“it was a very nice hotel to stay in” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Trevelyan Hotel

Trevelyan Hotel
Ranked #21 of 22 Hotels in Douglas
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“it was a very nice hotel to stay in”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2011

this hotel was a very pleasurable hotel to be staying. my room that i stayed in was not a sea view room but my dad was staying in one and itwas lovely but it is very nice anyway and so i did enjoy my stay here and my room. it was lovely to walk outside having the whole of douglas bay in front of you, it was beautiful.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank davenator13
TrevelyanIOM, Public Relations Manager at Trevelyan Hotel, responded to this review, 23 October 2012
Hi,

Thank you for your comment with regards to The Trevelyan Hotel. We aim to please all our customers every day of the year. If you have any feedback that can help us improve our services please email me on ik108@greenwich.ac.uk with reference Trevelyan/Tripadvisor.

Public Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Hebrew first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2011

My stay was during the TT races, I'd read all the reveiws and travelled with an open mind. On my arrival to the hotel I was pleasantly surprised. It's clean, Delia is extremley helpful, beds were comfy. Breakfast second to none. If you can oversee the what I would call the "old fashioned" exterior which incidently isn't all bad then a pleasant stay. I see all too often nowadays that people want something for nothing, I've stayed in hotels at £90 plus a night and I would say they aren't worth the money but I suppose some to disagree as they look "modern"!! Well done the McGuires I would recommend your hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank bikerjoe123

East Lothian
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2011

My stepfather had never been to the TT although it was on his "things to do list". As he is in his 70's and less fit than he use to be he went with my eldest son and I when we returned to the Island this year. As we were booking late at Xmas it was difficult to get accomodation, enter the Trevelyan. We were informed that we could get basic double rooms at £60 per night per room B.B. - in T.T. fortnight. I chatted on the phone to a very nice lady telling her about my fathers age, etc. we booked and asked if she could keep us in mind if a twin room came available. Then I read the reviews. As the rooms were cheap we were REALISTIC IN OUR EXPECTATIONS as we had been to different types and prices of accomodation on the Island since my first visit in 1985. Now pay attention. Our arrival was a surprise as the same lady as I had spoken to took us to our rooms and asked if the arrangements that she had made were acceptable. As my Father has a slight heart condition she had given us a room across the hall from the toilet and showers near to the lift (which does work providing some inconsiderate pixie doesn't leave the door open when they get out). The seaview room was like stepping back to the 70's (a time that I enjoyed greatly) and although dated was spotlessly clean, even under the beds. A very comfortable camp bed had been put in the room for me to give my father the double bed. A sink in the corner refused to give hot water until I discovered that some joker had swapped the tops of the taps - voila plenty of hot water. Breakfast was among the best hotel breakfasts that I have ever had and that includes a hotel in 1996 that the single room without breakfast cost £79 pounds per night ( paid for by my employers). Yes it is busy, Yes it was noisy most of the night as the people enjoying a drink and smoke at the front door of a summers night,They nearly drowned out the Motorbikes constantly driving past ( I do not drink and stopped smoking years ago but the behaviour of the people that did was not unacceptable) I did not encounter any non-residents , drunks , muggers or any other undesirable types wandering the corridors. If you do not want the noise that you would probably experience in any major city ( try the trams in Prague) ask for an en-suite at the back and miss out on the amazing sunrise and seaviews. I recognise in the other reviews similarities to my experiences (see above) the one that caught my attention was complaining of someone asleep in the front lounge - must have felt safe and at home then. I will consider the Trevelyan when we go for a family holiday next year just as I will consider all of the other good accomodation that I have experienced on the Island over the years.

Room Tip: Clean,central, ask the staff, close the lift door.
  • Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
6 Thank RabEastLothian

Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2010

I always read reviews with a pinch of salt. Sadly nowadays people want 5 star accommodation with a cheap price tag. I stayed at the Trevelyan for 5 nights, the owner and her daughter Delia were both extremly helpful and the rooms were clean. I feel that some of the comments placed on this reeiw page have been somewhat exaggerated. Last month I stayed at a Travel Lodge in Edinburgh and paid £79 per night, now if I were to chose between the two it wouldn't be the latter!
I have already booked to return and yes I will be staying at the Trevelyan

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
5 Thank Poops122

Knoxville, TN
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2010

It was not June 2010, but it wouldn't let me pick June 2006. The hotel was fine. I've read all these reviews, but you get what you pay for. There were problems with cleanliness in the shower, but other than that, the rooms were nice and the owners were fun. The breakfast was great.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Atravelingwego

Belfast, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2010

Have just returned from a wonderful stay at the Trevelyan, after a long overdue visit back to the Isle of Man. The Trevelyan is more of a very large Guest House, but that is not meant as a disservice to the owners - because I couldn't fault the property in any way. I simply make the point because other contributors in the forum seem to expect too much from this type of establishment, based on their reviews. Based on the price, service, and facilities for the category of hotel the Trevelyan falls into, I have awarded it 5 stars in the Tripadvisor grading. I've been fortunate to have stayed overseas in Shangri-la & Hilton properties this year, and whilst I would rate them as 5 stars as well, their category is completely different with different expectations. When judged against its competitors in similar UK-type resorts, I have no hesitation in grading the Trevelyan so highly.
Our room was very spacious and spotlessly clean, with tea and coffee making facilities and a Freeview TV. We had paid the small supplement for a sea facing room, and the clear views out across Douglas Bay made that investment worthwhile. Although an old Victorian building, the room had been recently refurbished, and had laminate wooden flooring and was painted in nice neutral colours. The bed was extremely comfortable and we had a great nights sleep during each of our three nights there. The owners, the McGuire family, could not have been more pleasant hosts - and nothing was too much trouble, including getting up at 5am to prepare our breakfast before our early Steam Packet crossing back to Belfast.
Horse trams stop just outside the hotel, and everything in Douglas is at your doorstep.
We'd a great stay, and look forward to returning again next year to the Trevelyan.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ulstair

mayo, ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2010

From the moment i stepped into the Trevelyan to the moment i left i really enjoyed my stay. The friendly family run business were very polite and friendly. The breakfast was so tasty and you could have as much toast and tea and coffee as you needed. The hotel was very clean and the room was spacious and newly decorated. The bar had great entertainment which friendly service from Tom and Jim. The music was great and there was a large TV to watch. The location is excellent as the hotel is on the promenade and close to town. I really enjoyed my stay and we are looking forward to goin back to this hotel again next year.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple