“You get what you pay for.”
Review of Sugarland Hotel

Sugarland Hotel
Ranked #33 of 37 Douglas B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 August 2014

We stayed 3 nights, comfortable clean beds, staff are friendly, breakfast wasn't the best (frying pan could do with a wash) a bit dated but does the job as it's only a place to sleep. A map would be handy to find your way about as it's massive!! Would stay again

• Stayed: August 2014

Reviewed 18 August 2014

My wife and I stayed here, and we enjoyed it immensely. The place may be a standard guesthouse and rather dated, but it was clean and comfortable, the lift was fully functional, free wi-fi and an abundant supply of piping hot water in the bathroom. The room we had was very spacious, some of the other guests said theirs was a large box room.
William and his family were accommodating and nothing was too much trouble, and William knows his football, we had a few good chats about the good & bad, past & present.
Six freeview channels on the T.V. in the room with a seventh channel coming from the satellite box in the lounge - so if you set up the box in the lounge then you can watch the sports or films or comedy or whatever in your room.
In the prime location on the front of the promenade, close to the sea terminal. So, a brisk walk along the prom would take about 30 minutes to the end and then 30 minutes back again. and again about 30 minutes up Broadway to St.Ninians church and then around the corner to the grandstand of the T.T. course. And easy walking distance to to the bars on the front, or on Prospect Hill or even on the quayside of the marina.
Gives you a taste of what the Isle of Man must have been like years ago.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tommy M
Reviewed 4 July 2014

When we arrived at the Sugarlands Hotel first impressions were "oh dear",followed by a comical check in during which one of our party of three was "lost" on the checking in list,ironically he was the one who hade made the booking.Having checked in we were required to pay up front ? Two different ammounts for the same room type ! We were then shown to our rooms,The lift had "just broken"before we arrived and stayed off all weekend.The staircase was like the north face of the Eiger it was so steep,and to make things worse the bannister rail was filthy ,to the point whereby I wouldn't use it.
The room itself was cleanish however the dish behind the soil pipe on the toilet collecting the drips was an extra I could have done without.None of the furniture matched and the bed whilst clean was as hard as they come.
I could go on but by now I think you have the jist of the place, all the time we were there there was a damp,smell every time you walked in which was most off putting.
Good points ? Breakfast was ok, staff were friendly enough,and that was pretty much it, would I stay there again?what do you think ?

