“Terrific! Well worth the visit!”

HQ Bar and Restaurant
Ranked #23 of 161 Restaurants in Douglas
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Part of Mereside Guesthouse
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Terrific! Well worth the visit!”
Reviewed 20 July 2011

A fantastic restaurant - top quality food, very well priced with a very talented chef and attentive serving staff. Definitely worth a trip. We cannot speak highly enough of the place. Top marks all round.

• Visited July 2011

Douglas, United Kingdom
“Upsetting”
Reviewed 10 January 2011

I went to this place after having rave reviews from my daughter.

I and my partner arrived just before opening time, the manager let us in out of the rain and made us feel very welcome even though he had only just opened the door.

For our starters we had garlic mushrooms and Pate. The garlic Mushrooms were served with hot crusty Rolls and were enjoyed by both of us at the table. The Pate was just that Pate and nothing to write home about.

For my partners main meal he had the Gammon Egg Pineapple and chips which even I have to say (and I dont normally eat Gammon) it was delicious.

For my meal I ordered the Lamb cutlets and asked for Mash Potato, The mashed potato tasted of nothing at all and was lumpy it was just very bad. the mash was surrounded with this sort of green oil which also seemed to taste of nothing, after having a taste of the lamb I asked my partner to taste it lol we nearly ate a full lamb chop which tasted very weird only then to smell it, it stank. The manager came over and I asked him to smell it he agreed and said he would take it away, asking me whether I would like to order something else instead, no idea why I even said it but said I would have some garlic mushrooms. When he took them to the kitchen I heard him tell the "chef" that there was something wrong with the chops.

The Garlic Mushrooms arrived along with some garlic bread, no fork, knife or even Spoon was offered at the time so helped myself to a knife and fork.

To add insult to injury when I went to pay for the bill the Manager pointed out that he had charged me for the Garlic Mushrooms, but had taken off the price of the lamp chops off the bill

I would love to say that all this happened on a very busy night but there was only us two and a single man in the place

The whole experience was very upsetting and the food as you can see from above a very mixed experience

• Visited January 2011
2 Thank JoyceM47
South Yorkshire
“A hidden gem”
Reviewed 5 October 2010

We visited HQ after seeing it listed in the Isle of Man food guide as using local ingredients, and checking the menu out online. We were looking for an upmarket but unpretentious restaurant, and HQ advertises itself online as a fine dining experience.

We were a little anxious when we walked up to the door as the restaurant is situated beside the public bar of the Mereside guesthouse - it certainly didn't look like fine dining. We spent a few minutes deciding whether to go in or to scarper, but it was Saturday evening and, although it wasn't what we expected, it did look inviting.

As we entered, we were immediately greeted by the manager - a friendly young chap, who sorted drinks and menus. Unlike the previous night at the TyNi, the HQ serves a good choice of draught beers, including a very nice beer from a micro brewery in Laxey. He explained that the menu we had seen online had changed as it was seasonal, but there were still plenty of choices and off-menu specials to suit us.

I ordered pate, and my partner had the tomato soup, both choosing fillet steak as our main course. The starters arrived and were the best we had tasted all week. The pate was clearly homemade and extremely tasty, and the tomato soup was thick, sweet and again homemade. It was also delicious. Our steaks came, and were extremely well cooked. I like my steak medium/rare and it was cooked to perfection - so often the outside is cremated and the centre barely warm, but not on this occasion. The chips and onion rings were also homemade. Mustard was automatically offered too. As we found thoughout the Isle of Man, portions were huge, leaving no space for dessert.

Throughout the meal, the manager came to ensure that we were completely happy with our meal. Service was attentive but without being intrusive. Our bill, including 2 pints each, came to approx. £55, which was excellent value.

If you want true fine dining, then I guess you would look to go to JAR or Chapters, and pay accordingly. However, if you think that sauce is a perfectly acceptable word instead of the now trendy jus, but want excellent quality, locally sourced food, well cooked and in a friendly environment, then HQ is the place for you.

2 Thank Maltby43