All reviews piano bar the penthouse burger bar sea view isle of man executive room central promenade kippers single room buffet breakfast coach party lovely hotel reception staff sea front coach trip evening meal electric railway
Reviewed 18 August 2012

From the outside hotel looks spacious and grand and indeed the reception room and bar is. My room however was small, hot and noisy. Kept awake all night by the humming of machinery which was strange as the room had no air conditioning. Couldn't open the window as I faced onto a central courtyard which was full of noisy plant too (doing what?). Food in the restaurant was good but breakfast is a bit of a bun fight as you will often find yourself battling for a seat with coach tours. They also charge for internet access which these days is unacceptable. Next trip I'm staying elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Duffnutt09
Reviewed 18 August 2012

Good location on the prom and within walking distance of town & ferry terminal, room are very small not filthy but not immaculate either.

Breakfast is buffet style, this was nice didn't eat there at night so can't comment. Bar area is nice with a piano being played in the evening, some other areas of the hotel are quite dated however.

My main gripes are that they charge you for wifi, and the booked the hotel on the understanding there was a pool, this has been closed since February apparently we complained about this at reception we got knowhere, some of the reception had a bad attitude!

For a couple of days it's fine but wouldn't really want to stay any longer!

Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Robbolapool
Reviewed 5 August 2012

Visited this hotel with my family members. The hotel was beautifully clean with a nice relaxing atmosphere. The food in the conservatory restaurant was excellent, especially the fish and chips which was really nicely presented and not too expensive. The staff were very pleasant and attentative to every need.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 August 2012

Just returned after spending 5 nights at the Empress Hotel and what a lovely hotel. It is right on
the Central Promenade in Douglas. The Piano Bar was a lovely relaxing space to unwind and watch the world go by. The bar staff went out of their way to be friendly. We ate in the Conservatory on one evening and I must say the meal was delicious and well presented. Very good value for money too. We had a standard room at the rear of the hotel so unfortunately no sea view but it was very clean and modern although a little small. Mind you the bed was HUGE and there was an armchair and coffee table. The maid service was very thorough and the room was usually made up by the time we returned from breakfast. That just leaves the breakfast - Excellent choice and plenty of it. Would highly recommend and we hope to visit again and book an Executive Sea view room.

Room Tip: The sea view rooms have bay windows and are much larger.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Scotty187049
Reviewed 26 July 2012

Have just spent 4 days at the Empress Hotel in Douglas, Isle of Man and cannot fault it. The hotel itself was very comfortable, clean and tidy with an elegant feel to it . There were two restaurants - an all you can eat buffet and the one I chose to eat where I was served , and I ate in the conservatory overlooking the sea. The food was very good and not too expensive. And to top it off I have never been in a hotel where the staff were as attentive, helpful and polite as here, they really made my stay. I certainly would stay here again.

Room Tip: As I did not intend to spend too much time in the room I did not choose to pay a little extra for a sea view but my room was well equipt and kept very clean and tidy.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple