I went to the Isle of Man for a long weekend with the missus recently and stayed at The Empress. I've stayed at this hotel a few years ago and remember liking it. It was however the first time my wife has stayed here and the Isle of Man for that matter. The terrible weather meant that we spent more time in the hotel than we intended but this wasn't necessarily a bad thing. Our room overlooked the beach front giving a fantastic view. The room itself was nice and cosy, even though it was huge. The bed was big and comfortable, the shower had good power, all of things I expect from a good hotel.
The hotel's restaurants were great. We managed to eat in all 3 of the restaurants. The Aroma, which serves a buffett for dinner was good with decent choice and fresh. The Conservatory restaurant was very nice. This exceeded our expectations, the food was excellent and the evening was very nice. It certainly gave us a sense of occasion. Finally the Piano Bar, we spent a lot of time there in the evening and during the day for lunch. It had a very relaxed atmosphere, which was perfect for us. The food was delicious and the portions were ginormous. I definitely feel like I got value for money not just with regards to the food but the entire stay.
The staff were all very friendly and helpful, be it the reception staff, bar staff, waitresses, whatever I didn't have a bad word about anyone. Im a big fan of motor racing so was interested in the TT route. A guy at the reception, Trevor, if I remember correctly, was a petrolhead like me and if you ever want to know more about the TT or driving routes on the island, he's your man.
All in all, no complaints and we had a brilliant time, save for the hurrendous ferry journey to and from the island.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Empress Hotel offers three star comfort and has 102 bedrooms of which there are 3 luxurious executive suites with separate lounge area. There are a number of Executive Sea View rooms and a fantastic top floor Penthouse overlooking the whole of Douglas Bay. All of the remaining Classic single, double and twin bedrooms are fully equipped with the comforts of home. For dining, we have The Brasserie Restaurant offering an ala carte selection of carefully prepared dishes by our expert team of chefs and this is located by reception. Alongside the restaurant is the Piano Bar which is open from 11am until late with our resident pianist playing 4 days a week and Sky Sports also available for Sports fans. Our Manx Gourmet Burger Restaurant is open on the lower ground floor, serving the best locally produced burgers on the Island. The hotel has a small gym, sauna and steam room for residents only use, along with our Beauty & Massage Suite operated by Halcyon Beauty. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, Cancelon and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your The Empress Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Empress Hotel Douglas
- Empress Hotel Isle Of Man
- The Empress Hotel Isle Of Man/Douglas