This is a large hotel with an impressive reception area, it is only when you try to get to your room that you see the difference. There is only one small lift to take you to all 4 floors and it can get stuck on any one of them. If you don't book a "Sea Facing" room you will be given one that is dark and small and (as our one did) look over the kitchen area with the extractor and smell of the cooking. I don't think any of the rooms have a good view, only the front ones. They have over 400 rooms and the walls are thin so every time a visitor enters their room, the doors bang very loudly and the walls shake. They don't seem to like coach tour people and we felt like "second class citizens". We were moved about to different eating area's for our evening meals and had them on our own (our group), we felt as if they just wanted to hide us away from the other guests and hovered over us as soon as the final course was served. The breakfast room is located in the basement and the staff there were very cheerful and helpful. The facilities in the hotel are a swimming pool that is only 1.25 metres deep,; a Sauna and a Jacussi.
The disabled entrance is through the basement so you have to wait ages for the lift to take you to your floor.
On the plus side, the Empress is in a very good position and the food can be very good.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Empress Hotel offers three star comfort and has 102 bedrooms of which there are 3 luxurious executive suites with separate lounge area. There are a number of Executive Sea View rooms and a fantastic top floor Penthouse overlooking the whole of Douglas Bay. All of the remaining Classic single, double and twin bedrooms are fully equipped with the comforts of home. For dining, we have The Brasserie Restaurant offering an ala carte selection of carefully prepared dishes by our expert team of chefs and this is located by reception. Alongside the restaurant is the Piano Bar which is open from 11am until late with our resident pianist playing 4 days a week and Sky Sports also available for Sports fans. Our Manx Gourmet Burger Restaurant is open on the lower ground floor, serving the best locally produced burgers on the Island. The hotel has a small gym, sauna and steam room for residents only use, along with our Beauty & Massage Suite operated by Halcyon Beauty. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Odigeo, Agoda, Traveltool, S.L.U. and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Empress Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Empress Hotel Douglas
- Empress Hotel Isle Of Man
- The Empress Hotel Isle Of Man/Douglas