We were on a self-catering family holiday on the Isle of Wight but fancied a treat so we booked the Hamborough on the basis of its reputation. We booked ages in advance but on the day my husband called and asked if we could have a table in the window (there were 4 of us)and they said yes! When we arrived rather than being taken to our table we were led throught the hotel down various corridors and up some stairs to a very character-less room where we were shown the menus and offered a drink. I am not sure what the point of this was (do Michelin insist on a bar area?) but as we later discovered we had such a nice table I would rather have been shown straight to it. This is probably my only criticism of the place though. We enjoyed somenice cocktails and decided on the tasting menu. Book an early dinner if you decide you'd like to try this, it takes around 3 hours. We then treked back down to the restaurant.
The food from the cheesy profiteroles offered as canapes through to the last yummy chocolate pudding was divine. They obviously use the very best ingredients here, some courses are very simple such as the asparagus starter, but all were cooked to perfection. Quite the best pigeon I have ever tasted. The sommelier was very helpful and helped my husband choose between 2 wines when he couldn't decide in fact we had a number of different staff serving us, all of whom seemed very courteous and knowledgeable although personally I prefer to have the one waitress/waiter all evening.
All in all a memorable evening in very elegant surroundings. You wouldn't go every week, unless you have a sizable trust fund, but a lovely treat if you are visiting the island.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sitting high above the fishing harbour in Ventnor, The Hambrough (AA 5 Star Accommodation) offers accommodation by the sea on the southern tip of the Isle of Wight. All but one of our seven spacious bedrooms has magnificent views of the sea and our award winning breakfasts are legendary. Although our restaurant is closed for the time being our bar is open where we are serving delicious afternoon and cream teas. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Odigeo and Priceline so you can book your The Hambrough reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Hambrough Hotel Ventnor
- Hambrough Hotel Ventnor
- Hambrough Ventnor
- The Hambrough Ventnor, Isle Of Wight