“A wonderful surprise break!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Hambrough

The Hambrough
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Ventnor
United Kingdom
“A wonderful surprise break!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

My husband and I have just returned from a two day break and stayed at The Hamborough in Ventnor. It is a wonderful hotel with a superb staff team who make sure your stay is nothing short of excellent. The rooms are wonderfully relaxing and we stayed in a large room with a balcony overlooking the sea. The food is excellently prepared and cooked by Robert Thompson and menus are exquisite. I recommend this hotel highly but if there was a downside I would say finding a parking space on arrival but hey the whole experience of staying at the Hamborough more than makes up for that! We would definitely re-visit this lovely boutique hotel.

Room Tip: Room number 1 or 2 have sea views and are large
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank juliathomas20

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

We have stayed in the Hambrough a couple of times, and have found it to be fantastic both times. The rooms are spacious, with lovely bathrooms, great coffee machines, and, if you stay in one of the superiors rooms, amazing balconies overlooking the sea at Ventnor.

Everyone is really helpful and friendly, and nothing is too much trouble it seems. We have eaten in Robert Thompsons restaurant both times, and have had some of the best food we have ever eaten there.

All in all it is a lovely place to stay, the only downside is sometimes it is difficult to park close to the hotel as parking is limited.

I keep asking my husband when we are going to stay again.

Room Tip: The more expensive rooms at the front of the hotel have lovely balconies where you can have breakfas...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SJ123
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2012

This is a lovely little hotel in B&B style - they only have 7 rooms - with very professional and friendly service. Rooms are great, breakfast on the room fantastic. And then there's of course the restaurant - award-winning cuisine and (in my opinion) worth every penny.
If you book the room last minute you can get a substantial discount, but even without the discount we felt like this was money very well spent..

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank EdTheEd
St Albans
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

We were very well and professionally looked after by caring and commtited staff who work together as a great team. They clearly enjoy ensuring their guests have a special break with them.The food was brilliant and the sea views wonderful.

We hope to return very soon!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pradaStAlbans
England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

I've now been here twice with my wife, once for dinner and once for lunch, and must say that both times the food has been spectacular.

Lunch is a very pared down offering, but still more than enough to chose from and you do get to try new things that you might otherwise avoid; liver in this case for me, but I was pleasantly suprised.

The dinner was more spectacular with various amuse bouches, the quails egg and haddock veloute being the one that stands out. The jus for the lamb main being served in a glass teapot was also quite an experience!

Whilst parking can be an issue, the service and food more than make up for this and the scenery, overlooking the seafront cliff, was spectacular when there was a thunderstorm.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dan_w77
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

Our room was wonderful - super comfortable room, really great service, and lovely views of the sea. Best night's sleep in a long time. This was our second time at the Hambrough and it was worth the investment for a bigger room with a sea view this time.

The previous comment about the sterile dining room has some truth to it and the atmosphere can be a bit 'awkward', but the quality of the food is outstanding. Both dinner and breakfast were excellent. It's not cheap by any means but it's a special place.

Room Tip: Worth paying a bit more for a room with a sea view - these are more spacious too
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank NushNushandBooBoo
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

I'd never been to the Isle of Wight and didn't have any plans to go until I read about The Hambrough. As a real foodie I like to go to places where I can find a quality hotel and a top restaurant so I decided to take the wife there as a sort of Valentine's Day trip.

Our suite was perfect with a spacious balcony and a lovely sea view. No complaints. During our stay we found the staff friendly and helpful. We were lucky on both days to find a parking spot outside the hotel but I can imagine that at busy times this could be a problem.

We'd booked to eat in their Michelin star restaurant that evening. We'd enquired on arrival about their bar and whether we could have a pre-dinner drink. "Yes no problem" we were assured so we went downstairs for our drinks at 7pm only to be told the bar was closed. We would have to go straight into the restaurant.

I don't know about you but when I go away for a weekend to an up-market hotel where I'm prepared to spend a few bob I'd like to be able to go and sit in a lounge over a drink or two and peruse the menu. I would have liked to have known BEFORE I arrived that there were no bar facilities available. So not a good start to the evening. And it didn't get much better.

We were then taken in to possibly the worst Michelin-starred dining room I've ever eaten in. Sterile does not even begin to describe the awful atmosphere in there. You were totally aware of everybody's conversation and when the muzak stopped between tracks the whole room seemed to stop talking as they became aware that they could be clearly overheard.

The food was generally OK but lacked any real flair. Two highlights were an amuse of Celeriac Velouté and a pre-dessert of Lemon Curd with Pink Champagne Granité. Both superb.

I've no doubt that this is the best restaurant on the island, as many people claim, but that doesn't mean it's a great restaurant. When I compare it to many restaurants I've eaten at in London and elsewhere I'm struggling to see how it deserves a Michelin star.

Breakfast the next morning was excellent. My creamy scrambled eggs with lovely smoked salmon was as good as it gets. Again the awful dining room made everone aware of everbody else's conversation.

For the 2nd evening we had booked their other restaurant The Pond Cafe which was a 5 minute cab ride away. The cafe doesn't have a Michelin star but I would much rather eat there than at the main restaurant. It had a warm, welcoming atmosphere with friendly staff. The bistro-style food was perfectly judged. My brill was excellent. The highlight was the slow-roast tomatoes. I only wish I could have bought a jar of those.

Overall we left with a feeling of being somewhat underwhelmed considering the money we had spent. Positive were the nice room, the friendly staff and a nice meal at the Pond Cafe. Negatives were the lack of a bar, the awful awful dining room and the ordinary Michelin quality food.

Room Tip: Rooms 1 & 2 are lovely suites with a sea view and balcony
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank TravellingEpicurean
Explfood, Public Relations Manager at The Hambrough, responded to this review, 22 February 2012
Thank you for your feedback concerning your recent stay with us. We are pleased that you found your suite to be enjoyable and thank you for your comments regarding the staff.

We have started to make the right-hand side of the restaurant available as a bar/pre-drinks area, unfortunately due to the amount of tables of two dining that evening, it was not possible to offer the bar area - we apologise for this.

We take on board your comments about the dining room and are aware that is not to everyone's taste. That said, we have spent a great deal of time and money on items such as table skirts, handmade glass charger plates and quality linen, as well as other items.
Our tables are closer together than in some restaurants where other people's conversations can sometimes be heard - again this can be viewed as a negative but also as a positive - many customers often strike up conversation together.

Although we do not agree that the cuisine is ordinary, we again understand that food is very subjective and of course we take your comments on board.

Thank you for your review, guest feedback plays a vital role in our business and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ventnor
The Royal Hotel
BEST WESTERN New Holmwood Hotel & Restaurant
The Clifton
The Clifton
#3 of 54 in Shanklin

Been to The Hambrough? Share your experiences!