“OMG!”

Ranked #21 of 22 Hotels in Douglas
Orpington, England
“OMG!”
Reviewed 12 September 2011

I've thought long and hard about writing this review. You will have got a sense from others that the hotel is not that good. They are right. What others have failed to convey is how this hotel will never improve with the attitude of the management. The distain for paying clients is tangible - check the instructionary notices dotted around the hotel. The distain for the Tourist board who neglected to send any CYG2011 parties here - thank goodness! The rooms are pokey, tired and dated. A mismatch of bedding and towels, battered furniture awaits you. The positive though is that the rooms were clean. The hotel has a musty smell, is dark and unwelcoming.

I booked here because it was the only hotel with rooms left on the promenade during the CYG2011 , it was a forced choic. No - never again would I stay here and the next time I'm faced with a forced choice I'll invest in a tent.

Room Tip: Just don't do it!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
5 Thank Jrasher
TrevelyanIOM, Owner at Trevelyan Hotel, responded to this review, 14 August 2012
Thank you for your custom and thank you for your review.

First of all, the Tourism Department did not send anyone for the CYG because the hotel was not in the guide as it is only a two star hotel. This was not the only hotel not included in the selection process.

Second, other hotels during the CYG had rooms and this was not at all a last option for you however, you wanted a cheap place to stay and was given the best quality for the money you paid.

We strive to be the best hotel at a low cost to the customer however, you have to understand that if we charge £30 a night per person that you get what you pay for. We are currently upgrading, remodelling and redeisigning the hotel and welcome you back.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Hebrew first
Newcastle under Lyme
Reviewed 17 August 2011

We stayed in the Trevelyan and it was faultless. Very clean, lovely staff and a fantastic breakfast. We would be happy to stay here every time we visit Isle of Man.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank Wendy R
TrevelyanIOM, Public Relations Manager at Trevelyan Hotel, responded to this review, 23 October 2012
Hi,

Thank you for your comment with regards to The Trevelyan Hotel. We aim to please all our customers every day of the year. If you have any feedback that can help us improve our services please email me on ik108@greenwich.ac.uk with reference Trevelyan/Tripadvisor.

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2011

this hotel was a very pleasurable hotel to be staying. my room that i stayed in was not a sea view room but my dad was staying in one and itwas lovely but it is very nice anyway and so i did enjoy my stay here and my room. it was lovely to walk outside having the whole of douglas bay in front of you, it was beautiful.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank davenator13

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2011

My stay was during the TT races, I'd read all the reveiws and travelled with an open mind. On my arrival to the hotel I was pleasantly surprised. It's clean, Delia is extremley helpful, beds were comfy. Breakfast second to none. If you can oversee the what I would call the "old fashioned" exterior which incidently isn't all bad then a pleasant stay. I see all too often nowadays that people want something for nothing, I've stayed in hotels at £90 plus a night and I would say they aren't worth the money but I suppose some to disagree as they look "modern"!! Well done the McGuires I would recommend your hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank bikerjoe123

East Lothian
Reviewed 23 April 2011

My stepfather had never been to the TT although it was on his "things to do list". As he is in his 70's and less fit than he use to be he went with my eldest son and I when we returned to the Island this year. As we were booking late at Xmas it was difficult to get accomodation, enter the Trevelyan. We were informed that we could get basic double rooms at £60 per night per room B.B. - in T.T. fortnight. I chatted on the phone to a very nice lady telling her about my fathers age, etc. we booked and asked if she could keep us in mind if a twin room came available. Then I read the reviews. As the rooms were cheap we were REALISTIC IN OUR EXPECTATIONS as we had been to different types and prices of accomodation on the Island since my first visit in 1985. Now pay attention. Our arrival was a surprise as the same lady as I had spoken to took us to our rooms and asked if the arrangements that she had made were acceptable. As my Father has a slight heart condition she had given us a room across the hall from the toilet and showers near to the lift (which does work providing some inconsiderate pixie doesn't leave the door open when they get out). The seaview room was like stepping back to the 70's (a time that I enjoyed greatly) and although dated was spotlessly clean, even under the beds. A very comfortable camp bed had been put in the room for me to give my father the double bed. A sink in the corner refused to give hot water until I discovered that some joker had swapped the tops of the taps - voila plenty of hot water. Breakfast was among the best hotel breakfasts that I have ever had and that includes a hotel in 1996 that the single room without breakfast cost £79 pounds per night ( paid for by my employers). Yes it is busy, Yes it was noisy most of the night as the people enjoying a drink and smoke at the front door of a summers night,They nearly drowned out the Motorbikes constantly driving past ( I do not drink and stopped smoking years ago but the behaviour of the people that did was not unacceptable) I did not encounter any non-residents , drunks , muggers or any other undesirable types wandering the corridors. If you do not want the noise that you would probably experience in any major city ( try the trams in Prague) ask for an en-suite at the back and miss out on the amazing sunrise and seaviews. I recognise in the other reviews similarities to my experiences (see above) the one that caught my attention was complaining of someone asleep in the front lounge - must have felt safe and at home then. I will consider the Trevelyan when we go for a family holiday next year just as I will consider all of the other good accomodation that I have experienced on the Island over the years.

Room Tip: Clean,central, ask the staff, close the lift door.
  • Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
6 Thank RabEastLothian

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 December 2010

I always read reviews with a pinch of salt. Sadly nowadays people want 5 star accommodation with a cheap price tag. I stayed at the Trevelyan for 5 nights, the owner and her daughter Delia were both extremly helpful and the rooms were clean. I feel that some of the comments placed on this reeiw page have been somewhat exaggerated. Last month I stayed at a Travel Lodge in Edinburgh and paid £79 per night, now if I were to chose between the two it wouldn't be the latter!
I have already booked to return and yes I will be staying at the Trevelyan

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
5 Thank Poops122

Knoxville, TN
Reviewed 14 December 2010

It was not June 2010, but it wouldn't let me pick June 2006. The hotel was fine. I've read all these reviews, but you get what you pay for. There were problems with cleanliness in the shower, but other than that, the rooms were nice and the owners were fun. The breakfast was great.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business