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank David B
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Ok its MGP time on the IoM and the annual search for accomodation has been underway for a good long time.
Looking for more "come-and-go-as-you-like-ability" than is standard of Homestay I started trawling for BnB style accomodation.
Now if you have travelled as a "singly" a bit, you will be aware of the disadvantages this can bring as part of the deal. The most common disadvantage is finding single room accomodation at a reasonable price. Very often these rooms are tiny, tucked-away, soul less environs, occupied by us "underclass" of the holidaying community.
And so I arrive at the Sugarland, having already read the few non-commital, tip-toeing reviews already available on this site.
Now before I launch into the review I must explain that I was grateful that Sugarland had a room free and at a reasonable cost per night, I thought.
Upon arrival the parking for my bike was available right outside, bouyed up by this positive start I entered the BnB and arrived at reception. A short check of the expected arrivals list confirmed I was indeed booked in, key issued and shown the way to my room by what I assume to be a member of the family who spoke not a word of English (thats ok - if I ever get to China I will indeed be at a lingual disadvantage.)
The room seemed to be at the end of a never-ending run of stairs, seeing me out of breath whilst struggling with my luggage. Im sure I passed Sir Edmund Hilary on his descent, he seemed out of breath also lol.
Anyway, as I fully expected my weary spirits to be lifted by the outstanding view over Douglas Bay in the warm late summer sunshine, I squeezed through the door which seemed to have a restricted opening angle as it banged on something solid.
A sheepish look from my incoherent assistant saw him turn and follow Sir Edmund back down to base camp.
Left alone to explore my room, I was at once ill at ease to be confronted with a glorious view of guttering and cracked roof tiles through my grimy little window adorned with what I can only describe as "someones first attempt at putting up curtains"
I dont like cats, but if I did then swinging one in there was not an option, not even a very small cat by someone with very short arms.
The decor was clean if not distinctly "like me Nannas back bedroom" somewhere stuck in time when Ford Anglias were the vehicle of choice. On the other hand the old fashioned boxy TV had Eurosport plumbed in - RESULT !!! Now its all coming together boys n girls.
A quick glance round the room identified a tea tray with Tea / Coffee gear, kettle. hair dryer (sadly of no use to me). Table with chair, bedside cabinet, and divan (that's a great 60's word isn't it - "divan" mmmmmm nice, bed. a telephone with clock showing it was indeed 1963 in here, and a wardrobe for single people (ie not big enough for all your stuff)
My attempt at brewing-up left me fault finding the electrical problem with the extension lead being the culprit, yes the poundshop had sold them a dud, which needed the full weight of the rooms occupant bringing to bear before said lead would make electrical contact and fire up the kettle.
Look Im an ex soldier right who has lived for long periods of time in derelict buildings, holes in the ground, barns etc so Im not fazed by this scenario, actually its all quite de-luxe really.
The bottom line here is that ok its not a great room in a great BnB, but its also not overpriced either, its clean, has everything you need (as long as you are an ex soldier or a survivalist) believe me I HAVE been in worse accommodation.
The advantages of being in that particular room were many-fold, for example I new immediately what was being cooked up in the kitchen by the sudden invasion of odours from the extractor fans in the immediate vicinity, also despite not being a smoker myself, I was nevertheless able to share the experience of whoever fancied a fag in the bins area or rooms below mine, mmmmmmm nice..... also I felt part of the family as they argued about something or other down below out the back of the kitchens beneath my window in (tongues)
Lets cut to the chase, the room was slightly worrying, the toilets are some way off on a lower level and are cleaned daily : { allegedly, the lift referred to in other reviews is never going to be put back into service so abandon hope all ye who think it may be) The breakfast is a bit random in its consistency (unless blackened meat is a delicacy in China) and you may not always get the toast you ask for, HOWEVER it is delivered promptly (albeit with missing bits) and with a cheerful nuance, and the tea is nice. Extra toast is offered if you show the international sign of "bad guts" - (Grimace accompanied by rubbing circular motion with right hand whilst pointing at the breakfast lying as yet unmolested on the plate.)
There is acceptably good wi-fi available in the lounge area (ask for password) - no Im not telling you what it is ! - ask the chap / chap-ess at reception, he/she will write it down for you.
The BnB is in a great location just a few minutes walk to the ferry terminal in one direction and a few yards from a couple of boozers in the other (nirvana for the single journeyperson)

You're probably wondering if I would use the BnB again, well of course I would, like I said, Ive bedded down in much more "diverse" surroundings - but have you ?

Room Tip: If you want to share my room-experiences by having the same room you will need to be fit to work at...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
6  Thank FrankyD&Sonia
Reviewed 4 July 2013

Was booked in here for two nights by my company.Basic,clean and cheap seam to sum up this hotel. It's well positioned on the sea front,serves a good breakfast.
The owner is a bit of a character very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
6  Thank worldseeer
Reviewed 23 June 2013

We stay here every year for one night as a group of lads. It's basic, clean, good breakfast and fair value for money. It's very standard and for a night or two ok to stop off. Its far from luxury and old fashioned but has a certain charm. Fix lift please, it's been broke for 3 years now!

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank TheFirrs
Reviewed 4 April 2013

PROS- My club has stayed here twice during the Easter athletics festival. Basic, clean and in an excellent location right on Douglas front and 2 mins from the ferry terminal.

Both times the owner and staff have been lovely to us- have let us borrow a bike, only asked politely that we dont get facepaint on the towels instead of charging us as many other places would do. We mostly had our pick of the rooms and breakfast was included and v tasty.

We arent the quietest of guests but the owner was absolutely happy to have us on both occasions.

CONS- its a really old building and, although its clean, its falling apart a little and very cold even with the heating on (radiators hot, room really cold!). The owner can actually be quite hard to locate in the big old building.

Room Tip: Rooms to the front of the building and those with more beds are colder- sea breeze gets through the...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends