“Great”

Melrose Guest House
Ranked #15 of 17 Hotels in Douglas
“Great”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Me and my wife stayed here and was a bit weary as we have an 18 month child. The proprietors wife was very helpful and friendly and helped us with our bags to our room.
Although not the biggest, it was value for money and it was suitable for a short stay. On my last day our ferry back to england was very early in the morning and the proprietor had the dining room opened early and laid out a little breakfast for me and my wife, a little gesture but was very much appreciated. All in all, nice little clean BandB, I probably wouldn't stay with a small child but don't let this put you off. A short walk from town centre and a very good value.

• Stayed August 2014
3 Thank squidgey77

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Peel, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I have used this place six times now. It is run by a nice couple, is clean and quiet. Breakfast is quite good. Bear in mind that most rooms are up several flights of stairs and that it is up a steep hill from the sea front (this doesn't bother me as it's some exercise after big meals out!). Perhaps the cheapest lodging on the island?

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank pony2323
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

I'll try my best to not sound negative, but I'm a glass half empty type of guy
The b&b is ideally located for Douglas town and the front garden with it's chairs are ideal for looking out to sea
I'm used to either being at home or sleeping in a tent, but some may turn their noses up
The rooms are clean and tidy but are a little dated and I love how there appeared to be a slope in the room so the dressing table and the wardrobe had packing under the front legs
That's my negatives out of the way
Breakfast was plentiful and the proprietors were polite and helpful
Just one suggestion, could we have an ashtray in the front garden, I felt guilty stubbing out my ciggy in the street, Douglas is such a clean town

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Colin S
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 November 2013

I only write positive reviews on TripAdvisor - and my 3-night stay at the Melrose was a very positive experience. I arrived early, but there was no problem getting into my room; Peter had upgraded it from a single to an en-suite twin without further charge. Despite some of the other comments here, I found the 3rd floor room cosy and accommodating and the bed particularly comfortable - exactly what a tired traveller wanting to get away from it all needs most! The hill on which the property is situated is quiet and convenient for various Douglas amenities/attractions; it also provides a good view of the bay.
Peter was a great host, providing substantial cooked breakfasts, including an early one when I needed to catch the ferry home. He also provided a lot of interesting information about the island, which was very helpful to a first-time visitor. All in all, as a solo traveller in search of a quiet, fuss-free short break, this was just what I needed. Many thanks; I would certainly stay again.
Phil E

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Phil E
Blackpool
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Just spent 2 nights at the Melrose Guest House and had a fantastic time.
It is in a brilliant location (although situated on a hill so may be problematic for people with mobility issues) within easy reach of the promenade, sea port, railway and shops.
We arrived early but our room was ready. The room was small but really clean. It has tea/coffee facilities, tv and twin beds. All facilities were really clean. The TV lounge is a great area if you intend on spending some time relaxing.
The proprietors were so friendly and helpful.
Breakfast was fantastic and really could not be faulted.
We would definately use it as a base again. Good price and good facilities.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 September 2013

