All reviews piano bar the penthouse burger bar sea view isle of man executive room central promenade kippers single room buffet style coach party reception staff sea front coach trip evening meal breakfast was excellent electric railway
Reviewed 2 May 2012

I went to the Isle of Man for a long weekend with the missus recently and stayed at The Empress. I've stayed at this hotel a few years ago and remember liking it. It was however the first time my wife has stayed here and the Isle of Man for that matter. The terrible weather meant that we spent more time in the hotel than we intended but this wasn't necessarily a bad thing. Our room overlooked the beach front giving a fantastic view. The room itself was nice and cosy, even though it was huge. The bed was big and comfortable, the shower had good power, all of things I expect from a good hotel.

The hotel's restaurants were great. We managed to eat in all 3 of the restaurants. The Aroma, which serves a buffett for dinner was good with decent choice and fresh. The Conservatory restaurant was very nice. This exceeded our expectations, the food was excellent and the evening was very nice. It certainly gave us a sense of occasion. Finally the Piano Bar, we spent a lot of time there in the evening and during the day for lunch. It had a very relaxed atmosphere, which was perfect for us. The food was delicious and the portions were ginormous. I definitely feel like I got value for money not just with regards to the food but the entire stay.

The staff were all very friendly and helpful, be it the reception staff, bar staff, waitresses, whatever I didn't have a bad word about anyone. Im a big fan of motor racing so was interested in the TT route. A guy at the reception, Trevor, if I remember correctly, was a petrolhead like me and if you ever want to know more about the TT or driving routes on the island, he's your man.

All in all, no complaints and we had a brilliant time, save for the hurrendous ferry journey to and from the island.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ash168
Reviewed 30 April 2012

Despite the wet and windy weather forecast, the Easter week was very pleasant around the island, and our enjoyment was greatly enhanced by the quality of our stay at The Empress Hotel. We had an excellent bright and sunny (honestly!) room on the third floor, with good views across the bay. Everything was spotlessly clean, and the room was serviced promptly each morning.
Breakfast was a delight - great choice of items from the buffet, and very attentive staff ensured we had everything we needed. Restaurant food was also very good, again with excellent service from the waiting staff.
We would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to others.

Room Tip: Sea view essential to get the full wonderful effect!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank HertfordDerek
Reviewed 27 April 2012

We spent Easter at the Empress on our first visit to the Isle of Man. We were impressed with the cleanliness throughout the hotel. It was sparkling clean and smelt very fresh. The staff were extremely polite and very helpful. There was a wedding reception held on the Saturday but we were not disturbed by this. The Aroma buffet restaurant was good value for money with tasty food replished often. We also thought the breakfast was of a good standard according to the cost of staying at the hotel.

Room Tip: We would recommend that if you stay to ask for a sea view room.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank AnnieBEssex
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Just back from a my weekend stay at The Empress Hotel. This was my second visit to the hotel. The hotel was originally recommended to me by friends who are very well travelled and again we were not disappointed.

We arrived in the middle of a heavy downpour but received a very warm welcome from the reception staff. Our room was modern, a good size and spotlessly clean with a great shower and comfy bed. Although the hotel is situated on a main road, we couldn't hear the traffic but instead we got an amazing view of the bay!

The hotel is in a superb location just minutes walking distance from the main sights and shopping areas in Douglas. Overall, the staff were very friendly, helpful and professional. It seemed nothing was a problem for them (and I don’t say this lightly as I am a bit of a stickler when it comes to good customer service!!). For dinner, after seeing the menu at “The Conservatory” restaurant (there are three different restaurants in the hotel!), we decided to eat in the restaurant and were thoroughly impressed with the quality of food and value. We also had lunch in the Piano Bar on our last day and again the food and service was very good.

For me, the Empress Hotel has everything - It is very conveniently located, first rate customer service, lovely spacious rooms, use of a gym and sauna facilities and great (and excellent value) dining options. All the individuals in the party I was with could not fault this hotel. We will definitely be back again - a real winner!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank westendlad
Reviewed 22 April 2012

Had a very enjoyable stay at the Empress for 4 nights in April 2012.

The hotel is in a great location, right on the promenade, about a 5 minute walk from the centre of Douglas.

The room was clean and well decorated, with a good sized bathroom with both bath and shower.

Good choice for breakfast (buffet) with Manx Kippers being available on request - which were very good.

Also a very comfortable bar area with views of the sea which was very well patronised.

The only critisism would be the temperature in the bedroom, which was always too hot for us, even with windows open and the radiators turned off.

All of the staff were unfailingly helpful, and we would not hesitate to return.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple