“My worst B&B ever!”

Duns, United Kingdom
“My worst B&B ever!”
Reviewed 20 July 2013

Dear Sir/Madam

I stayed in The 'Mereside' Guesthouse on Thursday night for just the one night.
I booked by phone and paid a £20 deposit

I have just returned from the IOM. I was there for a family funeral
I was up at 4am to drive to Edinburgh airport for 5.30am to check in to the Manchester flight, then to change to the IOM flight which arrived at 9.30am (No direct flight)
We (My sister & I) spent the day at the Funeral, Crematorium and the wake, leaving to book into the Mereside Guest house, at around 4pm.
When we arrived we were told we would be in another building two doors along the street. (Rosslyn, which I had read when booking, was the name of a room) When we opened the front door we noticed the carpet was filthy, we continued up the stairs into a closed corridor with no air, nearly passing out with the heat, only to discover that our room at the end was exactly the same heat and had only one opening window and one in the shower room.
This posed another problem as the window looked out onto a roof and a bed sit opposite. The roof was frankly disgusting with cigarettes and rubbish all over it. We were also over looked by what looked like a block of flats to the right.
This all meant we had to close the window for security while we went out to dinner.

In the meantime I had been down to the Bar and had asked for something to be done and was told there were no other rooms. I asked for a fan and was told they (the Manager- I think) would look for one when the another person came on duty and would let us know at around 6pm, nothing happened.
We came back from our dinner to find the room even hotter, making us feel quite sick.

I went once again to the Bar to ask for a fan. A young man came back with me to see if he could open another window, he couldn’t, and he admitted it was extremely hot in the room.
As my sister went to take a cool shower she found the heater behind the door was on so hot you couldn’t put your hand on it.
I again went to the bar and told the Manager, whom I think didn’t believe me but come with me to check the heating dials and told me someone must have knocked it on. She said she had turned it off; she also declined to come to our room when I asked her to see for herself.
She lied, the heater was still extremely hot in the morning, my sister and I had very little sleep and we both had headaches and felt really very unwell.
Then to cap it all, the breakfast was abysmal, burnt toast delivered to the table, and the cooked food had been in the warmer for far too long, then when handing in the key I was informed they had taken the remainder payment off my card details with out my notice or permission. I should have paid deposit with credit card, then they could not have done that.
I have never been treated this way by anyone. This room was priced at £80 and was a total rip off. I would have been better in a tent, at least I would have had air to breathe.
The room was only worth £30 at the most for B&B for one night. FEEL CHEATED! This is nearly a copy of the registered letter I have sent to the Mereside which they have not yet had the courtesy to reply to. I of course had asked that they do the decent thing and refund my hard earned cash.
Maybe the Mereside Hotel is a nice place to stay, I booked the Mereside, but didn't stay there, and was treated very shabbily by the Mereside staff. The overall attitude to my sister and myself was insulting to the extreme. We were lied to, cheated of our money and nearly became very ill due to their unhelpfulness over a simple matter of a fan and a decent breakfast.
I will not be going back!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
8 Thank PeteandGill_13

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Kata Beach, Thailand
Reviewed 2 July 2013

A good hotel in a central location just off the sea front nice clean and modern rooms with the use of a sister hotel nearby serving nice food and hearty beeakfast i payed £49 for one night excellent value for money friendly staff to sum up faultless and i would return

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank franktheshoe
Carrickfergus, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2013

Dined here on Sunday 23rd June while on a 3 day break. Food was Excellent & staff were friendly & helpful. The menu was reasonably priced and portions were large. After eating here I would definitely consider staying if returning to The Isle of Man again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Hillsborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Angela and Ian along with their manager Chris have created an environment that is perfect for the business traveller as well as the holiday maker. From first class well prepared food in the the comfortable H10 bar and restaurant to lovely airy well equipped bedrooms at extremely realistic prices. The self service buffet breakfast has plenty of choice and lovely and hot with stacks of fresh coffee, no better way to start a hectic business day and then return in the evening to a nice cool pint and sit down to some solid home cooking. Try the local freshly caught "Callig" served up with chunky chips and good old fashion mushy peas, excellent. Will be back and that's for sure!

Room Tip: Ask for front facing room
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Kirkham, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2013

Had a really good time here for the bowls week from being greeted by Angela on the Sunday to leaving on the Friday you was made to feel like it was your home. Lancashire lass Hayley and all the staff were great and have already booked for next year

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
St Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for three nights on a Caterham 7 driving weekend and were very pleased with the hotel. The staff were very helpful, the food was great and the location was perfect - just 10 minutes drive from the ferry terminal and 10 minutes to the TT grandstand and course. Great trip.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Aitch42
DRIFFIELD
Reviewed 10 June 2013

Booked this for the TT race week, did not expect much as it was a last min deal. It was clean, comfy and the breakfast was very good and plenty of choice and portion self serve buffet was good. Room 1 had lovely twin beds and bathroom with big shower, no view out of the window but i sleep in a bedroom so not fussed. The patio was very nice to have a drink from the bar on and several theme nights are good for dining, e,g steak night wed is 2 with bottle wine for £25. Overall i would stay here again as it was informal friendly and clean and in the middle of the prom equal disatnce from either side of the prom made it an ideal location.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends