“disappointing”

The Wellington Hotel
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Ventnor
Reviewed 11 April 2009

food terrible, no atmosphere , room small even though it stated best room in the hoyel , no hairdryer in room, no tissuues, no bath only shower, no hand lotion, dirty toilet brush, bag of rubbish on balcony on arrival, poor TV reception, pushy waiter, poor parking facilities, no tea and coffee making tray in room, poor bar service, poor decor, and very overpriced.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank arabellarose

Reviewed 10 April 2009

This is a relatively small and friendly hotel. We stayed the week before Easter and it was quiet with a minimum number of staff. However they were all very friendly, efficient and polite and did a great job. The bar although rather small was OK and welcoming. The food we would say is the highlight - a good menu of five of six choices per course - all very very good and superbly presented. One or two changes per course each day. The chef needs to be congratulated - were ate ther every night for 5 days! The room although not large had a fantastic view of the sea. Nice bed, nice laundry, samll shower room but powerful shower. A lovelry stay - we would come again. Parking rather tight - we suspect may be an issue at busy times.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 April 2009

We booked with Late Rooms, what we thought was advertised as a high quality hotel. We booked a "superior De Luxe room with own Balcony". Upon arriving at the hotel we found that there was virtually no parking and had to circumnavigate several times before we managed to get within walking distance. Upon checking in the receptionist took us on a long trek downwards, down several flights of stairs, finally presenting us with a tiny, airless room with a tiny television which could barely be seen from the bed. I sat on the bed, dejected, and noticed at that point that there was no tea or coffee making facilities in the room whatsoever. I looked out of the relatively insecure french doors only to find that we did not have a balcony at all. Our room led out on to a communal decking platform which was also shared by several other rooms together with anyone using the restaurant and/or the bar. I then decided to complain to the receptionist. I trekked up the three flights of stairs again to see the receptionist (No easy task as I am disabled and cannot walk much), only to be told that there was nothing she could do as the "Hotel" was full. I told her that I was disgusted and that I wanted the name of the owner(s) for a full complaint. She promised to give me this before I left. She did get us a tea-tray which I would have expected anyway. As we did not want to go back to our room, we decided to go out and have a look at some shops. We had to book the restaurant, so we did, for 19.30. We went in to the restaurant and was given a menu which gave very little choice (4 starters, 4-5 main courses and 4 sweets) and ordered. As all of the starters seemed unpalletable, we decided to go straight for a main course. (Trio of lamb). When it was brought to the table, I started retching as the cutlet was seared on one side and absolutely raw on the other. There was cold, liquid blood running all over the plates. One of the cutlets even had a visible "clot" in the meat. We asked them to take the meals away and bring us cooked ones. They removed the meals and returned some 45 minutes later with what appeared to be the same meals. The cutlets were a little more cooked but by this time, the kidneys and the flaked leg meat were stone-cold (as they had obviously been left on the side while the cutlet was re-cooked) We decided then to just eat it as we had very little fight left in us (the cutlet was still very pink). We then ordered a sweet. These were served on huge plates but looked ridiculous as they were tiny portions. We left the restaurant still hungry but were too tired to complain any more. Upon returning to our tiny, airless room, we tried to get some sleep to no avail. There were other guests smoking and chatting loudly on the communal decking outside, coupled with two small children running about outside and banging against our french windows. At about midnight I felt very ill and decided to make my way to reception to try to get a drink of some sort (No facilities in the room as we had consumed the 4 tea-bags supplied earlier). The night porter took one look at me and offered to call an ambulance (he could see the state I was in). He then poured me some apple juice and made us some tea. I reiterated our problems with the room and he said that he could see no reason why we were not given what we had paid for as there was a room available and offered to move us there and then but at that point I felt too weak and just wanted to lie down. I took photos of the room. The ceilings were all cracking, there was an open fireplace with parts of the surround missing with bare nails potruding, There was an expired bulb in the bedside lamp, the headboard appeared to be coming away from the wall, there was filler/sealant missing from where the tiny shower met the floor and the carpet was in dire need of a thorough cleaning. I could not wait to get out of this hell-hole and left immediately after breakfast, of which I consumed very little as I still felt nauseous from the restaurant fare the night before. Upon checking out I was advised by the receptionist that she had reduced my bill by a paltry £16-00 as I was upset, but then tried to tell me that they felt that communal decking was, in the hotels' view similar to a private balcony, unfortunately, she then wanted to charge me full price for the disgusting fare received from the over-priced restaurant. I then told her exactly what I thought and refused to pay for the main course which was inedible. She therefore deducted the main course charge which left us £ 116-00 out-of-pocket for what was probably the worst hotel experience of our lives. I WOULD CERTAINLY NOT RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL IN ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM. THIS ESTABLISHMENT SHOULD BE AVOIDED AT ALL COSTS

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank John2601
Reviewed 25 March 2009

We stayed for mother's day weekened in two rooms with access to the decking. The food and service was excellent as always and the rooms clean, comfortable and a beautiful view over the beach and sea.

The weather was stunning for March and we relaxed on our decking outside the rooms.
Can't wait to go back

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 February 2009

My wife and I stayed at this hotel in early spring 2008. We found the reception staff exceptionally pleasant, and that always gets things off to a good start. The room was HUGE with a breathtaking view of the beach and sea, but there were no tea making facilities. That was the first of a number of little irritations that actually marred the overall experience. The room whilst acceptably clean was shabby , likewise the toilet facilities.
The breakfast was included in our tariff but was dreary , and there is no excuse for cheap sausages ! Especially on the IOW
The so called parking is a strip immediately outside the front of the hotel or the use of a public carpark if (and it usually is ) thats full. The fire door outside our room had no damper on it so clanged shut whenever used.
Overall I would not recommend , or stay again
However if you go to the IOW do go to the Wight Mouse at Chale great food and service

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 January 2009

When arrivng at the Hotel our weekend away looked promising, friendly staff greeted us in reception, and the views from the hotel were stunning. I was awating the resturant which i had been told by friends was superb, how disapointed i was. The resturant is a disgrace, it looked as if it had never been cleaned with dirty table clothes and a single waiter come Chef, who was unshaven and baddly dressed, it was as if they had dragged someone off the streets. On one occasion he was so keen to get our order for breakfast he jumped me and my partner in the stairway.
The Dinner meals were none descript and expenisve, and the continental breakfast my friends had rated, were not on offer, instead we were served yesterdays english breakfast re-heated acompanied with stale bread.
So if you wish to come home from a romantic getaway with food poisoning, please visit the wellington Hotel as I asure you you'll pickup something.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank capet0wn123
Reviewed 6 November 2008

We arrived at The Wellington to find no avaliable parking facilities which we could just about excuse, as the location of the hotel was phenomenal. Once greeted and shown to our room by the friendly receptionist, we were pleased to here that dinner was avaliable to us seeing as we had arrived late.

We ordered soup of the day and chicken from an overbearing and pushy waiter who seemed to want to sell us everything on the menu and more (all highly over-priced in my mind)! With simple dishes ordered that were recommended to us, how could it have been so terrible?

Overall, our stay in this beautiful location was ruined by a neglect of upkeep across the hotel. If you do choose to stay at this hotel avoid the restaurant at all costs, otherwise you may be forced to buy the clothes off your own backs for double the price they originally were.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple