me this before I left. She did get us a tea-tray which I would have expected anyway. As we did not want to go back to our room, we decided to go out and have a look at some shops. We had to book the restaurant, so we did, for 19.30. We went in to the restaurant and was given a menu which gave very little choice (4 starters, 4-5 main courses and 4 sweets) and ordered. As all of the starters seemed unpalletable, we decided to go straight for a main course. (Trio of lamb). When it was brought to the table, I started retching as the cutlet was seared on one side and absolutely raw on the other. There was cold, liquid blood running all over the plates. One of the cutlets even had a visible "clot" in the meat. We asked them to take the meals away and bring us cooked ones. They removed the meals and returned some 45 minutes later with what appeared to be the same meals. The cutlets were a little more cooked but by this time, the kidneys and the flaked leg meat were stone-cold (as they had obviously been left on the side while the cutlet was re-cooked) We decided then to just eat it as we had very little fight left in us (the cutlet was still very pink). We then ordered a sweet. These were served on huge plates but looked ridiculous as they were tiny portions. We left the restaurant still hungry but were too tired to complain any more. Upon returning to our tiny, airless room, we tried to get some sleep to no avail. There were other guests smoking and chatting loudly on the communal decking outside, coupled with two small children running about outside and banging against our french windows. At about midnight I felt very ill and decided to make my way to reception to try to get a drink of some sort (No facilities in the room as we had consumed the 4 tea-bags supplied earlier). The night porter took one look at me and offered to call an ambulance (he could see the state I was in). He then poured me some apple juice and made us some tea. I reiterated our problems with the room and he said that he could see no reason why we were not given what we had paid for as there was a room available and offered to move us there and then but at that point I felt too weak and just wanted to lie down. I took photos of the room. The ceilings were all cracking, there was an open fireplace with parts of the surround missing with bare nails potruding, There was an expired bulb in the bedside lamp, the headboard appeared to be coming away from the wall, there was filler/sealant missing from where the tiny shower met the floor and the carpet was in dire need of a thorough cleaning. I could not wait to get out of this hell-hole and left immediately after breakfast, of which I consumed very little as I still felt nauseous from the restaurant fare the night before. Upon checking out I was advised by the receptionist that she had reduced my bill by a paltry £16-00 as I was upset, but then tried to tell me that they felt that communal decking was, in the hotels' view similar to a private balcony, unfortunately, she then wanted to charge me full price for the disgusting fare received from the over-priced restaurant. I then told her exactly what I thought and refused to pay for the main course which was inedible. She therefore deducted the main course charge which left us £ 116-00 out-of-pocket for what was probably the worst hotel experience of our lives. I WOULD CERTAINLY NOT RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL IN ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM. THIS ESTABLISHMENT SHOULD BE AVOIDED AT ALL COSTS

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank John2601

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Surrey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2009

We stayed for mother's day weekened in two rooms with access to the decking. The food and service was excellent as always and the rooms clean, comfortable and a beautiful view over the beach and sea.

The weather was stunning for March and we relaxed on our decking outside the rooms.
Can't wait to go back

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
Crawley England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2009

My wife and I stayed at this hotel in early spring 2008. We found the reception staff exceptionally pleasant, and that always gets things off to a good start. The room was HUGE with a breathtaking view of the beach and sea, but there were no tea making facilities. That was the first of a number of little irritations that actually marred the overall experience. The room whilst acceptably clean was shabby , likewise the toilet facilities.
The breakfast was included in our tariff but was dreary , and there is no excuse for cheap sausages ! Especially on the IOW
The so called parking is a strip immediately outside the front of the hotel or the use of a public carpark if (and it usually is ) thats full. The fire door outside our room had no damper on it so clanged shut whenever used.
Overall I would not recommend , or stay again
However if you go to the IOW do go to the Wight Mouse at Chale great food and service

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — No tea making facilities
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
      Cleanliness

Travellers are raving about these Ventnor hotels

capetown123
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2009

When arrivng at the Hotel our weekend away looked promising, friendly staff greeted us in reception, and the views from the hotel were stunning. I was awating the resturant which i had been told by friends was superb, how disapointed i was. The resturant is a disgrace, it looked as if it had never been cleaned with dirty table clothes and a single waiter come Chef, who was unshaven and baddly dressed, it was as if they had dragged someone off the streets. On one occasion he was so keen to get our order for breakfast he jumped me and my partner in the stairway.
The Dinner meals were none descript and expenisve, and the continental breakfast my friends had rated, were not on offer, instead we were served yesterdays english breakfast re-heated acompanied with stale bread.
So if you wish to come home from a romantic getaway with food poisoning, please visit the wellington Hotel as I asure you you'll pickup something.

