We stayed a week at this hotel in early July, and found it impressive in most respects. Our room was on the 4th floor;accessible by rather eccentric lift; but was very clean,comfortable and of reasonable size. The sheets were exceptionally soft - I wish I knew what fabric conditioner they use(!) and the towels white and fluffy.
The food was also very good; breakfast seemed to be freshly cooked;there was a good choice of bar meals (including two "healthy options"); the restaurant in the conservatory excellent ; and the Aroma buffet (all you can eat) an interesting combination of Indian and Chinese.
There was a live pianist in the bar of an evening, which was nice, if you like that sort of easy listening music ( classical, he wasn't).
There only negative points I would mention are : (1) Wi-fi is NOT free. Why not? It is such a small but important point. We found ourselves haunting internet cafes.
(2) Few if any of the staff were local. Communication was sometimes limited and often slow, and there seemed to be no one in charge who could answer any queries.
There was a problem with the water supply on the Island during our stay - a 'don't drink' tap water notice was issued - and whilst other establishments on the promenade offered free bottled water ; The Empress did not. We demanded -eventually - some free water ; but there was no gesture of good will - or even good health - on the matter.
So would we stay there again - I think so . I enjoyed it more than last year's sojourn at The Palace Hotel . Would I recommend it _ again, yes , despite the wifi and water. Find yourself a couple of local employees and all your problems would be over.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Empress Hotel offers three star comfort and has 102 bedrooms of which there are 3 luxurious executive suites with separate lounge area. There are a number of Executive Sea View rooms and a fantastic top floor Penthouse overlooking the whole of Douglas Bay. All of the remaining Classic single, double and twin bedrooms are fully equipped with the comforts of home. For dining, we have The Brasserie Restaurant offering an ala carte selection of carefully prepared dishes by our expert team of chefs and this is located by reception. Alongside the restaurant is the Piano Bar which is open from 11am until late with our resident pianist playing 4 days a week and Sky Sports also available for Sports fans. Our Manx Gourmet Burger Restaurant is open on the lower ground floor, serving the best locally produced burgers on the Island. The hotel has a small gym, sauna and steam room for residents only use, along with our Beauty & Massage Suite operated by Halcyon Beauty. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo and Agoda so you can book your The Empress Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Empress Hotel Douglas
- Empress Hotel Isle Of Man
- The Empress Hotel Isle Of Man/Douglas