I made the reservation for this guest house six months ago. On arrival we discovered that it is at the top of two very steep hills. The front of the guest house could do with a lick of paint and updated decor. We rang the bell and was greeted by Peter the owner, who informed us that the room would be ready by 11:00 am, which was not bad as we had arrived at 8:30 am. We were then told we were on the 2nd floor and given the key, but no further information regarding breakfast, layout or anything else in the hotel. Our room was small but clean & comfortable. The bathroom although clean, the faded brown towels were a bit off putting as was the 70's decor.
The second night we stayed, we were sitting in our beds watching television, talking and laughing about the days events. A voice came from the hallway and told us "girls get to bed", I jumped and said pardon "I can hear you cackling downstairs" came the response. We had the television on mute, no alcohol in the room, and as the room is so small there was now where to sit other than on the bed. To say we were annoyed and astonished is an understatement. On a particularly cold night we asked for a heater which we got after some questioning from the management.
I love visiting the Island and have done so for 30 years and have stayed in many guest houses and hotels. This establishment seemed cheap and cheerful but less than what we expected even for the price we paid. It is a comfy room with en-suite but you pay extra for that. There are quite a few room spread over 5 floors with a lot of stairs but no lift access.
When checking out Peter held our luggage for us and hoped we had a good journey home. Which was courteous. But I am afraid I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Not suitable for the Elderly, Disabled or families with young children. Near to transport: The bus...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank Clare D
Peter C, Owner at Melrose Guest House, responded to this review, 14 September 2013
I'm not in the habit of commenting on guest reviews but feel that in this case it is necessary. Your description of 70's decor and someone prowling the corridors ordering you to "get to bed" conjures up farcical images of Fawlty Towers. I sincerely hope that you have not been under the impression that either myself or my wife was responsible for making such a demand or rudely referring to your "cackling". In the extremely rare case of rowdiness demanding my attention during the night (not one instance during 2013), I knock on the door and identify myself as the proprietor before addressing the problem as politely as possible. Any anonymous comments shouted from the corridors I can assure you can only have come from a fellow guest. Not myself being aware of any disturbance from your room I cannot comment on whether this guest was justified to any degree but certainly he was tactless and rude. I am sure you will agree however that it is unfair to judge us by the behaviour of one of our guests. This unfortunate episode which I'm sure you found very shocking has I believe shaded your opinion of the Melrose causing you to find further faults many of which we believe are unfair.

First of all regarding your check in at 8.30am I believe that a high level of service was provided to accommodate your early arrival. You arrived, were greeted politely and informed that although we were currently serving breakfast and your room was not ready (check out is 11am) you were welcome to drop off your bags which you did after removing some items you might need. I also directed you to a public bathroom you were able to use and let you know that you were able to rest in the guest lounge on the first floor. If your room was ready I would have escorted you there but instead I gave you the key and let you know the room was on the second floor and would be ready by 11am (Really do not understand your point about not receiving information about "layout", it is a single Victorian townhouse with one set of stairs, you simply walk up and layout is apparent). After the last guest had left the dining room we then disrupted our normal routine of the breakfast clear up in order to get your room ready as quickly as possible which we achieved by 10.30am including making sure all your luggage was taken to your room so it would be waiting for you when you returned. I had decided to give you the key before your room was available in order to give you the option of returning to the guest house at any time you chose without worrying about whether we were going to be in or out. Other guests who arrive outside of normal check in times are always very appreciative of our efforts despite the fact that it is not always possible to provide the same level of attention and service at these times. We are a small guest house run by my wife and myself. Let me explain that when you arrive at 8.30am my wife is serving guests in the dining room and I am cooking in the kitchen. There is no third person and so while dealing with you we have to balance this with ensuring our breakfast guests are not neglected or the bacon under the grill is not burning or the kitchen is not on fire.

In regards to your comment about faded brown towels my wife is particularly livid about this as those are her favourites! They are natural straw colour (not faded brown), very new and very high quality expensive towels. We are not unaware of the trend for just about all hotels to favour the clinical look with white towels and indeed we use white in most rooms but in your room my wife has specially chosen a towel colour to match the decor.

And on the point of decor your idea of 70's decor must be drastically different from what my wife and I think of. For anyone reading this who may have the same idea of 70's decor as we do I can assure you that the Melrose has no shag pile carpets, flocked wallpaper or bedspreads covered in paisley or any other manner of hideous designs and colours (and definitely no avocado bathroom fixtures).

