All reviewspiano barthe penthouseburger barsea viewisle of manexecutive roomcentral promenadekipperssingle roombuffet stylecoach partyreception staffsea frontlovely hotelcoach tripevening mealbreakfast was excellent
Reviewed 17 July 2012

I have stayed in many Douglas hotels and have always found the standard very good.The Empress for me has the others well beaten.From the moment me and my wife checked in i was impressed by the efficient staff and the excellent manager Brian.We were over for a Scooter Rally which i organised and we had about 25 scooterists staying at the Empress.We also hired a function room for our Friday night party with disco.Everything i asked for and needed i got without question.The hotel was spotless and there were always staff cleaning.The room with a lovely sea view was bright spacious and clean.The breakfast was buffet style and a huge choice of cereal fruit and piping hot traditional food.We had so much to do and organise over the weekend a sub standard hotel would have caused us a few headaches,This was never the case with this brilliant hotel.We will now always stay at the Empress as long as this standard is maintained

Room Tip: It is worth paying extra for a sea view but always a danger of noise from early morning revellers on the promenade.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 July 2012

We stayed a week at this hotel in early July, and found it impressive in most respects. Our room was on the 4th floor;accessible by rather eccentric lift; but was very clean,comfortable and of reasonable size. The sheets were exceptionally soft - I wish I knew what fabric conditioner they use(!) and the towels white and fluffy.
The food was also very good; breakfast seemed to be freshly cooked;there was a good choice of bar meals (including two "healthy options"); the restaurant in the conservatory excellent ; and the Aroma buffet (all you can eat) an interesting combination of Indian and Chinese.
There was a live pianist in the bar of an evening, which was nice, if you like that sort of easy listening music ( classical, he wasn't).
There only negative points I would mention are : (1) Wi-fi is NOT free. Why not? It is such a small but important point. We found ourselves haunting internet cafes.
(2) Few if any of the staff were local. Communication was sometimes limited and often slow, and there seemed to be no one in charge who could answer any queries.
There was a problem with the water supply on the Island during our stay - a 'don't drink' tap water notice was issued - and whilst other establishments on the promenade offered free bottled water ; The Empress did not. We demanded -eventually - some free water ; but there was no gesture of good will - or even good health - on the matter.
So would we stay there again - I think so . I enjoyed it more than last year's sojourn at The Palace Hotel . Would I recommend it _ again, yes , despite the wifi and water. Find yourself a couple of local employees and all your problems would be over.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view on the first floor- the lift is old.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Reganlefay
Reviewed 11 July 2012

I cancelled my booking at the last minute when I found the hotel charged for Wi-Fi. I changed to the Admiral House Hotel where wi-fi was free. I had never stayed there before but found it was a far superior hotel, in a better position (just opposite the boat terminal) with excellent food, service and accomodation. I wonder how much business the Empress loses for not providing a service which is becoming more and more essential these days yet which costs them nothing?

Room Tip: Try the Admiral House!!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Ron500
Reviewed 3 July 2012

Spent 2 nights, in the hotel very friendly staff, good rooms good food

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank koi7
Reviewed 1 July 2012

We just completed a 4 night stay at the Empress, having stayed their previously a number of years ago. The Hotel hasn't changed, the foyer, reception, bar etc is clean and well presented. The conservatory style front on the hotel means you have a great view over the bay whilst enjoying a drink at the bar. We booked a suite so that we could have a sea view and more space etc. The room was quite clean but is was in need of modernisation in terms of the decor, fixtures and fittings etc, .There was a kettle in the room but we opted not to use it as it wasn't in the best condition. The section of the hotel we stayed in appeared older, and the lift twas quite small. Breakfast was good if you like a decent fry and a good start to the day. The hotel did from memory used to have a pool, however this is now closed although there is a gym and sauna. Staff are friendly and a mixture of manx and eastern european. The hotel appeared busy and appears to appeal to slightly older people and there appeared to be a coach party there during our stay. There was a piano player in the bar each night, which adds to the appeal of the hotel in the evening. We would stay in the Empress again although I do think a little bit of investment in the bedrooms would improve the overall appeal of the hotel.

Room Tip: Try and get a sea facing room.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family