“A Relaxing Stay”

Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Ventnor
Highworth, United Kingdom
“A Relaxing Stay”
Reviewed 21 February 2014

We booked the Hambrough very last minute through booking.com which had an offer on at the time. My wife and I were using this as our 'Babymoon', apparently this is now common for expectant mothers, personally I think I was conned!

We stayed in Room 2 which is on the 1st floor with a balcony which overlooks the sea and harbour of Ventnor. The room was very nice, a great size that meant we didn't feel on top of each other during our stay. The room has a large bed that was very comfy, with a sofa and seating area around the TV and coffee table. The bathroom was again large with a separate shower and bath, with the addition of underfloor heating which made it all very cosy.

The cleanliness was fantastic, with the room being thoroughly cleaned everyday and never once did I grimace or comment on anything unsightly. The Breakfast element of our stay was also to a high quality A continental style buffet was available with a set menu to order a cooked breakfast, again all to a high quality and very tasty.

Location wise we preferred the low key Ventor, and out of season in Feb the town is very low key. But having visited most of the towns around the island we were both glad we choose this hotel and location. There are a number of good restaurants around the town and a great chippy on the harbour. One thing to note is the parking situation, there is no allocated parking for the hotel, we were made aware so it wasn't a surprise or an issue, again as it was out of season. There are a number of car parks near by, one is free, and you just have to be lucky to get a space on the road outside the hotel.

We really enjoyed our stay and it really was relaxing thanks in part to the quality of this hotel, you shouldn't be disappointed if you decide to stay here.

Room Tip: Rooms 1 and 2 have the balcony, but be prepared to pay a premium.
1 Thank BSHollingsworth
TheHambrough, Manager at The Hambrough, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Thank you for your kind comments - we hope to see you back when the baby is born!

Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2014

We stopped overnight Sunday/Monday bed and breakfast on a deal as a getaway at half term. This is our second time here, both of which we have enjoyed. The rooms are wonderful especially the sea views. The bed was very comfortable and all the little extras included made the stay very pleasant indeed. Staff are very friendly and attentive.
The breakfasts on both stops have been historic, we are yet to try the restaurant for lunch or dinner, another time perhaps.
thanks for a nice break.

Room Tip: Go for a sea view room
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
TheHambrough, Manager at The Hambrough, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
Thank you for your kind comments.

We hope to see you back again soon!

Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the Hambrough for two nights to escape reality at home and it was the perfect boutique hotel!
Gorgeous room, lovely staff, we eat breakfast there, lovely, the only thing I would suggest is a bit more variety for vegetarians on the cooked breakfast front!
Vent nor itself, not much too it, drive to Newport! Fantastic cocktail bar we found. Arriving back late, bar was shut unfortunately as would have gone for a baileys but I guess they are pushing guests to use mini bar, that's what we did! We will be returning for a few days locked away in our lovely sea view room again!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
TheHambrough, Manager at The Hambrough, responded to this review, 13 February 2014
Thank you for your review and feedback which we have taken on board and discussed with the team. We hope to see you back soon!

sandown
Reviewed 6 February 2014

We were given this booking as a Wedding anniversary present and I was looking forward to visiting what I understood as the Islands' premier hotel, unfortunately it didn't quite turn out that way. First impression, though a iow resident, where do I park? I drove round and round not a space in sight, in hindsight park in the local council car park. Though we had a terrific amount of rain lately I didn't expect the front door to stick and be hard to open. Well first impressions, a lobby/foyer out of the 1950's, was this really a 4/5 star establishment! Shown up to the first floor room, no lift.. My opinion of the room was that it seemed very dark and the furniture was not quite what I expected and the bedside table sloped down at the front and my glass slipped off! Not a picture in the room, the bathroom however was lovely and couldn't be improved. A rather odd looking cushion on the table in front of the settee. Though I thought I had a reasonable grasp of modern technology I never mastered the coffee machine or the TV. Meeting friends for pre dinner aperitif we entered the Bar, well the standard of furnishing was nothing special and Very Cold, the Bar prices very Hot, excessive for Beer and Wine. The Taxi duly arrived and took us down to the Pond for Dinner, I think he must have been an F1 replacement driver. The meal at the Pond I shall review on their Website though both establishment are upder the same ownership. Arrived back safely after another F1 circuit to find the Hamborough in darkness, the Bar of course closed. I found a note to say that their was an emergency number, but nobody on site. My wife was sick all night and I didn't sleep a wink.

Next Morning we found out that we were only entitled to the Continental Breakfast however after the previous nights experience toast was all we could manage.

I don't wish to place all negative expressions of our experience and in general all staff were helpful and the room had a lovely view over the seafront, possibly with better weather we could have enjoyed the view, however to the lady who told me that " I could see if there was a parking space available from our window", forget it dear, it's Ventnor at the weekend.

