All reviewspiano barthe penthouseburger barsea viewisle of manexecutive roomcentral promenadekipperssingle roombuffet stylecoach partyreception staffsea frontcoach tripevening mealbreakfast was excellentelectric railway
Reviewed 18 May 2012

This hotel continues to impress, i came here last year for a short break and i chose it for its grandeur surroundings, great location over looking the seafront and promenade. 1st impressions were good with warm welcoming porter who assisted with dealing with our luggage and check in was efficient and welcoming. Double Room was clean, spacious and warm with pleasant decor. Coming back to the Empress after a year ago, i must commend the management for its faultless service, good quality food and well trained staff, making my stay once again an enjoyable experience. Exceptionally good value.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Vicenzo
Reviewed 8 May 2012

One of the most awfull hotel I have ever stayed in, in my business and traveling career.
I loved the Islanders though especially our taxi driver, we got to see alot in the 1,5 day we were at the Island.
Very unfriendly front desk person, not attentive and a disgrace to the ownership of this hotel.
Since policy is policy No early check in! just wait in the bar area !!!! till WE are ready.
most unprofessional attitude I've ever seen. Bar food while waitingv to check in was below standard en partly cold, with a smiling waiter: The beer was ok but to beexpected since from a reknown Netherlands make.I asked him " What are you smiling for" ... NO answer ... I told him
YOU just wait and smile after you see your tip!" End of conversation and no more smiles till we left.

Room Tip: Do not go here unless you like to have the rudest experience in a live time. I've been and travel around the world to alot of places but was really discusted. I did not know this was still possible in 2011.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Pete V
Reviewed 2 May 2012

I went to the Isle of Man for a long weekend with the missus recently and stayed at The Empress. I've stayed at this hotel a few years ago and remember liking it. It was however the first time my wife has stayed here and the Isle of Man for that matter. The terrible weather meant that we spent more time in the hotel than we intended but this wasn't necessarily a bad thing. Our room overlooked the beach front giving a fantastic view. The room itself was nice and cosy, even though it was huge. The bed was big and comfortable, the shower had good power, all of things I expect from a good hotel.

The hotel's restaurants were great. We managed to eat in all 3 of the restaurants. The Aroma, which serves a buffett for dinner was good with decent choice and fresh. The Conservatory restaurant was very nice. This exceeded our expectations, the food was excellent and the evening was very nice. It certainly gave us a sense of occasion. Finally the Piano Bar, we spent a lot of time there in the evening and during the day for lunch. It had a very relaxed atmosphere, which was perfect for us. The food was delicious and the portions were ginormous. I definitely feel like I got value for money not just with regards to the food but the entire stay.

The staff were all very friendly and helpful, be it the reception staff, bar staff, waitresses, whatever I didn't have a bad word about anyone. Im a big fan of motor racing so was interested in the TT route. A guy at the reception, Trevor, if I remember correctly, was a petrolhead like me and if you ever want to know more about the TT or driving routes on the island, he's your man.

All in all, no complaints and we had a brilliant time, save for the hurrendous ferry journey to and from the island.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ash168
Reviewed 30 April 2012

Despite the wet and windy weather forecast, the Easter week was very pleasant around the island, and our enjoyment was greatly enhanced by the quality of our stay at The Empress Hotel. We had an excellent bright and sunny (honestly!) room on the third floor, with good views across the bay. Everything was spotlessly clean, and the room was serviced promptly each morning.
Breakfast was a delight - great choice of items from the buffet, and very attentive staff ensured we had everything we needed. Restaurant food was also very good, again with excellent service from the waiting staff.
We would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to others.

Room Tip: Sea view essential to get the full wonderful effect!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank HertfordDerek
Reviewed 27 April 2012

We spent Easter at the Empress on our first visit to the Isle of Man. We were impressed with the cleanliness throughout the hotel. It was sparkling clean and smelt very fresh. The staff were extremely polite and very helpful. There was a wedding reception held on the Saturday but we were not disturbed by this. The Aroma buffet restaurant was good value for money with tasty food replished often. We also thought the breakfast was of a good standard according to the cost of staying at the hotel.

Room Tip: We would recommend that if you stay to ask for a sea view room.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple