On deciding to select a place to stay on the Isle of Wight we finally settled on Ventnor, the next task was to find a suitable place to spend out time. Having found St Augustine Villa and reading the reviews on Trip Advisor we decided to book a three day stay. We made contact with Esme and Bob the owners and they were not only extremely helpful but were able to arrange our ferry crossings. Upon arrival we were greeted by Bob who to his credit insisted upon carrying out luggage up to our room, a nice little gesture. We then met Esme a delightful lady and it became clear that both Esme and Bob have attention to detail. We were taken up to our room which had excellent sea views as promised, none the restricted views that some establishments advertise which turn out to be rubbish views. Our room was tastefully furnished and the bed was extremely comfortable, the bathroom is well appointed and above all the room was spotless.
Ventnor is a quiet little place with no nightlife to speak of, what it is however is a area in which to relax, chill out and enjoy the peace and quiet as we certainly did. The Pub at the other end of the esplanade the Spyglass is decent pub food and we can also recommend the Rex Piano Bar which lies at the top of the hill a little way up from The Augustine Villa. Ventnor is an ldeal place to be located to explore the island although Sandown has the better beach.
Breakfast at the St Augustine was extremely good, varied and of high quality, Esme's Fruit Salad was especially welcome and was made fresh from fresh fruit not the woeful tinned efforts encountered at some other places ! Plenty of Tea and Coffee, Fresh Orange Juice, Six different kinds of cereal and hearty full english all served by Esme's pleasant and engaging conversation and always attentive to the guests. Breakfast is served in the conservatory with relaxing views of the bay and sea which provide a dimension to breakfast and the Villa is ideally placed to enjoy a pleasant stay.
We would have no hesitation in recommending the St Augustine Villa and its genial hosts and could certainly stay again. We would ignore any negative views of this establishment as the majority of views match our own experiences. Thanks must go to Bob & Esme for their hard work in making the place so enjoyable and for taking time to ensure our stay was so very pleasant over our three days with them.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Dating from 1843, St.Augustine Villa (Harbour View Hotel) is a fine Victorian Villa, full of great character and charm and character, occupying an unrivalled position on Ventnor Esplanade. "Probably one of the most photographed buildings on the island due to its stunning sea view location." We specialize in luxury B&B only. Town and excellent restaurants are within easy walking distance. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Agoda and Odigeo so you can book your St. Augustine Villa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- St. Augustine Villa Hotel Ventnor
- Harbour View Ventnor
- St. Augustine Villa Ventnor, Isle Of Wight