My wife and I were booked in for a 3 night stay just before Easter to avoid the crowds. We were met at the door by Bob and Esme, Bob helped us with our luggage and took us to our room. We had booked the larger 4 poster with spectacular views of the Harbour and sea front. The room was spacious and spottlessly clean with crisp bed linen. We were not dissapointed.
Our main reason for visiting Ventnor was to use it as a hub for walking. Bob provided us with expert local knowledge and hand drawn maps showing the best scenic routes and tea stops. Without this we would have missed the most delightful tea shack on the coastal route to Shanklin.
With regards to eating out, again Bob came to the rescue offering first hand knowledge of the local pubs and restuarants. We recommend 'Philleas Fog' just up the hill. Fantastic food served in a timely manner. For more traditional pub grub, we were directed to 'The Spyglass', a short walk along the sea front. We chose a night of Jazz and was most impressed. Entertainment is on most nights.
This leaves Esme and her 'to die for' breakfast. Choice is limitless, I had Kippers one morning which melted in my mouth.My wife chose a half breakfast which was plenty.
All good things come to an end and sadly for us we took a call just after breakfast the second day to realise a member of our family was ill. Bob and Esme could see our distress and went that extra mile to help in what way they could. The telephoned ahead to the ferry company and arranged a change at no cost. Our bill was left unsettled to be sorted at a later date. This left us with the daunting 6 hour drive to Yorkshire. Arriving at the Ferry operator in Yarmouth, they were expecting us and placed us on the next available ferry. A few weeks later Esme sent us a touching email and reimbursed our card for the day we had lost. Bob and Esme did not have to do this and for that I am most grateful.
I recommmend the St Augustine in Ventner with out reservation. In fact If Bob and Esme ever sold up and bought another Hotel, I would recommend that without even visiting it, I know they would never settle for second best.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Dating from 1843, St.Augustine Villa (Harbour View Hotel) is a fine Victorian Villa, full of great character and charm and character, occupying an unrivalled position on Ventnor Esplanade. "Probably one of the most photographed buildings on the island due to its stunning sea view location." We specialize in luxury B&B only. Town and excellent restaurants are within easy walking distance. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Agoda so you can book your St. Augustine Villa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- St. Augustine Villa Hotel Ventnor
- Harbour View Ventnor
- St. Augustine Villa Ventnor, Isle Of Wight