“Excellent service”
Review of Rosslyn

Rosslyn
Ranked #28 of 37 Douglas B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 August 2013

Booked last minute, was upgraded at no extra charge. Stayed in Mereside last year, this time was put in Rosslyn. Room was really spacious, modern and comfortable. Sleeping area and Sitting area with couch. Great nights sleep. Food is always outstanding. Chris remembers his clients and always helpful. The place I will book for future visits.10/10. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Robby58

Reviewed 11 August 2013

I booked a double but given a twin so just pushed the beds together but could of moved to a double in other one of their B&Bs the next day. So housekeeping staff changed sheets to double duvet and then when got back in evening the dirty sheets and towel were just left outside room overnite. Went out next day come back evening and this time the bed hadn't been made or any cleaning done all they did was empty bin. The room was dusty when arrived and crumbs in the wardrobe aswell. I complained to owners and they were very sorry and made sure the room was cleaned the next day.The carpet had lots of stains on aswell. It wasn't up to my standards of cleaniness for a 4 star.The people in the room above were very heavy footed and banging around. The location was good just off the Prom so easy to walk to all attractions in Douglas. The Owners are lovely people but their housekeeping staff let thm down. Also the Rosslyn is unmanned and you are given a code to get in. Breakfast is served in HQ bar 2 doors down and im not a breakfast eater so I can't comment. I wouldn't stay again.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 11 June 2013

Pre-booked bed and breakfast, and ate in on 3 nights. The Rosslyn at the moment is only sleeping accomodation, all meals are taken in the HQ Bar 2 doors away - not a problem, we were advised updating of lounge decor is in hand. Our room was no 11, 47 stairs up was very good, with full en-suite (not all have this) and sea views. Breakfast was a served full Manx or similar and many additions on a serve your self basis. Evening meals, good value for money, especially the Wednesday Steak night, £25 for 2 with a bottle of house wine. Overall we have to say we had a very good 5 night stay and consider we had value for money at a central location.

Room Tip: worth the walk up 47 stairs for a sea view room
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 April 2013

I was at this hotel on the 19/4/2013 for a overnight stay, I had read reviews and was worried about going there as I was travelling alone. I arrived very early and the staff were really lovely and approachable Chris booked me in and gave me my room before the actually time of booking in which really helped me out as i was over for a interview. Room was lovely and even although there is no staff here apart from when cleaning I felt very save. The only down side for me was that the room was cold overall I had a lovely stay would defo stay here again. Oh yeah breakfast was great yes you have to go down to the HQ bar and restaurant but it was well worth it. Just want to say thanks to all the staff.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 April 2013

The other half and myself had a lovely stay here at the Rosslyn. We were a little worried as we read other reviews for staying here the night before and there was one that had made it sound like a hell hole, when actually it is far from it. The room was beautiful the staff are very polite and friendly and the food was delicious. We will be deffinitely staying again and have reccommended to others.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed 3 April 2013

After being moved from the nearby Glen Mona hotel to this, another in the same chain, we had yet another disappointing experience.

The hotel is not staffed day or night, instead being managed from the nearby HQ bar. Though two of us checked in, we were given one towel to share. Despite asking twice for another one, it was not delivered to the room. I had to ask a third time at the bar and be given the last one from the cupboard (no hand towels were available) for my troubles.

The room itself was old, with the bathroom having a bit of a spider problem, the main light in the room completely out, and heater off throughout the entire day (despite it being 0C during our stay), and the internet that we were promised nonexistent. We asked for the internet router to be reset twice, and were twice reassured that this would happen, but twice disappointed.

Rooms are not cleaned during the day at all; the only housekeeping experience we had during our three day stay was one knock at 6pm asking if we wanted more toilet paper.

The reason for our move was noise in the Glen Mona. The woman who moved us assured us that there were only four others in the hotel at the time, on the floor two above ours. This is because the hotel is laid out with 2-3 rooms in a private doored corridor, with the noise from those rooms carrying mightily. Despite this assurance, we were woken on our first night at 4am by a man in the room directly across from us entertaining a woman from the casino down the road. Being lied to by absentee management is unacceptable, especially after having been denied a refund for the same issue the night before. Again, with no staff in the hotel, we were forced to knock on his door ourselves and deal with that awkward situation rather than having the option of ringing the porter.

With so many sleepless nights we never managed to make it to the breakfast we had paid for. Never managed to access the internet that was included. And froze to the bone each night in bed. I will NEVER pay another penny into this chain of hotels. Avoid at all costs, unless you like to be left alone to run riot. Worst hotel experience ever.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank amanda_abroad
Reviewed 16 September 2012

ok so this hotel is unstaffed and Premier Holidays do it no favours by not letting people know of the on going situation. However, the staff at the VERY CLOSE BY Mereside Hotel more than compensate with their extremely professional and friendly attitudes towards all guests whichever hotel they are staying in. My partner and i stayed for a week 1 Sept to 8th for the bowling festival and i can trully say that our room (No 5) was spotless and cleaned to a very high standard on a regular daily basis. Meals at the Mereside we found to be very reasonably priced especially the themed nights ( 2 steak meals, 2 side orders and a bottle of wine for £25!) and the breakfasts were excellant. All the staff cannot do enough for you. Special thanks to Hayley and Chris. Feel like we have made new friends. Looking forward to seeing you if not before then next year for the bowling festival.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple