“Thoroughly relaxing”
Review of The Empress Hotel

The Empress Hotel
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Douglas
Reviewed 25 August 2012

We have just returned from a ten day break on the island, our first visit. As commented the hotel is well positioned on the prom, and is near to all the town facilities. Although the room was "standard" and we arrived with some trepidation after reading some of the reviews commenting on the "poky" rooms our fears were misplaced. The room was spacious with desk, chairs and a sofa along with a perfectly acceptable bathroom and clean. The maid service staff were very polite.
The piano bar is a good size and very well appointed, the bar and restaurant menu both providing decent food at prices not greatly different from the many eateries in town, which on the whole also tended to be rather good. Breakfast was also good and as well as the buffet items manx kippers were cooked to order which were lovely.
All in all we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Empress which will certainly figure on our list when we revisit the Isle, a lovely place.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 18 August 2012

From the outside hotel looks spacious and grand and indeed the reception room and bar is. My room however was small, hot and noisy. Kept awake all night by the humming of machinery which was strange as the room had no air conditioning. Couldn't open the window as I faced onto a central courtyard which was full of noisy plant too (doing what?). Food in the restaurant was good but breakfast is a bit of a bun fight as you will often find yourself battling for a seat with coach tours. They also charge for internet access which these days is unacceptable. Next trip I'm staying elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Duffnutt09
Reviewed 18 August 2012

Good location on the prom and within walking distance of town & ferry terminal, room are very small not filthy but not immaculate either.

Breakfast is buffet style, this was nice didn't eat there at night so can't comment. Bar area is nice with a piano being played in the evening, some other areas of the hotel are quite dated however.

My main gripes are that they charge you for wifi, and the booked the hotel on the understanding there was a pool, this has been closed since February apparently we complained about this at reception we got knowhere, some of the reception had a bad attitude!

For a couple of days it's fine but wouldn't really want to stay any longer!

Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Robbolapool
Reviewed 26 July 2012

Have just spent 4 days at the Empress Hotel in Douglas, Isle of Man and cannot fault it. The hotel itself was very comfortable, clean and tidy with an elegant feel to it . There were two restaurants - an all you can eat buffet and the one I chose to eat where I was served , and I ate in the conservatory overlooking the sea. The food was very good and not too expensive. And to top it off I have never been in a hotel where the staff were as attentive, helpful and polite as here, they really made my stay. I certainly would stay here again.

Room Tip: As I did not intend to spend too much time in the room I did not choose to pay a little extra for a...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Janee75
Reviewed 20 July 2012

Two weeks working in The Isle of Man and stayed here and was glad we finished early. The rooms are tiny you had to shuffle past the bed to get around, no point in having a desk as you couldn't sit at it and unless your pretty flexiable getting in to the shower would be hard work. Plumbing in the hotel not working so if anyone on your corridor has an early shower your were woken by the droning noise of the pipes. Room view a leaking gutter. TV channels only half worked of the 10 available.
Plus side bar food good, breakfast good choice, staff were friendly always saying hello in the morning just dont try and cancel your last night or your in for a right faff.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Jamesfury
Reviewed 14 July 2012

We stayed a week at this hotel in early July, and found it impressive in most respects. Our room was on the 4th floor;accessible by rather eccentric lift; but was very clean,comfortable and of reasonable size. The sheets were exceptionally soft - I wish I knew what fabric conditioner they use(!) and the towels white and fluffy.
The food was also very good; breakfast seemed to be freshly cooked;there was a good choice of bar meals (including two "healthy options"); the restaurant in the conservatory excellent ; and the Aroma buffet (all you can eat) an interesting combination of Indian and Chinese.
There was a live pianist in the bar of an evening, which was nice, if you like that sort of easy listening music ( classical, he wasn't).
There only negative points I would mention are : (1) Wi-fi is NOT free. Why not? It is such a small but important point. We found ourselves haunting internet cafes.
(2) Few if any of the staff were local. Communication was sometimes limited and often slow, and there seemed to be no one in charge who could answer any queries.
There was a problem with the water supply on the Island during our stay - a 'don't drink' tap water notice was issued - and whilst other establishments on the promenade offered free bottled water ; The Empress did not. We demanded -eventually - some free water ; but there was no gesture of good will - or even good health - on the matter.
So would we stay there again - I think so . I enjoyed it more than last year's sojourn at The Palace Hotel . Would I recommend it _ again, yes , despite the wifi and water. Find yourself a couple of local employees and all your problems would be over.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view on the first floor- the lift is old.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Reganlefay
Reviewed 11 July 2012

I cancelled my booking at the last minute when I found the hotel charged for Wi-Fi. I changed to the Admiral House Hotel where wi-fi was free. I had never stayed there before but found it was a far superior hotel, in a better position (just opposite the boat terminal) with excellent food, service and accomodation. I wonder how much business the Empress loses for not providing a service which is becoming more and more essential these days yet which costs them nothing?

Room Tip: Try the Admiral House!!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business