• Liked — view
  • Disliked — restaraunt
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank capet0wn123
Surrey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2008

We arrived at The Wellington to find no avaliable parking facilities which we could just about excuse, as the location of the hotel was phenomenal. Once greeted and shown to our room by the friendly receptionist, we were pleased to here that dinner was avaliable to us seeing as we had arrived late.

We ordered soup of the day and chicken from an overbearing and pushy waiter who seemed to want to sell us everything on the menu and more (all highly over-priced in my mind)! With simple dishes ordered that were recommended to us, how could it have been so terrible?

Overall, our stay in this beautiful location was ruined by a neglect of upkeep across the hotel. If you do choose to stay at this hotel avoid the restaurant at all costs, otherwise you may be forced to buy the clothes off your own backs for double the price they originally were.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Restaurant staff
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
Hampshire ,England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2008

I have lots of family on the Island and have had many years experience of it. I realise that bad decor,dodgy service and sometimes downright odd features are what make the Isle of Wight what it is.
However I asked my partner to book somewhere nice in the hope that actually there was somewhere I could pretend I was on a proper holiday.
Amazingly The Wellington comes pretty close.
We (us two, plus 4yr old son) had room 17. Large room with high ceiling and the double bed facing the most breathtaking seaview through double doors. It had the typical victorian wrought iron balcony which was fantastic although get one on the top floor if you want privacy. My son enjoyed pointing out all the people he could see downstairs! There is no mini bar so the balcony in early November became an excellent (and much cheaper )version.No tea/coffee facities in the room and the hotel didn't do anything for lunch (not great when your childs fast asleep in the afternoon). I had to go to the local supermarket in a freezing gale.

Faults as everyone mentioned are still access,parking and grubby carpets. Our big one though was noise. You could hear everyone and everything which was bearable in November when it was half empty but lord help you in the summer.I would add a loose bedhead and wobbly bed leg to our list, especially once we realised how much noise transmits in this hotel. Honeymooners need to choose a different room.

All that said it was really good try at a hotel and the room with a view was literally out of a novel. I'd go back and would recommend.

• Liked — The view from the bed
  • Disliked — Lack of information - breakfast not explained, no help with lunch etc
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Hants
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2008

We thought the price was a bit steep but decided to splash out on a Superior Deluxe room with a balcony and seaview. Had some trouble finding the hotel and parking was a bit tricky almost into the road. The room was large but lacked a simple thing like a readinglamp by the chairs. The view was great ,but as some of the other guests have commented, there was no privacy on the balcony. Our room was directly above the restaurant and one afternoon, when the diningroom was re-arranged for a weddingparty it was total mayhem. People running up and down stairs, slamming doors, loud voices. Forget the snooze. We did complain but there was no attempt at an apology or explanation. When all the tables were dragged across the floors a second time, later in the evening, we had reached the limit and wanted to go home.
Dinner in the hotel had to be booked in advance apparently, which we had not known, but they let us have some food anyway. It was not bad but pricey. We were disappointed to find there was no tea tray in the room, however, on asking they gave us one. We would also have expected bathrobes from a hotel in this pricerange, but we only got the slippers. We also noticed somebody had a worrying habit of propping open the firedoors in the corridors. Although the carpets could do with a good clean, the rooms and bathrooms were cleaner than most hotels we have stayed in in the UK, and the towels were thick and sparkling white. The staff were friendly. On the whole this was not good value for money. Next time we will read what other people say rather than be taken in by wonderful ads and dazzling photos. The best experience was a lobster dinner at The Ale and Oyster down on the seafront.

Stayed September 2008