“Went in for coffee, left glad to get out”
Review of Costa Coffee

Costa Coffee
Ranked #13 of 13 Coffee & Tea in Douglas
Reviewed 19 October 2022

What a disgrace. A very cross and grumpy large lady was smashing about with the coffee making machine. The rather over burdened guy who took my order seemed to cower whenever coffee-zilla shouted at him, between smashing up the coffee maker. Eventually Atilla the Coffee turned her attention to us ands demanded to know what we wanted. Having asked for 2 lattes and a flat white I had the temerity to ask for 3 baps and a toastie to be heated up. Zillo glared at me with some sort of passionate hatred of customers but managed to put me down with the barbed observation that “you can see we are busy at the moment”. I could see that but given the frankly hostile environment I could not see why,
Chastised by the Iron Lady of coffee ;for daring to ask for food, we meekly took our very poor, week lattes and sat down. Observing the staff i l felt nauseated to see one of the staff holding a plate of toasties and shouting in full breath directly over the top of the plate to call in the unsuspecting customer. Get a costa toastie and have free tonsil bacteria with every order!
Presently the angry one herself arrived with 3 out of the 4 food items we had at some epoc in the distant past ordered. A bad atmosphere became decidedly worse as we asked for nopkins and the missing 4th toastie.
The honestly terrible experience was rounded off by a trip to the shocking toilets. Goodness me - I don’t think I have ever used a toilet in a cafe in such a rank and vile condition. Toilet paper on the floor. A toilet bowl with its own species of small brown life forms. A broken flush handle like a left over from a riot scene.
What can I say? Douglas Costa was really bad.

Date of visit: October 2022
2  Thank David W

Reviewed 9 September 2019

Been here many years and never thought I’d say I MISS GARY, any local will know what I mean. Since Gary left to pastures new IoM Costa and especially strand street is filthy, unkempt, sticky tables, bland vacant staff who ignore you when say good morning (on many visits) unless your a friend of course as too busy gossiping with them or from behind counter, smelly broken toilets with seat continually fall off, bigger girl who may be a supervisor as been there a long time is rude, unkempt, ignorant, looks as if she needs a good wash. We was sat right by toilets, she went in, we both heard chain flush and she immediately came out, stank, no washing of hands or tap turned on, disgraceful and disgusting of Costa staff. If they did a germ test on food after she handled it I dread to think, felt sick walking out, Never go again. Come back Gary, All is forgiven!

Date of visit: September 2019
3  Thank Julie472k
Reviewed 3 September 2019

Excellent service and excellent coffee. Best place to go to for catch up with friends. Keep up the good work

Date of visit: September 2019
Reviewed 2 September 2019

An obvious shortage of staff with a queue snaking out to the door and a long wait for a very bland latte does nothing to brighten the day. It's time these people gave their customers a better deal. The latte they serve has very little coffee in it, in fact, it is just like drinking warm milk. For goodness sake, customers are paying enough, they want a quality brew.

Date of visit: August 2019
1  Thank Davey C
Reviewed 23 October 2018

Coffee was hot and tasty. Cake fresh and enjoyable. Busy at lunchtime with tourists and local people. We stopped for a rest before going on the tram.

Date of visit: October 2018