In conclusion my opinion of the establishment is that as others have mentioned it's a "Restaurant with Rooms"

Room Tip: Get your Car Parked after you've dropped your luggage at the local Council Car Park.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mickeymost
TheHambrough, Manager at The Hambrough, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Thank you for your review here on Tripadvisor.

We are sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your stay. Your comments have been taken on board and we have discussed your experience with the team.

We are indeed a five star restaurant with rooms (as you can see in our description above) and do therefore not offer all the facilities of a five star hotel.

We hope to change your opinion of the Hambrough and hope to see you back soon.

Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 February 2014

We received a Christmas gift for an overnight stay at the Hambrough Hotel, including a 5 course taster meal, and breakfast. I have always heard great reviews, so was very much looking forward to our stay.

Managed to get a parking space right out the front, which was great as they nearest car park is a few minutes walk (and we arrived on a very wet and windy day!). Was greeted by a friendly lady who showed us straight to our room.

Lovely room! Bright and spacious. Very clean, apart from the lampshades on the bed were a little dusty! Really nice bathroom, with Molten Brown products which I am a fan of anyway.

Mini bar was well stocked and there was a wide range of tea and coffee to chose from. Nice little touch was the DVD book. A good variety of DVD's to chose from, call reception and they bring it straight to your room.

In the evening we ate at the Pond Café. The waiter was very polite and attentive. The food was absolutely delicious. Dishes looked small (as we had the taster menu), however, they were very filling and we left feeling extremely satisfied!! Favourites were the tomato soup (nicest I've ever had), and the beef ragu! Compliments to the chef.

Comfiest bed I have ever stayed in!!! The room was ever so warm though and we couldn't figure out the thermostat so ended up sleeping with the window open a little.

Had our breakfast in bed in the morning, the food was lovely, however the breakfast was very small. My only complaint is that we weren't told our deal was continental breakfast only, so when we were given the list, it had a whole range of things to chose from, we chose the cooked breakfast and were charged when we checked out. Not a big deal as we had the money. But would have been embarrassing if we didn't, as we thought it was included. We did mention it, and the lady said we should have been told when we checked in, but we weren't.

Overall, a wonderful over night stay. Staff were friendly, room was lovely with a great view of the sea!

Room Tip: No fitness centre or pool so not applicable
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review. We hope to see you back again soon.

Isle of Wight UK
Reviewed 4 February 2014

We were lucky enough to book a superb dine and stay offer at the Hambrough prior to Christmas. Our large room was fabulous – separate sofa seating area, TV, espresso machine etc, quality furnishings, seaviews and a gorgeous bathroom.

Our deal included a 5 course tasting menu and we paid a supplement so that we could have both the fish and meat courses. From start to finish the food was excellent – homemade breads which were replenished as we ate too much! All courses were beautifully presented and in particular our pheasant course was delicious. The food was certainly a step-up from other visits before the current chef took over.

Service could not be faulted and the Sommelier, Christian was quite charming, very knowledgeable and put guests at ease.

Continental breakfast the next morning was lovely – homemade granola, smoothies, fruit salad presented in individual jars, gorgeous pastries and homemade lemon curd, marmalade and jams – needless to say too much was consumed again!

We’ll definitely return, certainly to dine and also to stay if future offers are available.

Room Tip: Seaview rooms are good - the balcony rooms must be wonderful!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank IOWtravelbabes
TheHambrough, Manager at The Hambrough, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Thank you very much for your wonderful comments - we are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We hope to see you back again soon!

Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

We had a quick couple of nights here without the children to celebrate my birthday just before Christmas and were delighted with just about everything - weather excluded! The hotel is in a great location, our room was a good size, clean and with all of the extras that you would expect, well stocked mini bar, Nesspresso machine etc.
we ate in the restaurant on the first night and had the taster menu which was fantastic, pre dinner drinks were had in the lounge next door where the service was great. The breakfast was really good with hangover beating smoothies, fresh yoghurts and fruit as well as really good quality cooked and smoked salmon and scrambled eggs! The last thing to mention was the unbelievable value - especially if you only visit for 1 night. We got dinner, bed and breakfast and our ferry crossing for just £99 per head!! I know that this was out of season but still, for somewhere that is likely to regain its Michelin star in 2014 I am still really impressed. We will be back!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LE65Jon
TheHambrough, Manager at The Hambrough, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us! I have shared your comments with the team and they join me in thanking you for the feedback. Hope to see you back soon!

Operations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ventnor
The Royal Hotel
Luccombe Hall Hotel
Luccombe Hall Hotel
#7 of 52 in Shanklin
Lakeside Park Hotel & Spa

Been to The Hambrough? Share your experiences!