“Distinctly average”

Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Douglas
London, United Kingdom
“Distinctly average”
Reviewed 8 July 2007

The Empress is a distinctly average hotel, with nothing to particularly praise or criticise. My overall impression was of a somewhat dated, but clean hotel. The hotel reception staff were friendly and accommodating, but the bar staff were abrupt and rude in the evening, refusing to serve coffee if they were too busy. I was also surprised to be given a single bed in a box room, as it seems the norm these days to be given a double bed even for a single booking. I would suggest asking for a double bed on booking if you are a single person. I would also suggest getting out of Douglas if possible. This is just like any other provincial town in the UK and the island has many more interesting places to see and visit. I particularly recommend Port Erin and the area around Peel castle. Both have great traditional villages nearby and offer the opportunity of observing seals at close hand and watching basking sharks from the shore or by boat.

• Liked — Clean, helpful reception staff
  • Disliked — Small room, single bed, rude bar staff
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank Banjo D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Warrington.
Reviewed 29 May 2007

I was on business and stayed one night. As a woman on my own this hotel felt safe and comfortable. The room which had been booked for me was small, and over a flat roof. I asked the lovely receptionist (an eastern european girl with long auburn hair) if there was a nicer room, and I was given a large room on the second floor with no fuss.
I had a steak and salad in the restaurant, which was perfect. The waitress noticed I was on my own, with a magazine, and kindly placed me at a table with good lighting so I could read.
Breakfast was of the buffet variety, fine.
The swimming pool was quite small, but this is often the case in hotel pools, I didnt go in it but it looked clean and deep.
On the day I left, the receptionist called me a taxi, again with no fuss and much kindness.
I intend to go back to the Empress with my husband for a weekend, to go walking in the Isle of Man. Reccomended!

• Liked — the kind staff
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled on business
2 Thank penky
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 April 2007

Pleasant hotel with all amenities. Not ideal for elderly visitors as disabled entrance is through brasserie in basement and there are series of small (but low) steps throughout the hotel. Main entrance lobby is up steep steps. Very nice lobby area with excellent view over the sea (due to height) and conservatory area.

Staff were very accommodating and pleasant. Breakfast was ample but mediocre. There is currrently a vast building site next door, so make sure you have a room on the west side of the building.

• Liked — Friendly staff and great lobby
  • Disliked — View from back room
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank MaGabriel
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2007

I've stayed here before, its probably the 2nd best hotel in Douglas (after the Sefton). I've had a variety of rooms, all have been ok. This time there was a problem.

This time I thought I was really lucky, to get a large room right on the front overlooking the sea. Wonderful! Or so I thought...

At night, the outside of the hotel is lit up with a brilliant blue light - probably thought up by a teenager somewhere as a cool idea. It can be seen glowing from the far side of the harbour.

Unfortunately, the glow is caused by very bright searchlight type units mounted outside the front of the hotel, pointing up at the hotel to light it up. It works so well that at 3am the first night I was reading in bed by the light leaking around, under and over the blackout curtains. I complained the next day and was told the lights should go off at midnight. there seemed to be little concern by management.

The next night was fine though - I opened the window and tugged on the wire attached to my own personal searchlight and managed to point it away from the hotel, out to sea. So I slept ok, and and lost ships at sea had a bright light to guide them!

The facilities of the hotel were good as always - there is a pool, the breakfast was great, buffet style, with tea served by helpful Polish staff. Reception were efficient, the hotel was about £60 per night for the room and 2 people. The hotel is ten minutes walk from the main shopping street, and 15 from the electric railway at the far end of town. One general problem is that it doesn't have any car parking - although it was possible, and fairly easy, to park on the road outside the hotel.

I will stay there again but ask for a room at the side away from the blue lights!

• Liked — locaction and atmosphere
  • Disliked — external blue lights penetrating the room at night
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled on business
1 Thank Martin-F-UK
Paisley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 November 2006

The room was tiny – one of those places where you have twelve inches around three sides of the bed, and no more. I tripped over my luggage several times.

The staff are all Polish and very smiley. I ate in the restaurant one night, and it was fine. Breakfast good as well.

The pool is so tiny you wonder why they bothered. When I went, there was a couple with a child in there – if I was to get in, someone else would have to get out. So I gave up.

Quiet hotel though.