My partner & I stayed for 3 nights in Room 1 which was a pleasant room with balcony overlooking the sea. When we booked it was described as a Studio Suite. This proved to be a very imaginatve description of a reasonably sized bedroom with a sofa,a couple of chairs and a minibar but not something that could truly be described as a suite. Bedsit maybe,suite no.
As we were being charged £325 per night for B&B including the ferry crossing (~£90-£100 worth spread over 3 nights in my estimation) the price charged offered poor value particularly as the standard of the room was not great. Examples include that the bathroom bin didn't work as the lid had broken off (surely the cleaner should have noticed & remedied when they last emptied it?), the curtains drooped as a hook needed reinstating, the curtains had several holes in them & a torn hem, the iron was missing and had to be requested, the bathmat was not to be found on night 1, the TV remote batteries needed replacement etc etc.. Most of these irritating things were remedied when we raised them but at the price demanded, better checking of rooms and a higher standard should be the norm.
Nice bathroom and shower & the breakfasts were good although we had to rummage behind the bar to find glasses for juice on the sunday morning as none had been put out & the waiter wasn't immediately present. He said this was because he had been up until 4am and had only had 3 hours sleep - at Hambrough prices this should not have been our problem!.
We ate in the restaurant one evening and will report on that separately. In summary, pleasant but not worth the exorbitant room rate charged. If the Robert & the Hambrough want to see a great room experience at less that half the cost, I suggest they look at the Old Hall in Ely which was tremendous when we stayed there a few months ago.
Altogether ok but lacks attention to detail and doesn't warrant the huge room rate charged. For the prices they aspire to, Robert needs to try harder and have a better system of checks to ensure a higher standard than he currentlymanages to achieve.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sitting high above the fishing harbour in Ventnor, The Hambrough (AA 5 Star Accommodation) offers accommodation by the sea on the southern tip of the Isle of Wight. All but one of our seven spacious bedrooms has magnificent views of the sea and our award winning breakfasts are legendary. Although our restaurant is closed for the time being our bar is open where we are serving delicious afternoon and cream teas. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Agoda so you can book your The Hambrough reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Hambrough Hotel Ventnor
- Hambrough Hotel Ventnor
- Hambrough Ventnor
- The Hambrough Ventnor, Isle Of Wight