As for the heating you received a heater the first night of your stay and it was not given grudgingly. You spoke to my wife about heating and she did not subject you to any kind of questioning, she did say are you cold but that was a surprised exclamation rather than a question. She was surprised because the previous night we had switched on the central heating for the first time since summer ended but the next day had received two complaints about rooms being too hot (even when turned to the lowest setting in the room it provides some background heat when the central heating system is on), although the first week of September was changeable there were no cold nights (temperatures similar to June) . In order not to upset any other guests we decided not to switch on the central heating but to provide you with your own heater which would be at your own control. I took the heater to your room and let you know you could make the room as hot as you wanted which you duly did. Next day doing room service shortly before noon the heater was still on full blast even though you had gone out for the day and even after switching off and opening both windows it was extremely uncomfortable.

The Melrose has 11 guest bedrooms spread over three floors not five (three floors at the front of the building and a three storey later extension at the back). Yes, there are a lot of stairs as anyone would expect in a large Victorian town house but no more than a moderately healthy person of any age can handle. Of course the first floor is better for some people and when we receive requests for first floor rooms we try to accommodate. We have never had anyone arrive expecting a lift and I know of no similar size guest house on the Island having one. If you require a lift then of course go to a big hotel. From the promenade any accommodation not on the promenade will require a walk uphill. The main guest house area of Douglas (excluding promenade hotels) requires a much further and steeper uphill walk than coming to the Melrose which is very well placed in the town centre only a two minute walk from the Manx Museum, with a taxi service almost on our doorstep and bus stops at the top of the road for those who prefer not to walk.

What we find most upsetting about this review is actually your room tip which excludes a large portion of our most frequent and regular visitors. There are many elderly people perfectly capable of walking up stairs and in fact we frequently get older couples requesting a particular room at the very top of the house because of its hill and sea views. We currently have an elderly gentleman staying in his late seventies who not only can manage our stairs but spends most of the day cycling up and down the Islands hills. We have a gentleman in his eighties stay every summer who jogs for miles each morning and competes in triathlons. While these are extreme examples there are many more ordinary active healthy senior citizens to whom your advice is patronizing. Likewise your room tip advises not suitable for families with young children. You know nothing of our other rooms, we actually have two family rooms in almost constant use during the school summer holidays and other rooms such as triples are also used by families. We have gone to great efforts to upgrade these rooms and appeal to young families such as with DVD players in rooms, board games and books in the lounge as well as Wii computer games. Oh, and by the way young children love the stairs, they are a favourite haunt for kids to hang out and I have never heard a child complain that there are too many of them. Obviously parents supervise toddlers and hold their hand or walk behind them on the stairs. Fair enough our guest house is not suitable for disabled people who do not have use of or only limited use of their legs but there are many different disabilities and we have had many disabled guests staying either alone or with the help of a carer.

Your room tip is not useful, is very damaging and as far as I can tell is mainly based on your aversion to stairs or your mistaken view of me as a Basil Fawlty type character who could maybe not cope with some children making a noise. This is far from the truth and the vast majority of children we have stay are extremely well behaved, go to bed relatively early and cause no one any loss of sleep.

We are sorry that you would probably not return again but this is not as a result of any lack of courtesy or service on our behalf. Of course we would be delighted to welcome you back again and perhaps have a chance to change some of your opinions.

Best regards,
Peter & Xin
Proprietors
Lincolnshire
Reviewed 24 June 2013

I have stayed in worse. Its very handy for Douglas centre and the station etc as long as you don't have a disability as you have to walk up a hill which ever way you approach it from. Also all the rooms are on the first floor or above. Our room was on the 5th floor up lots of stairs, which was a fair climb even though we are able bodied.

The landlord and landlady are very hospitable. Breakfast is hot and plentiful and they are happy to make any combination of items ie beans on toast. We had to leave early on our last day so they left us a continental breakfast which was appreciated.

The room was a bit tired - could have used a lick of paint, and the shower could definitely do with some regrouting. The kettle was a bit suspect so we didn't have a cup of tea. My own personal gripe is that I didn't find the bed very comfortable, but that's only my opinion.

Would I stay here again? probably not, but it's not bad value for the money.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends