“Top marks for the Empress Hotel”
Review of The Empress Hotel

The Empress Hotel
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Douglas
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Top marks for the Empress Hotel”
Reviewed 26 July 2012

Have just spent 4 days at the Empress Hotel in Douglas, Isle of Man and cannot fault it. The hotel itself was very comfortable, clean and tidy with an elegant feel to it . There were two restaurants - an all you can eat buffet and the one I chose to eat where I was served , and I ate in the conservatory overlooking the sea. The food was very good and not too expensive. And to top it off I have never been in a hotel where the staff were as attentive, helpful and polite as here, they really made my stay. I certainly would stay here again.

Room Tip: As I did not intend to spend too much time in the room I did not choose to pay a little extra for a...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Janee75

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
newcastle
Reviewed 20 July 2012

Two weeks working in The Isle of Man and stayed here and was glad we finished early. The rooms are tiny you had to shuffle past the bed to get around, no point in having a desk as you couldn't sit at it and unless your pretty flexiable getting in to the shower would be hard work. Plumbing in the hotel not working so if anyone on your corridor has an early shower your were woken by the droning noise of the pipes. Room view a leaking gutter. TV channels only half worked of the 10 available.
Plus side bar food good, breakfast good choice, staff were friendly always saying hello in the morning just dont try and cancel your last night or your in for a right faff.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Jamesfury
Bangor.N Ireland
Reviewed 14 July 2012

We stayed a week at this hotel in early July, and found it impressive in most respects. Our room was on the 4th floor;accessible by rather eccentric lift; but was very clean,comfortable and of reasonable size. The sheets were exceptionally soft - I wish I knew what fabric conditioner they use(!) and the towels white and fluffy.
The food was also very good; breakfast seemed to be freshly cooked;there was a good choice of bar meals (including two "healthy options"); the restaurant in the conservatory excellent ; and the Aroma buffet (all you can eat) an interesting combination of Indian and Chinese.
There was a live pianist in the bar of an evening, which was nice, if you like that sort of easy listening music ( classical, he wasn't).
There only negative points I would mention are : (1) Wi-fi is NOT free. Why not? It is such a small but important point. We found ourselves haunting internet cafes.
(2) Few if any of the staff were local. Communication was sometimes limited and often slow, and there seemed to be no one in charge who could answer any queries.
There was a problem with the water supply on the Island during our stay - a 'don't drink' tap water notice was issued - and whilst other establishments on the promenade offered free bottled water ; The Empress did not. We demanded -eventually - some free water ; but there was no gesture of good will - or even good health - on the matter.
So would we stay there again - I think so . I enjoyed it more than last year's sojourn at The Palace Hotel . Would I recommend it _ again, yes , despite the wifi and water. Find yourself a couple of local employees and all your problems would be over.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view on the first floor- the lift is old.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Reganlefay
Southport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2012

I cancelled my booking at the last minute when I found the hotel charged for Wi-Fi. I changed to the Admiral House Hotel where wi-fi was free. I had never stayed there before but found it was a far superior hotel, in a better position (just opposite the boat terminal) with excellent food, service and accomodation. I wonder how much business the Empress loses for not providing a service which is becoming more and more essential these days yet which costs them nothing?

Room Tip: Try the Admiral House!!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Ron500
Sutton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2012

We stayed at the Empress Hotel in Douglas during the second week of June, and although the hotel was busy and the weather was lousy, we had a great stay.

The room was very comfortable and clean, and the food was great. We hired a car to explore the Island, but the weather was against us I'm afraid, so we spent most evenings relaxing in the bar where there was a piano playing.

To be honest, the one thing that impressed us most was when we returned, the receptionist asked what kind of day we had, and we found them very helpful in suggesting things to do..

We plan to visit again next year and will defiantly consider the Empress again.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea facing room
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
letterkenny
Reviewed 18 June 2012

Stayed in the Empress for 5 days from 12th june-17 2012 on arrival at 10am we were met by a lovely welcoming guy called Ashish he was so helpful he checked us in right away which was great as we were expecting to have to wait till at least 2pm! Everything about the Empress was fab our room was plenty big and had a seaview we had paid extra for it but was worth it. We ate in the consrvatory,which was lovely, but our favourite was the Aroma downstairs it was eat all you like for £16.95 indian and chinese it was gorgeous and again the staff which included Ashish and Nicola couldn't help the customers enough! The breakfast at the Empress was out of this world i have never tasted 'tastier bacon and mushrooms' and again you could have as much as you liked! only a 10 minute walk to the shops which was grt and have to mention Lukas the barman so friendly again and nothing was a bother. I would recomend the empress 100% and would definetly stay there again. A taxi from the airport was £25 but the bus cost £5 for two and it stops 2 minutes from the Empress i think its every hour.

Room Tip: get a seaview
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank scoobyLetterkenny
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 8 May 2012

One of the most awfull hotel I have ever stayed in, in my business and traveling career.
I loved the Islanders though especially our taxi driver, we got to see alot in the 1,5 day we were at the Island.
Very unfriendly front desk person, not attentive and a disgrace to the ownership of this hotel.
Since policy is policy No early check in! just wait in the bar area !!!! till WE are ready.
most unprofessional attitude I've ever seen. Bar food while waitingv to check in was below standard en partly cold, with a smiling waiter: The beer was ok but to beexpected since from a reknown Netherlands make.I asked him " What are you smiling for" ... NO answer ... I told him
YOU just wait and smile after you see your tip!" End of conversation and no more smiles till we left.

Room Tip: Do not go here unless you like to have the rudest experience in a live time. I've been and tra...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple