“Impressed by the Empress?” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Empress Hotel

The Empress Hotel
Ranked #6 of 22 Hotels in Douglas
Bangor.N Ireland
“Impressed by the Empress?”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2012

We stayed a week at this hotel in early July, and found it impressive in most respects. Our room was on the 4th floor;accessible by rather eccentric lift; but was very clean,comfortable and of reasonable size. The sheets were exceptionally soft - I wish I knew what fabric conditioner they use(!) and the towels white and fluffy.
The food was also very good; breakfast seemed to be freshly cooked;there was a good choice of bar meals (including two "healthy options"); the restaurant in the conservatory excellent ; and the Aroma buffet (all you can eat) an interesting combination of Indian and Chinese.
There was a live pianist in the bar of an evening, which was nice, if you like that sort of easy listening music ( classical, he wasn't).
There only negative points I would mention are : (1) Wi-fi is NOT free. Why not? It is such a small but important point. We found ourselves haunting internet cafes.
(2) Few if any of the staff were local. Communication was sometimes limited and often slow, and there seemed to be no one in charge who could answer any queries.
There was a problem with the water supply on the Island during our stay - a 'don't drink' tap water notice was issued - and whilst other establishments on the promenade offered free bottled water ; The Empress did not. We demanded -eventually - some free water ; but there was no gesture of good will - or even good health - on the matter.
So would we stay there again - I think so . I enjoyed it more than last year's sojourn at The Palace Hotel . Would I recommend it _ again, yes , despite the wifi and water. Find yourself a couple of local employees and all your problems would be over.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view on the first floor- the lift is old.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Reganlefay

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
Southport, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2012

I cancelled my booking at the last minute when I found the hotel charged for Wi-Fi. I changed to the Admiral House Hotel where wi-fi was free. I had never stayed there before but found it was a far superior hotel, in a better position (just opposite the boat terminal) with excellent food, service and accomodation. I wonder how much business the Empress loses for not providing a service which is becoming more and more essential these days yet which costs them nothing?

Room Tip: Try the Admiral House!!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Ron500
Sutton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2012

We stayed at the Empress Hotel in Douglas during the second week of June, and although the hotel was busy and the weather was lousy, we had a great stay.

The room was very comfortable and clean, and the food was great. We hired a car to explore the Island, but the weather was against us I'm afraid, so we spent most evenings relaxing in the bar where there was a piano playing.

To be honest, the one thing that impressed us most was when we returned, the receptionist asked what kind of day we had, and we found them very helpful in suggesting things to do..

We plan to visit again next year and will defiantly consider the Empress again.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea facing room
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
letterkenny
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2012

Stayed in the Empress for 5 days from 12th june-17 2012 on arrival at 10am we were met by a lovely welcoming guy called Ashish he was so helpful he checked us in right away which was great as we were expecting to have to wait till at least 2pm! Everything about the Empress was fab our room was plenty big and had a seaview we had paid extra for it but was worth it. We ate in the consrvatory,which was lovely, but our favourite was the Aroma downstairs it was eat all you like for £16.95 indian and chinese it was gorgeous and again the staff which included Ashish and Nicola couldn't help the customers enough! The breakfast at the Empress was out of this world i have never tasted 'tastier bacon and mushrooms' and again you could have as much as you liked! only a 10 minute walk to the shops which was grt and have to mention Lukas the barman so friendly again and nothing was a bother. I would recomend the empress 100% and would definetly stay there again. A taxi from the airport was £25 but the bus cost £5 for two and it stops 2 minutes from the Empress i think its every hour.

Room Tip: get a seaview
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank scoobyLetterkenny
Berlin, Germany
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2012

One of the most awfull hotel I have ever stayed in, in my business and traveling career.
I loved the Islanders though especially our taxi driver, we got to see alot in the 1,5 day we were at the Island.
Very unfriendly front desk person, not attentive and a disgrace to the ownership of this hotel.
Since policy is policy No early check in! just wait in the bar area !!!! till WE are ready.
most unprofessional attitude I've ever seen. Bar food while waitingv to check in was below standard en partly cold, with a smiling waiter: The beer was ok but to beexpected since from a reknown Netherlands make.I asked him " What are you smiling for" ... NO answer ... I told him
YOU just wait and smile after you see your tip!" End of conversation and no more smiles till we left.

Room Tip: Do not go here unless you like to have the rudest experience in a live time. I've been and tra...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Pete V
Manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2012

I went to the Isle of Man for a long weekend with the missus recently and stayed at The Empress. I've stayed at this hotel a few years ago and remember liking it. It was however the first time my wife has stayed here and the Isle of Man for that matter. The terrible weather meant that we spent more time in the hotel than we intended but this wasn't necessarily a bad thing. Our room overlooked the beach front giving a fantastic view. The room itself was nice and cosy, even though it was huge. The bed was big and comfortable, the shower had good power, all of things I expect from a good hotel.

The hotel's restaurants were great. We managed to eat in all 3 of the restaurants. The Aroma, which serves a buffett for dinner was good with decent choice and fresh. The Conservatory restaurant was very nice. This exceeded our expectations, the food was excellent and the evening was very nice. It certainly gave us a sense of occasion. Finally the Piano Bar, we spent a lot of time there in the evening and during the day for lunch. It had a very relaxed atmosphere, which was perfect for us. The food was delicious and the portions were ginormous. I definitely feel like I got value for money not just with regards to the food but the entire stay.

The staff were all very friendly and helpful, be it the reception staff, bar staff, waitresses, whatever I didn't have a bad word about anyone. Im a big fan of motor racing so was interested in the TT route. A guy at the reception, Trevor, if I remember correctly, was a petrolhead like me and if you ever want to know more about the TT or driving routes on the island, he's your man.

All in all, no complaints and we had a brilliant time, save for the hurrendous ferry journey to and from the island.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ash168
Glasgow, Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

Just back from a my weekend stay at The Empress Hotel. This was my second visit to the hotel. The hotel was originally recommended to me by friends who are very well travelled and again we were not disappointed.

We arrived in the middle of a heavy downpour but received a very warm welcome from the reception staff. Our room was modern, a good size and spotlessly clean with a great shower and comfy bed. Although the hotel is situated on a main road, we couldn't hear the traffic but instead we got an amazing view of the bay!

The hotel is in a superb location just minutes walking distance from the main sights and shopping areas in Douglas. Overall, the staff were very friendly, helpful and professional. It seemed nothing was a problem for them (and I don’t say this lightly as I am a bit of a stickler when it comes to good customer service!!). For dinner, after seeing the menu at “The Conservatory” restaurant (there are three different restaurants in the hotel!), we decided to eat in the restaurant and were thoroughly impressed with the quality of food and value. We also had lunch in the Piano Bar on our last day and again the food and service was very good.

For me, the Empress Hotel has everything - It is very conveniently located, first rate customer service, lovely spacious rooms, use of a gym and sauna facilities and great (and excellent value) dining options. All the individuals in the party I was with could not fault this hotel. We will definitely be back again - a real winner!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends