We stayed in this hotel over the weekend of 28JUN14. We were attending my brothers wedding. I was best man at this event and my wife and I along with many extended family members from across The UK and Northern Ireland booked this in November of 2013. We were therefore surprised when some things went wrong and to be honest I was a bit annoyed.
Firstly the good points, we arrived on Thursday 26th and over the next 48 hours or so met up with other family members and made final arrangements for this Wedding.
I met up with duty manager Trevor and he expertly guided me about the Wedding proceedings, for which I was very grateful. His help and advice throughout this period was invaluable.
The breakfast meals we had were excellent and my thanks should go to the chef, as his bacon was very tasty. We did not have any evening meals at The Hotel as I spent most of my time running around making sure all the plans would fall into place.
On the big day itself everything went off without a hitch and this again is thanks to Manager/Boss Brian and Trevor as they were very professionally. They guided me throughout and I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel as a Wedding Venue. All the set up in the Wedding room and at The Reception was first class. The meal we had was outstanding and I am sure I can speak for all the wedding guests when I say the meal and service was 2nd to none. Many Thanks to all staff involved.
The reception night and disco was truly perfect. The set up, the atmosphere and the general way it was organised were faultless. My request for an extra table was dealt with immediately. All the guests got seated and thoroughly enjoyed the evening. I must mention here that the disco, think it was called: Mark Cowin’s Disco: He was truly fab. I have not been to a disc for about 30 years but he played music to suit all tastes. I even got up and danced with my wife.
If I was to give this hotel marks out of 10 for a wedding venue and service they would get 11.
However, then it went wrong, and even though these points may not be important to some people, they were important to me.
Bye the time I had made sure all guests at reception, that were not staying overnight, had left it was just after 1AM. I then settled down with my family to unwind and discuss the day’s events. I was then informed that the bar was shutting in five minutes and I should place my last orders. Now as I had about 15-20 family members in the bar I was a bit surprised to say the least. We were all bonafina guests of this hotel and I had assumed that the word HOTEL meant we could get an alcoholic drink (within reason) when we felt like it. I would appreciate if this hotel could confirm this (or not)
We then shortly drifted of to our bedrooms etc but I was not very happy, as it’s not very often my family from across the UK get together.
We then come to the biggest disappointment of the weekend,
We all agreed in November of 2013 to stay and extra day into 29JUN14 and throw a surprise 60th birthday party for the groom.
Imagine my annoyance and disbelief on that morning to be told that the hotel had no booking or reference for this 60th party.
It took a bit of running around before we, or rather other family members, could prove that booking was made and accepted by the hotel in November 2013.
That did not alter the fact that hotel could not provide a booking that was confirmed in November. We done our best with Trevor (Duty Manager) but reluctantly, decided that as hotel could not provide what was requested we would just have to cancel the meal and go with the birthday cake (which we provided) with tea and coffee. I personally think the hotel could have done a bit more to resolve this ie they could have provided sandwiches etc just to make amends. This was not done so we were left in reception bar with our own cake and a cup or tea/coffee
It was just as well that the groom did not know that this was going to happen. From his point of view he did not miss something that he did expect.
The hotel does not seem to realise that myself and other family members would not have stayed in this hotel an extra night (at extra costs) except for this none event 60th party
If hotel had told me or other family members that they could not do this 60th on a Sunday, say, then we would have made other arrangements for Williams 60th
I will contact this hotel for their comments in a week or so but in the meantime I will close in saying
Yes we enjoyed our stay, but if you make a mistake or a missed booking can you not deal with it more professionally manner to suit your guests
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Empress Hotel offers three star comfort and has 102 bedrooms of which there are 3 luxurious executive suites with separate lounge area. There are a number of Executive Sea View rooms and a fantastic top floor Penthouse overlooking the whole of Douglas Bay. All of the remaining Classic single, double and twin bedrooms are fully equipped with the comforts of home. For dining, we have The Brasserie Restaurant offering an ala carte selection of carefully prepared dishes by our expert team of chefs and this is located by reception. Alongside the restaurant is the Piano Bar which is open from 11am until late with our resident pianist playing 4 days a week and Sky Sports also available for Sports fans. Our Manx Gourmet Burger Restaurant is open on the lower ground floor, serving the best locally produced burgers on the Island. The hotel has a small gym, sauna and steam room for residents only use, along with our Beauty & Massage Suite operated by Halcyon Beauty. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, LateRooms, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Odigeo, Travel Republic (UK), Agoda, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your The Empress Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Empress Hotel Douglas
- Empress Hotel Isle Of Man
- The Empress Hotel Isle Of Man/Douglas