I've stayed here before, its probably the 2nd best hotel in Douglas (after the Sefton). I've had a variety of rooms, all have been ok. This time there was a problem.
This time I thought I was really lucky, to get a large room right on the front overlooking the sea. Wonderful! Or so I thought...
At night, the outside of the hotel is lit up with a brilliant blue light - probably thought up by a teenager somewhere as a cool idea. It can be seen glowing from the far side of the harbour.
Unfortunately, the glow is caused by very bright searchlight type units mounted outside the front of the hotel, pointing up at the hotel to light it up. It works so well that at 3am the first night I was reading in bed by the light leaking around, under and over the blackout curtains. I complained the next day and was told the lights should go off at midnight. there seemed to be little concern by management.
The next night was fine though - I opened the window and tugged on the wire attached to my own personal searchlight and managed to point it away from the hotel, out to sea. So I slept ok, and and lost ships at sea had a bright light to guide them!
The facilities of the hotel were good as always - there is a pool, the breakfast was great, buffet style, with tea served by helpful Polish staff. Reception were efficient, the hotel was about £60 per night for the room and 2 people. The hotel is ten minutes walk from the main shopping street, and 15 from the electric railway at the far end of town. One general problem is that it doesn't have any car parking - although it was possible, and fairly easy, to park on the road outside the hotel.
I will stay there again but ask for a room at the side away from the blue lights!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Empress Hotel offers three star comfort and has 102 bedrooms of which there are 3 luxurious executive suites with separate lounge area. There are a number of Executive Sea View rooms and a fantastic top floor Penthouse overlooking the whole of Douglas Bay. All of the remaining Classic single, double and twin bedrooms are fully equipped with the comforts of home. For dining, we have The Brasserie Restaurant offering an ala carte selection of carefully prepared dishes by our expert team of chefs and this is located by reception. Alongside the restaurant is the Piano Bar which is open from 11am until late with our resident pianist playing 4 days a week and Sky Sports also available for Sports fans. Our Manx Gourmet Burger Restaurant is open on the lower ground floor, serving the best locally produced burgers on the Island. The hotel has a small gym, sauna and steam room for residents only use, along with our Beauty & Massage Suite operated by Halcyon Beauty. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda and Odigeo so you can book your The Empress Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Empress Hotel Douglas
- Empress Hotel Isle Of Man
- The Empress Hotel Isle Of Man/Douglas