All reviewspiano barthe penthouseburger barsea viewisle of manexecutive roomcentral promenadekipperssingle roombuffet stylecoach partyreception staffsea frontcoach tripevening mealbreakfast was excellentelectric railway
Reviewed 13 March 2012

Stayed at this hotel which on the whole was very clean apart from the spa area/pool. When we booked this hotel we paid a £50 deposit and got an email confirming this and that the balance of £210 should be paid on departure. When we actually checked in on the 9th March 2012 the receptionist advised they were pre-authorising our card but didnt mention any amount. When checking my bank account on the 10th March I found £350 missing from my account. My bank could not identify the culprit who had taken the funds. I then cancelled my card. After returning to the hotel the head receptionist said oh yes we do this all the time - nice of them to tell us this. We then had to use another card to settle our hotel bill but the outcome of this is that our £350 is still not in our account. The hotels response to this is that even though my bill is settled we can't get the pre-assigned status off our account as I cancelled my card. I am now in the process of fighting to get this resolved. I will never ever give The Empress, Isle of Man my money every again and that is the second time I stayed there.

Room Tip: Definitely a sea view room
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank SDMCL
Reviewed 20 January 2012

Good points: biscuits in room, good shower, comfortable bed

Bad points: overheated to drastic levels even with the radiators turned off, very small room facing a roof area onto which people had thrown rubbish bags, TV didn't work properly, cropping the sides off all pictures even when set to the correct aspect ratio, noisy at night with creaking floors, dirty "health spa" with almost every item of the gym equipment out of order and a rather murky swimming pool (empty footbath), WiFi is almost 5 GBP per night, bread rolls at breakfast were stale and inedible (croissants were OK) and reception staff were surly.

For £40 a night you might put up with some of this, but not for £80!

Room Tip: The executive rooms have a sea view but are more expensive. A standard double is extremely small and inward-facing.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank rogerzilla
Reviewed 7 December 2011

The location is great, but even when the hotel is not full you are not given a sea view room. That would have made my stay! The room I was given was small, but a queen size bed did just fit in it. The bathroom was comfortable and of a good size. The breakfast was of good quality too. As for the availability of WiFi you need to pay 5 Stg a day – the hotel does not provide their outgoing server address and failed to understand that it is of no consequence to them to do so – this left me without the possibility of sending emails during my stay. The place has a sort of charm but the management must understand that even though as a guest I look for the classic charm, IT requirements of the day are essential.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank AlexisCallus1
Reviewed 29 November 2011

Stayed at this hotel for 2 nights. Looking at the other hotels in the street, it looked like one of the best. The hotel is in a good position for the bus to/from the airport, shops, theatre, cinema and is right on the coast. On the whole, the hotel was clean, with the exception of the valance sheet, windows and net curtains in the room. We had dinner in the restaurant which was a reasonable price for "eat as much as you like". The food (Indian and Chinese) was really nice and we did not have any complaints. The staff are ok, one of the ladies in the restaurant was very nice and helpful.

Room Tip: Pay extra for the seaview.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank offwegoagain68
Reviewed 26 November 2011

This is the second time I have stayed here. Sad to say the hotel is looking a bit tired.The spa area is in need of a re-furb or a deep clean. Room was basic, small, stuffy and over-heated.
On the positive side the staff were friendly, professional and helpful, the breakfast was self service buffet style and the quality of the food was excellent - really lovely bacon, black pudding etc.
Perhaps a bit of cash injection is needed here.......

Room Tip: ask for a sea view
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo