“Could be perfect”
Review of The Hambrough

The Hambrough
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Ventnor
Reviewed 11 July 2008

As you will see from other reviews and Johanssen., this is a very stylish boutique hotel with great views, massive rooms with stunning balcony (well, at least the expensive suite we stayed in!), excellent bathroom with under-floor heating, in-room cappuccino maker and DVD player with good DVD selection, and a very good restaurant. Also, Isle of Wight in general exceeded our expectations.

OK, the bad side:
1. Never received email confirmation after booking over the phone, so siginificantly overcharged. Refunded, but still charged a little more than I had understood over the phone.
2. Housekeeping fails on details- no attention to balcony (spider webs on railing!), toiletries not replaced, no hotel info card in room.
3. No parking- free opposite hotel, but you have to be lucky!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Christos P

Reviewed 14 June 2008

Loved this place. So many so called "boutique hotels" are anything but,not so with the Hambrough .It is very laid back but also efficient,the staff want you to have a great stay - how rare is that ? Our room had a wonderful view with balcony,a super bathroom and an oh so comfortable bed.
The food was sublime and that is high praise indeed as I am renowned for sending restaurant food back !! Breakfast was also a treat everything cooked perfectly and to order
We will definitely return

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank sandra1986
Reviewed 30 April 2008

My partner and I stayed at the Hambrough for a couple of nights and first impressions were very good. It's in a fabulous location and luckily we found parking right outside (the first time anyway!).

Two major minuses for me were the lack of attention to detail with the service. My partner had arranged flowers and champagne to be in the room on our arrival. Not only were these things not organised but the receptionist told us that she didn't know if there was a vase and noone had ever had flowers before. Well I know that it's a farely new hotel, BUT this seems an odd comment considering this 'extra service' was suggested by the hotel themselves! My second negative was the detail of the rooms. It was 'clean' to the eye but on closer inspection, the beds were not made to the level one would expect, the wood furniture was riddled with watermarks. The worst of all these things was the broken towel rail in the slightly bijoux bathroom. Since there is nothing else to hold on to when exiting the shower, it is the first things one holds on to!

I only go into detail because this hotel COULD be AMAZING and it lets itself down with silly inconsistancies.

My big recommendation to anyone who reads this is whatever you do, STAY AT THIS ROMANTIC HOTEL FOR THE FOOD ALONE!!!!!!!!! The restaurant is without doubt an absolute GEM!

BON APPETITE!

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank KatySpinach
Reviewed 22 April 2008

Fantastic property - great staff - great food - awesome views.

My girlfriend and I went to the Isle of Wight to visit the donkey sanctuary (highly recommended) and for business. We were struggling to find nice looking accommodation but I stumbled upon The Hambrough. We dealt direct and got a great rate, arranged a late check in all no problem at all.

When we arrived we were shown to our room by a nice friendly chap very helpful. When we saw the room we were blown away - all my girlfriend and I could say when we saw the room (and the view) was wow.

Very clean, nice and warm rooms everything worked as it should. FANTASTIC bathroom (with a view of the sea from the bath)
Breakfast was lovely - it's a shame we didn't have time to enjoy the restaurant in the evening.

If I'm ever in the Isle of Wight again I'd stay at the Hambrough - I've already recommended it to my family.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled on business
4  Thank MattB30
Reviewed 25 February 2008

Have just come back from a two night stay at this charming seafront hotel. We had Room 1 which had a spectacular view and balcony. We lay in bed and looked at the sea. All the staff were really helpful. Breakfast was excellent as was lunch. The perfect place for a weekend break on the Isle of Wight

2  Thank GMFLondon
Reviewed 24 February 2008

I wanted somewhere special to stay for a romantic valentines weekend break and the 'Hambrough' proved to be a great choice. We booked to stay friday and saturday night, so I was a little worried that it would be a rushed weekend full of travelling, but the ferry crossing is very quick, and in off season you can always get on a ferry if you manage to turn up earlier than you booked.
The drive took about 30 mins from Fishbourne to Ventnor and although we arrived pretty late at 10pm, we recieved a warm welcome. One major downside to the hotel, which I had noted someone else mention on Tripadviser, was the lack of parking. The small road outside the hotel was completely full as we arrived so late, so we were given a map to find a small free carpark that the hotel is allowed to use. Although it is nearby it does slightly spoil your arrival and ease of getting checked in etc.

Our room, number 4, was lovely. Again, I had read on a review on Tripadviser before booking, that it was good to be on the top floor, which is why I asked for this room and certainly did not disappoint. It was very spacious, beautifully designed and very relaxing. The only sound that you could hear was the sea. No noise at all from the rest of the hotel or outside... bliss!

Facing the sea - the views of Ventnor were lovely. We were very lucky with sunny, but cold weather, so we took advantage by taking lots of coastal walks. Ventnor is pretty small, so not much going on - but that was what we were after. It is a good base to explore from though. The Needles being only 30 mins drive away. I am sure it has a very different atmosphere in summer and gets quite busy, but it is a great spot to visit in the off season for some peace and quiet.

We ate in the hotels restaurant on saturday evening which I thought was excellent and good value for money (2 courses £30 and 3 for £38). Unsuprisingly, there are lots of fish to choose from on the menu. The John Dory was very good, but the desserts were the amazing. The intimate restaurant and attentive, friendly staff made it a really nice evening.

Sticking with food... The full cooked english breakfast was excellent - make sure you have that included in your price though, as paid for seperately it was £10.50 each! Wow!

We were sorry to have only stayed for such a short time. We left feeling truly relaxed and having enjoyed our time on the Isle of Wight. The fact that we had such good weather really made the two days. Had it been wet I think we would have got a bit bored. The hotel is very special, nothing else like it is available on the island, but it is pretty expensive - definately somewhere to go just for a treat.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank SurreyFelix
Reviewed 27 November 2007

We had booked for 4 nights mid-week stay in the Wellington Hotel from Johansens' guide and were very disappointed in the hotel (see separate review - it is no longer in the guide!) and stumbled across the Hambrough by accident whilst sheltering from the rain.. We were so impressed by the friendliness of the staff and the decor of the building that we decided to move and were not disappointed. Our room and bathroom were lovely. The views and position overlooking the sea were fabulous, the staff were delightful, but the most impressive aspect of the hotel was the presence of the 2 young owners (who ensured that the quality was maintained) and the quality of the food. The only minor 'grumble' was the fact that the hotel was slightly cool in the communal areas (we were experiencing a cold snap at the time) otherwise we would have graded it as 'excellent'

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank orion1nottingham
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ventnor
The Royal Hotel
#3 of 9 in Ventnor
Seaview Hotel
Seaview Hotel
#1 of 2 in Seaview

Been to The Hambrough? Share your experiences!