“Oh dear”
Review of The Empress Hotel

The Empress Hotel
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Douglas
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I can't help thinking this place has been resting on its laurels for many years since the heady days of the 1970s when it may well have been one of the best places to stay on the island. It was like a very mediocre bed and breakfast on a grand scale and really, really needs to up its game. But perhaps it doesn't need to - perhaps everywhere is as bad, and the income from the TT keeps them all afloat when, in a different place, they'd sink below the surface.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank C J M

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Was here in July for four days. Although we had a room at the rear, which had no view whatsoever, it was a perfectly nice size room, with all the amenities you will need. Breakfast is a buffet which set us up for the day and was very good. Didnt use the bar or restaurant although we did have a meal at the gourmet burger place downstairs. Again, nothing out of this world but perfectly OK for us. Overall, I would recommend this if you want a decent Hotel right on the prom, but cant help thinking that it was no better than a Premier Inn or similar in England, but at twice the price.
However, the Island is a jewell, which made the cost of the trip more than worthwhile.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chris R
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Stayed here overnight on the 14th July 2015 in a single room while working in Douglas.

In short this hotel is average, would stay here whilst on business but not for a holiday it just lacks a touch of class. The bartenders doubled up as waiters so it took sometime to get a drink. Breakfast was reasonable as was the evening meal.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank sddeliveries
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Lovely hotel ideal location in town with good service would not recommend coming if you are in a wheel chair or with a pram. The only entrance is through the restaurant which is only open from 5pm so u have to somehow get reception to ask them to open the door of the restaurant to let you in. Then once you in the main reception the only ramps are to the function room then there are steps to everywhere else the bar seating area.

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Manxmonkey89
Reviewed 14 July 2014

The Empress is conveniently situated at the mid-point of the Douglas seafront. Entry is via a flight of stairs but those with mobility problems can access a lift via a ground-floor entrance. Preferably, this should be advised by some signage but I did not see any.
Public rooms are bright, spacious, well-kept and comfortable. Our standard en-suite room had no view to speak of and was a little on the compact side but it was all in order, clean and comfortable. The en-suite was fitted with a shower over the bath which maintained an even temperature. Again, if you have mobility problems, an additional grab handle to assist getting in and out the bath would be of some help. Some guests did complain of noise disturbance from the (kitchen?) ventilation fans but we did not have any problems and slept well.
The staff were unfailingly polite, helpful and efficient; willing to go the extra mile to ensure guests' comfort.
The food was some of the best I have encountered in a holiday hotel being varied, ample, of good quality and well-presented. This applied to both breakfasts and dinners.
Finally, the IoM must be the most under-promoted island imaginable and yet it has so much to offer. Give it a try and, if you stay at the Empress, you should have an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank SteamingMariner
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I knew that we were at the correct address when I saw the Victorian glassed entrance. The Empress Hotel is a lovely, historic hotel situated along the ocean front in Douglas on the Isle of Man. It is about a ten minute walk from the ferry but you can take the tram too. The horses clip, clop in front of the hotel all day. We wanted a sea view and though warned about the noise level we asked for a large front facing room. Our room was really spacious and comfortable. The noise did not bother us(quieter at night) and the sea breeze was lovely. We loved watching the sunset and all the lights that lit up the town. The room was clean and the hallways were very quiet even with all the tours that come through. The lobby of this historic hotel is wonderful with live piano music playing in the evening, a really nice pub and dining room overlooking the ocean. The food was very good in the dining room and one night we went downstairs to a restaurant situated there for a milk shake and a hamburger…both delicious. The breakfast in the morning was an English breakfast and a small buffet if you would prefer. The front desk was helpful and all in all we enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a large room as they are wonderfully spacious. If you really want peace and quiet however as...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hockney
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We stayed in this hotel over the weekend of 28JUN14. We were attending my brothers wedding. I was best man at this event and my wife and I along with many extended family members from across The UK and Northern Ireland booked this in November of 2013. We were therefore surprised when some things went wrong and to be honest I was a bit annoyed.
Firstly the good points, we arrived on Thursday 26th and over the next 48 hours or so met up with other family members and made final arrangements for this Wedding.
I met up with duty manager Trevor and he expertly guided me about the Wedding proceedings, for which I was very grateful. His help and advice throughout this period was invaluable.
The breakfast meals we had were excellent and my thanks should go to the chef, as his bacon was very tasty. We did not have any evening meals at The Hotel as I spent most of my time running around making sure all the plans would fall into place.
On the big day itself everything went off without a hitch and this again is thanks to Manager/Boss Brian and Trevor as they were very professionally. They guided me throughout and I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel as a Wedding Venue. All the set up in the Wedding room and at The Reception was first class. The meal we had was outstanding and I am sure I can speak for all the wedding guests when I say the meal and service was 2nd to none. Many Thanks to all staff involved.
The reception night and disco was truly perfect. The set up, the atmosphere and the general way it was organised were faultless. My request for an extra table was dealt with immediately. All the guests got seated and thoroughly enjoyed the evening. I must mention here that the disco, think it was called: Mark Cowin’s Disco: He was truly fab. I have not been to a disc for about 30 years but he played music to suit all tastes. I even got up and danced with my wife.
If I was to give this hotel marks out of 10 for a wedding venue and service they would get 11.

However, then it went wrong, and even though these points may not be important to some people, they were important to me.
Bye the time I had made sure all guests at reception, that were not staying overnight, had left it was just after 1AM. I then settled down with my family to unwind and discuss the day’s events. I was then informed that the bar was shutting in five minutes and I should place my last orders. Now as I had about 15-20 family members in the bar I was a bit surprised to say the least. We were all bonafina guests of this hotel and I had assumed that the word HOTEL meant we could get an alcoholic drink (within reason) when we felt like it. I would appreciate if this hotel could confirm this (or not)
We then shortly drifted of to our bedrooms etc but I was not very happy, as it’s not very often my family from across the UK get together.
We then come to the biggest disappointment of the weekend,
We all agreed in November of 2013 to stay and extra day into 29JUN14 and throw a surprise 60th birthday party for the groom.
Imagine my annoyance and disbelief on that morning to be told that the hotel had no booking or reference for this 60th party.
It took a bit of running around before we, or rather other family members, could prove that booking was made and accepted by the hotel in November 2013.
That did not alter the fact that hotel could not provide a booking that was confirmed in November. We done our best with Trevor (Duty Manager) but reluctantly, decided that as hotel could not provide what was requested we would just have to cancel the meal and go with the birthday cake (which we provided) with tea and coffee. I personally think the hotel could have done a bit more to resolve this ie they could have provided sandwiches etc just to make amends. This was not done so we were left in reception bar with our own cake and a cup or tea/coffee
It was just as well that the groom did not know that this was going to happen. From his point of view he did not miss something that he did expect.
The hotel does not seem to realise that myself and other family members would not have stayed in this hotel an extra night (at extra costs) except for this none event 60th party
If hotel had told me or other family members that they could not do this 60th on a Sunday, say, then we would have made other arrangements for Williams 60th
I will contact this hotel for their comments in a week or so but in the meantime I will close in saying
Yes we enjoyed our stay, but if you make a mistake or a missed booking can you not deal with it more professionally manner to suit your guests
John Adams