“Maybe an off day?”

The Seapot
Ranked #12 of 56 Restaurants in Ventnor
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Cheap Eats, View, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Cash Only, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Ventnor, United Kingdom
“Maybe an off day?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

Visited here on a lovely sunny windy Sunday lunch and although it was busy as expected I thought the service was very poor and food very average.
We also ordered three strawberry and one bannana milkshake and although as expected there was a wait (they are on the menu with real ice cream fresh fruit and milk) after waiting over 20 minutes for them and seeing other people receiving theirs I went up to the counter to ask for them and all I was told was they are coming I was just ordered 12 milkshakes one after the other however I did notice there was nesquik milkshake powder on the counter next to the blender and my strawberry milkshake was extremely pink tasted like warm milk with a small dollop of ice cream and a strawberry on the top for £2.75
The hot dog was also ok, baguette a bit soggy
Over all lovely location but they need to get more staff to cope with the demand or upgrade their equipment and improve their milkshakes and stop using powders

2 Thank sol1993
Hi,

I'm so very sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your experience with us and although we were extremely busy with food and milkshake orders of all varieties coming out of our ears that day, this should not be an excuse that we have affected your perception of us, our service and the quality of our food and drink and we feel terrible about this.

As for our milkshakes, yes you're right we do use powders in two of our flavours as they are the tried and tested best way to produce them, if we used the required punnet of strawberries, we would have to class them as smoothies and charge a lot more than £2.75, so we agreed on a happy medium with great ingredients (which are a scoop of ice cream - mixed in, cream, fruit - where appropriate - with a fruit or chocolate and ice gream garnish) at a reasonable price and most customers seem pleased with them. Perhaps we might need to change the wording on the menu in case customers are expecting the thick ice-cream type of shakes you would get in the large chain fast food outlets.

We are still very new at this, (week 12) and are constantly learning and adapting and we know we have a lot to do to streamline and speed things up whilst maintaining quality. Your feedback is greatly appreciated and has been noted and once again we are so sorry. One day we hope you'll give us another chance to repair your opinion of us.

Ventnor, United Kingdom
“Position, position, position”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

What a great place to to sit in the sun and polish off a seafood platter and jug of Pimms whilst gazing out to sea! This place has become a regular watering hole for us but the best visit ever was on Round the Island Race day when, because their was no wind, we were treated to a marine cavalcade virtually all day long. I don't how how a small cafe could supply that amount of Pimms - but they did.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Debby R
Seapot, Owner at The Seapot, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Hi Debby R, Thanks for your review and lovely feedback - Yes we're not sure how we survived the (albeit by the skin of our teeth) Round-the Island Race Pimms purge either! ;-)

Kind regards,

Ventnor, England, United Kingdom
“I love this place!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

I love this fab little spot! I love spending time with my mum here we try and go once a week, have a cuppa and crumpets and even a cake. Its such a special place, such a fab place to sit look at the sea.and let the sea air take your worries away. KERRI and James have done an amazing jov turning this ibto a place which will be loved by meny! My little safe place by the sea. Go see it for yourself!!

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank tanyaandbobby
Seapot, Owner at The Seapot, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Hi, thank you for taking the time to write us such lovely reviews. We're so glad that you love your time spent here and those were the very feelings we wanted to evoke when we designed the place, so it's lovely to hear! Thanks for your continued support too! :-)

“AWFUL”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

I was really excited to try this new place out... However was disappointed when the man that called himself the owner could not even be bothered to put the tables up downstairs which made it impossible for you to go there with a pram. Very rude this man was and shocking customer service skills. Ended up walking away and would never return.

3 Thank Louose
Seapot, Owner at The Seapot, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear Louse,

I feel your egregious review of my café, requires a response so here goes…
I’m concerned that you felt that you were poorly treated on your visit to us, however I think that (and this is supposing that you are a genuine reviewer) the recent heat must have been troubling you as I find your two terrible reviews of a pair of consistently five-star rated outlets, in the same location, on the same day a little unfortunate.

I'm rather perplexed by your review as during the occasion in which you claimed to have visited us, I was working front of house - very much female, with my usual sunny disposition and with the bottom tables set up. (It is true that we do not always set these tables up in the week, especially when it is very windy as our customers prefer the sheltered top deck and we don’t like furniture and menus taking flight and attacking the customers and passing public. We have a lot of customers using wheelchairs and pushchairs and we will always accommodate them and provide table service for them (we genarally provide counter service) - we even help carry pushchairs up the steps if customers prefer to be more sheltered on blustery days and we've even held twin babies to allow a lone parent to use the toilet!

As for the rude man, perhaps you mistook a member of the public or customer for the owner as both myself and my brother pride ourselves on our excellent customer service, communication and people skills and we work exceedingly hard to provide a friendly, welcoming and pleasing customer experience; regardless of how hot and bothered and busy we are or whether someone’s just asking for directions, having a cup of tea or a champagne lunch. We work in the most wonderful location and attract the loveliest of customers and there is nothing about our day that could ever necessitate rudeness!

Neither of us has any recollection of ever refusing to accommodate a customer with a pushchair, let alone with associated rudeness and I find your statement to the contrary genuinely baffling!

So in keeping with our fabulous customer service ethos, I would like to say, if you would like to return (with your pushchair of course) and identify yourself, we will give you a complimentary drink and a piece of cake and even give you hot water for the baby’s milk (we do that too – free of charge as standard!)

East Cowes, United Kingdom
“yummy homemade cakes”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

We stopped for coffee & cake, lovely fresh coffee, decaff available. Really lovely homemade cakes using home grown produce. A lovely place to stop & chill out, so peaceful.

• Visited June 2014
Seapot, Owner at The Seapot, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Hi thanks for your lovely review, especially about the cakes - James and I have a bit of a sibbling rivalry going on with cakes versus soups! :-)