Empress Hotel
The Rutland Hotel(Douglas)(Great Value!)
US$107
Sefton Hotel(Douglas)
US$150
US$114
  • Pool
The Chesterhouse Hotel(Douglas)(Great Value!)
US$107
US$80
Regency Hotel(Douglas)
US$189
  • Restaurant
All reviewspiano barsea viewisle of manexcellent hotelbuffet breakfastthe penthouseevery eveningsingle roomcoach partyhotel roomsea frontroom was largett weekstayed for nightsnight stayshort breakdouglas bay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 September 2011

Staff very helpful, breakfast brilliant and rooms very spacious and extremely well presented.
I recommend a visit to this hotel if you are staying on the Isle of Man

Room Tip: We had a sea view room which was lovely
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lyn0607
Reviewed 12 September 2011

I have recently returned from a 2 night break at The Empress Hotel Central Promenade Douglas Isle of man. My friend & I travelled from Liverpool on 2nd September as a foot passenger on the steam packet catamaran., which in itself was a very enjoyable experience.
We had never been to the Island before & had chosen the Hotel through late rooms.
The Empress is advertised as 3*, this is not I feel the correct rating. From our experience it is well worthy of 4* rating.
It is a bright , tastefully, modern decor Hotel. The Hotel Reception is welcoming & to one side there is a spacious piano bar which serves a variety of food throughout the day till late. it has outlooks over the promenade & sea. To the other side is a well appointed restaurant again with promenade & sea outlooks which has a well thought out 'la carte menu. The Customer service throughout this Hotel is excellent where you really feel that you matter as a guest.
We had booked an upgraded room with a sea view as recommended by a comment on trip advisor. We were not disappointed it was lovely bright & clean & spacious.
The first night we ate in the a' la carte restaurant & the food was well cooked & presented beautifully, worthy of fine dining, our waiters were attentive & efficient without being invasive. The second night we ate in the piano bar again good service my only blip here was that I ordered a beef sandwich which was really missing the beef it was wafer thin & hardly covered the bread. At over £5 for this I thought it was a big let down .My friend had king prawn which was good.
Breakfast is served in the downstairs restaurant , which at night serves an International eat as much as you want buffet. The choice at breakfast was good, buffet style & was piping hot, ( a rare thing in my experience). the chef was popping out frequently to check & replenish the buffet.
All in all it was a truly enjoyable stay I would certainly return to the Empress & based on our experience would recommend you try this Hotel

Room Tip: Upgrade to a sea view room. Lovely room
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 July 2011

We stayed here for 7 nights, and it was a good experience. Other members of my party stayed at The Palace and The Sefton, which are both more lavish (as you would expect from 4 Star hotels) but are a bit overwhelming for my tastes. The Empress has all you need - a gym, swimming pool, sauna & steam room plus a decent restaurant, bar & breakfast room. It doesn't have reserved parking, but finding a free parking space on the promenade wasn't a problem - not once! And so to the moans (and what review would be complete without those!): the single room was too small, although it made good use of the space; no sea view - none of the single rooms have a view; no bottled water or fridge in room; breakfast provided only butter & full-cream milk - no Flora or skimmed/semi-skimmed.

Room Tip: Ask for a room well away from the lift; it's not noisy, but guests moving about late at night are!
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 June 2011

As this had been a bit of a rush booking job I hadn’t researched the hotel particularly thoroughly and opted for a typical seafront hotel with a reasonable trip advisor rating called ‘The Empress’ It was OK, what more can I say. It cost me a shade over fifty quid a night for a recently decorated rather small but acceptably equipped room at the rear of the hotel. I had dinner in the ‘restaurant’ on Saturday night. ‘Restaurant’ is rather ostentatious really, it was actually just a part of the open plan lobby set aside for diners. The fact there was only me on a Saturday night should have set the alarms off but, I was tired, it was after 9 and lengthy walk into the centre of Douglas if I wanted to eat out. The quality of the food would suggest that those reasons are behind more than one reason for anyone choosing to eat here, definitely not the food itself based on what I was served. But, hey, you can’t win them all. In fairness the room was perfectly acceptable for the price paid and in the morning they do serve a rather good buffet style breakfast in the basement. Wi-Fi was free but there is no car park. You can park on the road outside, which is the promenade, but bearing in mind I was not there in peak season I had to park quite a walk away from the entrance. So to sum up on the Empress, good value for b&b, go out for dinner.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 February 2010

A good breakfast otherwise for the price poor value for money

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo