All reviews piano bar the penthouse burger bar sea view isle of man central promenade executive room kippers buffet breakfast single room lovely hotel sea front coach party night stay coach trip douglas bay four nights
Reviewed 12 March 2013

Me and my boyfriend and 4 other friends recently went to this hotel for the darts competition nearby.We got a ferry which meant that we would need an early check in at 7.30am, which was agreed on the phone would be fine. When we arrived only 2 of the bedrooms were ready while mine was not. The receptionist was rude and said that we would have to wait 8 hours until the other people checked out! After a bit of waiting in the receptionist area, he said that he would try and find us a room. When he found us one we took all outlr luggage up to the third floor to find tat the room had not been cleaned. We wnt back downstairs and told him we were not happy. He then told us to have breakfast while he found us another. ( we had to pay £10 per breakfast and had obviously been out for a while since the eggs were hard). When we finally got to our room it was extremly small and was boiling at night,. We wont be going again.

(By the way this is my first review on tripadvisor showing how angry and upset I was at the hotel)

Date of stay: March 2013
1  Thank lydz94
Reviewed 25 February 2013

We stayed at this hotel over the New Year and were very impressed. The Aroma buffet restaurant serves an excellent range of Chinese and Indian food. You can eat as much as you like and the price is very reasonable. We stayed in the Penthouse Suite which has a fabulous balcony overlooking Douglas bay. The hotel is decorated beautifully throughout. We will definitely be staying there again.

Room tip: Get a front facing room with wonderful sea views
Date of stay: December 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 February 2013

I have stayed at this hotel before and enjoyed the faded grandeur and fantastic promenade location and bay views. This time i arrived late due to the very poor taxi service at the airport (if more than one plane comes in at once and you are on the second arrival, forget it you have to wait an age on a taxi - my advice if you are on al late flight in pre-book)). I arrived at 10pm hungry and in need of a drink. I was told the kitchen was closed but that there was an Indian Restaurant round the corner. I went to the Indian and was duly fed, but I would have welcomed some effort by the hotel to feed me - it's these little things that make the difference. My room was cramped but comfortable. Breakfast was good.

Date of stay: February 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank Grant N
Reviewed 19 January 2013

When it comes to the Isle of Man I am biased because I used to live there. It is a wonderful place to live and to visit. The Empress was always a favourite with our friends who came to visit and now when we go back we chose to stay there. The staff are very helpful and the breakfasts are excellent. The hotel is in a great position on the prom. The room we had was clean and comfortable. The prices are reasonable. We are planning a trip for a group of friends in May and we have all booked into the Empress again - we really like the large lounge with views over the sea to gather in during the evening. First time guests need to know there is no hotel car park - but don't panic as there is always room on the prom. A tip for anyone travelling to the island for the first time - remember to pick up a free parking disc on the boat or at the airport. There are plenty of places where you can park for free for 2 hours - but you must display a disc.

Date of stay: May 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Mary R
Reviewed 19 January 2013

We stayed here for 10days last April (2012 )and we had a lovely room with a fantastic view of the bay ( which is similar to Naples but much greener and tidier). Its within walking didtance( and on the flat ) of the main shopping streetin Douglas and the buses which are frequent,and go all over the island, stop outside the door
The manager- who is Manx was very helpful and customer orientated- I asked for an ironing board and he brought it up here and then( no "we will contact housekeeping and one will be brought to your room" and you are still waiting three-quarters of an hour later)
It was all completed by the waiters who were all Bulgarian and fantastic observant but unobtrustive, attentive without being obsquieous,. We had stayed in a Best Western in Hampshire the week before, their dining room had only English staff the contrast between the twowas ernormous and not in the English favour

Room tip: ask for a room overlooking the bay-just for the view
Date of stay: April 2012